fishing reports

Recovering from 25 hours in the boat. We heard of a good tuna bite going off about 90 miles from our port. Had 4 of us lined up to go. Fuel in the boat, bait in the boat, 300 lbs of ice in the boat and 2 guys backed out. The plan was to chug our way down at about 10 knots to save fuel and be there in 10 hours, fish and then chug home. When the guys backed out my son and I said f-it let's leave now. 10PM Tuesday night we left the dock. About an hour into chugging at 10 knots and calculating fuel burn we decided we could make it but would be sucking fumes on the way home. I had checked the sat shots of the ocean before leaving and saw good warm water in "our" Atlantic canyons. But no reports because no one has fished in two weeks.

We decided to turn east and give it a try. I don't have pics but we caught our first Blue Marlin right at sunset on Wednesday evening. Coolest thing I've seen, blue Marlin dancing on the water with sun setting over the ocean in the background. Blue marlin take 3 guys to catch. 1 fighting the fish, 1 maneuvering the boat and a leader man to control the fish at the boat. When the leader man touches the the snap swivel on the leader it's a legal catch. That fish had me spinning the boat every which way for 30 minutes. When he was finally close enough I left the controls and became leader man. When I got the fish somewhat under control on the leader my son said can I put the rod down and get my phone. I said yes but he wasn't fast enough. The fish took a last jump from the transom and the hook pulled. Awesome even with out that damn picture...

Rewind. At noon on Wednesday we had our first hit after 4 hours of trolling and thinking we made the wrong decision. 1 fish hit 1 of 7 trolling lures and spun drag like crazy. Finally stopped and charged the boat. Smart bastard got off. Probably a rouge Bigeye tuna but no telling for sure. We were crushed but carried on.

Hit a few of the lobster pot buoys for Mahi that lay under them. Since no one had fished in 2 weeks because of high winds the pots were loaded and the fish were not shy. Normally we have to work to get them to bite because their boat shy. A naked bucktail had 15 Mahi attacking it. We threw back lots of peanuts and sight targeted the bigger ones. Mahi is good but it's not Tuna so we threw about 20 smaller ones back before returning to the troll.

5 PM Wednesday the drag sang again and we put 50lb yellowfin in the box.. 6:30 we had a double. I put the boat in auto pilot at idle and we reeled in a big Mahi and a smaller yellowfin tuna. As we finished putting the tuna in the box a reel clicked slowly.

I figured a Mahi found a still bait in the water and grabbed it. My son grabbed the rod and reeled, he said no this is a big fish, maybe tuna. Just then the blue Marlin came tight and danced in the sunset. I don't need a deer this fall! That trip made the year.

IMG_2530.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

Sounds amazing! I'm jealous, envious, covetous, green, etc! Good job on a great trip!

That sounds like a blast!

Seems to me you could have your name in lights ...
Charter Boat Bill
will put you on fish,
until you get your fill!

Seems to me you could have your name in lights ...
Charter Boat Bill
will put you on fish,
until you get your fill!

Much more for me to learn first. I would kinda like to charter down the line or work my son into it as his long term plans are to teach. (Summers off) but for now I don't think I would feel right taking someone's $. Kinda like 20 years ago I wouldn't have taken $ to put a guy on a stand. Today I'd have no problem feeling comfortable with that. ( I just don't want to 😆)

I took a few business clients when I had a boat. Absolutely hated it. Took all the fun out of it for me when I “had” to catch fish

I took a few business clients when I had a boat. Absolutely hated it. Took all the fun out of it for me when I “had” to catch fish

Yeah I hear that. My neighbor decided to lightly try his hand at outfitting. Took about 10 people for 3 or 4 years. Father daughter group and then some guys from down south. Ended up he never hunted himself until late season and he couldn't keep them from shooting 120" bucks.

This year he's back to hunting with him and his cousin. I'm sure he'll have a great time this year..

But he's going to miss the Cajun food those boys from Louisiana brought up!

Nice red fish.

Think these may be some of the truest words ever spoken.

Fished with a very close friend for about 15 years before his job moved him from North Florida to South Florida. Once or twice a year after that he'd call wanting to go out and we'd make a fun trip out together reminiscing on old times and not caring too much about how hot the bite was or wasn't.

THEN... he started asking if he could bring up a few of his new buddies so they could see just how hot the fishing SOMETIMES is in our Big Bend area. He did that once or twice, and honestly with solid results, before I told him I REALLY didn't want to take his buds out again. As SwampCat surely aprpeciates not due to a single bit of jealousy for the new friends, but because it took 100% of the fun out of trips as it had me feeling serious pressure to prep as well as possible days in advance (rigging gear in advance, making sure boat was in tip-top shape, staying micro-focused on weather, etc).

Family and REALLY close friends, however, I absolutely enjoy spending time with. And on that note, just had my younger brother down for a few days and had fun catching some fish with him. 👍

20231009_091212.jpg
20231010_111147.jpg
20231010_125346.jpg

And since he's my brother, and younger one at that, even took the time to catch some fish myself.

20231010_125153.jpg

Did my annual rhode island trip over columbus day weekend. Me and my wife fish from shore. Tog, striped bass, and bonito. No huge trophys, but some easy no hassle fishing. Bass were skinny this year and hitting anything. Green Crabs snd squid strips. Usually they avoid any bait. Stopped keeping gfsh on sunday ause thre mini fridge freezer was stuffed. Just reserved a camping spot for next year. Wife is warming up to using the converted snowmobile trailer for camping.
IMG_20231007_194619.jpg20231007_173533.jpg

Hunting farmland with the nieghbors driving on opening day kinda ticked me off.

So me n the wife took a break. Went to Atlantic City NJ for a few days. She had to work on her computer Monday. So, I went on the Osprey PArty boat. IT's normally in long island, but travels over to Atlantic city for the fall Tog.

Had a good time. Wasn't setup as good s I should of been, but brought a few on the boat. They showed some real monsters on their site, so I thought they were doing 70-90ft water, so I bought a bigger reed and rod than I needed. However, got a few on the boat and brought home dinner. So, can't complain. Some of the nicests deckhands I have ran into. Boat came back almost 2 hours late to try another spot.

Definitely do Again.

Started shooting some pollock with my harpoon gun. It's heckin' cold in the sea this time of year, but the visibility is great. Heading out again in a couple weeks to some new spots.

received_1378926246165756.jpeg

I know you guys love it. But I'm not so sure about that glory hole fishing thing.🫢😜🤣

I like warm sun and blue water. Heavy clothes are for deer hunting. But their having fun so why not....