Fixing tubed fruit tree?

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
So I have got several spindly fruit trees that won't stand up on their own. Should I cage and top them or do I just stake them and let them go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With tree tubes you are supposed to let the tree girth fill the tube prior to removing it. If you have already removed you can try staking it.

If you are still struggling come next year prune it way back and let it restart.

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have crab apples and hardwoods that grew fast and spindley in tree tubes due to staking with stout t-posts. But hey the t-post were free from ripping out lots fence. What I do is pull the one t-post and put it back with a second post, one each side in a line about 12 to 18 inches from the trunk. Run some 1/4 inch rope to each side of the tube and tension to the top of each post some. Gives a fair amount of flex and in about 2or3 years you can take down and move to the next batch of trees. Just got done with another dz trees last weekend same routine

When I start seedlings indoors under lights, they grow so fast that they can be lanky and need support. Trees need to flex in the wind so they don't become brittle and break in high wind. For things like apple seedlings, I like to use cement cages. I then string rope through the cage to form a square around the central leader. This allows the tree to move in any direction but limits the amount of movement. It keeps the tree growing generally vertical. Here is an example of one:

b14ab23a-3593-4d96-a2e2-f475b80461fd.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited: