fishing reports

Finding some huge scallops in Bømlo this weekend. Unfortunately they are not safe to eat right now, so the whole weekend became more of a scouting trip. Didn't see a single fish worth shooting, but found some fantastic shellfish spots.
received_908755090553692.jpeg

Finding some huge scallops in Bømlo this weekend. Unfortunately they are not safe to eat right now, so the whole weekend became more of a scouting trip. Didn't see a single fish worth shooting, but found some fantastic shellfish spots.
View attachment 62017
I've said this before but damn near every time you post I think of "the most interesting guy in the world". You do some damn cool stuff!
Screenshot_20240128_110701_Gallery.jpg

Haha thanks! Yeah I try to keep myself entertained and well fed.

Why couldn't you eat the scallops?

The food safety authority stopped testing them in November. Last test in Øygarden (about two hours north) turned up positive for algae toxins. It's probably safe by now, but I don't take risks like that. They start testing again in March, so I will grab a few dozen when the results show they are safe again. There's blue mussels, oysters, and a few types of clams around there as well.

Is that out of your new pond? That’s a nice perch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes!
The fish have done great so far, we built up a good forage base of minnows and golden shiners and hand feed twice a day in the warm months.
Just started seeing perch egg ribbons this past week. Also have seen some small 3” perch that must have hatched last spring.
Caught one walleye this morning it was around 13” or so. I can’t wait to see how the smallies have done.

Oldest son stopped by today and Grandson #1 caught his first walleye.
He ended up catching four walleye and a half dozen perch in about fifteen minutes.

IMG_7325.jpeg

Wish I could like these 100x!

Oldest son stopped by today and Grandson #1 caught his first walleye.
He ended up catching four walleye and a half dozen perch in about fifteen minutes.

View attachment 63697
That is just outstanding! You're never going to want to leave! I want my own pond so damn bad I can hardly stand myself some days.

What did you all stock for species?

That is just outstanding! You're never going to want to leave! I want my own pond so damn bad I can hardly stand myself some days.

What did you all stock for species?

Late summer/fall 2021 lots of fat head minnows, lots of golden shiners...spring of 2022 150 4" yellow perch, 100 4" red eared sunfish, 12 4" black crappie, 25 4" walleye, late spring around 20 8"-9" yellow perch then early Nov 2022 50 4" small mouth bass.
Spring of 2023 more Golden shiners and minnows.
Spring 2024 100 northern crayfish

The perch red ears and small mouth pulled off a spawn last spring, we hand feed pellets twice a day in the warm months.
Pond is a little over an acre and pretty deep we didn't want to over crowd with fish at all just let them build up on thier own, also didn't want any fish that would/could bother swimmers ever. So no bluegill or bluegill hybrids. We were interested in it just being a perch/smally/walleye pond and will start keeping some fish to eat next winter. For now it is catch and release, after fish are really thriving we will have a few fish fries a year.

The walleye hopefully will help keep the populations of the other fish from getting out of control. In hind sight I never would have put any crappie in.

It's fun just watching the kids catch them so easy right now and the wife and I enjoy seeing them when we feed.

Late summer/fall 2021 lots of fat head minnows, lots of golden shiners...spring of 2022 150 4" yellow perch, 100 4" red eared sunfish, 12 4" black crappie, 25 4" walleye, late spring around 20 8"-9" yellow perch then early Nov 2022 50 4" small mouth bass.
Spring of 2023 more Golden shiners and minnows.
Spring 2024 100 northern crayfish

The perch red ears and small mouth pulled off a spawn last spring, we hand feed pellets twice a day in the warm months.
Pond is a little over an acre and pretty deep we didn't want to over crowd with fish at all just let them build up on thier own, also didn't want any fish that would/could bother swimmers ever. So no bluegill or bluegill hybrids. We were interested in it just being a perch/smally/walleye pond and will start keeping some fish to eat next winter. For now it is catch and release, after fish are really thriving we will have a few fish fries a year.

The walleye hopefully will help keep the populations of the other fish from getting out of control. In hind sight I never would have put any crappie in.

It's fun just watching the kids catch them so easy right now and the wife and I enjoy seeing them when we feed.

There is always hindsight. It’s gonna be a lot of fun to manage that, no matter what happens. You can always put in traps and pour the walleye to those crappies if they get out of hand.

Ever thought about throwing some catfish in? Catfish might eat an extra year class of bigger crappie and sunfish after they get too big for the walleye.

If my ponds ever happen, there will be a perch/walleye pond, and a perch/catfish pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk