fishing reports

I’ll bet that was a blast !

Had our annual northern MN family vaca a week ago. Cass chain. For the 2nd straight year we didn't have any luck daytime fishing for walleye. Trolled cranks on or near the sand flats after dark (which is late that far north). I need to learn how to catch jumbo perch, thinking it would help fill the daytime bite void. Long days - leave the fish cleaning house at 1am then up early for daily dock fishing, swimming, bloodies, boating/tubing etc. It always takes a couple days to recover from this vaca. My wife calls it a trip and not a vacation. It's heaven to me though. I hate Illinois. I'd show pics but it ain't easy following Bill.

I agree it ain’t easy following Bill, we don’t have any marlin around here. 😁We do the best we can to rid the local lakes of these tasty channel cats though ! My granddaughter’s first trip catfishing on Lake Fork in East Texas IMG_5965.jpeg

I'd show pics but it ain't easy following Bill.

Post them up!
fishing is fishing. I'm just in a real big pond...

Ain't no damn white marlin.... but I did catch a rare double earlier this week; crappie and bullhead on a pair of feather jigs. Fried almost 30lbs of fillets for the church's fish fry last night. Good stuff!
Screenshot_20230805_214518_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230805_214555_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230804_210205_Gallery.jpg

Looking good Cat !

My 15 year old is on a mission to catch as many different kinds of fish he can in Wisconsin. He has been trying pretty hard to get a flathead. I was think about getting a guide on the Mississippi River but he pulled this one out of the river by our house last week. 39 3/4 inches 28 lbs. I fished this river for 35 years and never caught a flathead.

Attachments

• Resized_20230729_101458.jpeg
    Resized_20230729_101458.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 23
My 15 year old is on a mission to catch as many different kinds of fish he can in Wisconsin. He has been trying pretty hard to get a flathead. I was think about getting a guide on the Mississippi River but he pulled this one out of the river by our house last week. 39 3/4 inches 28 lbs. I fished this river for 35 years and never caught a flathead.
Wow, that's awesome he's doing that! My oldest did something similar. His hardest to learn was gar. Now he can catch them any time he wants. We have a lot of flats here. Maybe you should bring him to KS for a fishing trip sometime.

He’s got it going on ! I was probably 30 years old before I caught one that big, and even then it was a “company” fish, as in three of us fishing the Red River around Campti, LA..

Wow, that's awesome he's doing that! My oldest did something similar. His hardest to learn was gar. Now he can catch them any time he wants. We have a lot of flats here. Maybe you should bring him to KS for a fishing trip sometime.
Haha, before he caught that one he was asking if we could go to Missouri or Kansas for flathead. He did get a gar a little earlier in the year. Not to many left. Bowfin and sturgeon are next on his target list. Any tips on catching gar? He caught that one on a minnow while smallmouth fishing.

Haha, before he caught that one he was asking if we could go to Missouri or Kansas for flathead. He did get a gar a little earlier in the year. Not to many left. Bowfin and sturgeon are next on his target list. Any tips on catching gar? He caught that one on a minnow while smallmouth fishing.
Bring the kid down, I have a creek full of them (flathead and gar). For gar the kid uses a bare hook under a bobber with minnows. The trick is in the timing. A gar will hold its food in its mouth for a minute or two before eating it. Super hard to hook one in the snout. He let's them swim around for a while before setting the hook.

Sturgeon are on mu bucket list!

There are a lot of dogfish (bowfin) and sturgeon on the Mississippi River. We used to catch a bunch of dogfish using large mepps style spinners in early spring in the Mississippi River backwaters near Winona. You can often see them swimming just under the surface of the water and if you throw something in front of them, they generally try to eat it.

They catch a lot of sturgeon off the great Alma float below the Alma dam. They have a facebook page and you can look back at pictures showing the fish they catch at different times of year. There are a lot of shovelnose sturgeon that I believe you can keep, and also some of the large lake sturgeon that you have to release. You could contact the float owner to ask the best time of year to catch sturgeon. I think the cost to fish there for a day is around $25, so it is a pretty low cost way for your son to check another fish off his list.

Couple of trips out on Lake Michigan. Early June and early August.

5fb5e7f1f7919e2b3777936aabc4dfd1.jpg

79659de581c205b3a8d8b42d10abb533.jpg

e93b618f9a5cb1b93a7740e80b35a9cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he has spoonbill on his list, come my way and we'll put him on some.
Most of the gar we take are with bow, but, a river with some current, single hook with a shad in the current, and you'll either get a gar or the only the shad head left on the hook!
IMG950249.jpg

Most of the gar we take are with bow, but, a river with some current, single hook with a shad in the current, and you'll either get a gar or the only the shad head left on the hook!
View attachment 55920
That's awesome. He would love fishing for spoonbills and flathead/ gar by Catscratch. I couldnt even mention it to him unless we were going for sure because he would be bugging me about it non stop till it happened

View attachment 55920

I'm not far from you. We need to get together for a spoonbill trip (like how I'm inviting myself to use your expertise and boat). I've got a creek with flatheads and a pond with bass n crappie...
ruskbucks and his boy should be involved.

That's awesome. He would love fishing for spoonbills and flathead/ gar by Catscratch. I couldnt even mention it to him unless we were going for sure because he would be bugging me about it non stop till it happened
Lmao, i understand completely, my boy and grandson are the same way! Of course we snag them, it's a blast, and will wear your ass out. Normally we'll fish half a day and catch 3-4, anywhere from 20-90 lbs, but we have had 20+ fish days. We'll have to wait till the end of March thru April when they're running up the river, tho. (Grand river between Ft Gibson lake and Hudson Lake)
The world record was recently taken out of Keystone lake, 30 minutes from my house. The guy has broken his own record a couple of times in the last year. He's a guide and uses livescope to find them, which I don't have. Google it up. I think a young un from Kansas caught the last one, and is now a world record holder.
When spring time rolls back around, I'll be happy to take you all, especially you Cat! Just know that if anyone gets too cocky, I won't chase the fish down with the trolling motor!
Here's a couple more of my boy and my cousin from that same trip...

Attachments

• IMAG0216_resized.jpg
    IMAG0216_resized.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0235 (002).jpg
    IMG_0235 (002).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 19
Lmao, i understand completely, my boy and grandson are the same way! Of course we snag them, it's a blast, and will wear your ass out. Normally we'll fish half a day and catch 3-4, anywhere from 20-90 lbs, but we have had 20+ fish days. We'll have to wait till the end of March thru April when they're running up the river, tho. (Grand river between Ft Gibson lake and Hudson Lake)
The world record was recently taken out of Keystone lake, 30 minutes from my house. The guy has broken his own record a couple of times in the last year. He's a guide and uses livescope to find them, which I don't have. Google it up. I think a young un from Kansas caught the last one, and is now a world record holder.
When spring time rolls back around, I'll be happy to take you all, especially you Cat! Just know that if anyone gets too cocky, I won't chase the fish down with the trolling motor!
Here's a couple more of my boy and my cousin from that same trip...
Simply AWESOME! Those are great fish! I caught a few behind Kaw lake when I was growing up, haven't hooked one in 3 decades though. I'd never get cocky, depending on where hooked they can strip a reel quickly. We see them jump at Grand when I'm spending time with a buddy down there. Impressive to watch one come straight out of the water.