fishing reports

Nope, just the tag.
Our local lake has done dorsal tagging with crappies, then they run a summer long Crappiethon for prizes from local businesses on specific tags like coolers/BBQ grills/fishing gear ect…with the grand prize being $10K or something like that for a certain tag. People pay to enter the contest and local economy gets a boost from the fishing traffic.
How are the crappie doing in your local big lake? I'm off all week, was suppose to be in Canada, but my buddy had a conflict. Thought about taking a day trip to a good crappie lake.

How are the crappie doing in your local big lake? I'm off all week, was suppose to be in Canada, but my buddy had a conflict. Thought about taking a day trip to a good crappie lake.

I haven’t been out but a buddy of mine has been slaying them, BIG ones. He has been hitting the channels on SW side of lake and along West Bank.
Indian Lake has been good too, if you can get at them through the weeds.

The boy and I got out this evening. A bunch of 2 to 4lb bass and some nice crappie. I let a big one get away. She jumped and shook out the hook. Made my knees weak when I saw her.Screenshot_20230606_203355_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230606_203332_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230606_203416_Gallery.jpg

Got our first trip in today. Left the dock at 1 AM. Just got home 9 PM
Didn’t set the world on fire but didn’t get skunked.

Yellowfin tuna

D872C9F6-63F7-43B6-91D7-35331C012472.jpeg

I planned a trip to the BWCA in NE MN for myself, my brother and my 2 nephews (12 and 17). We went from May 29-June 3. First time for all of us. We were fishing east of Ely on lakes connected to the Kawishiwi river. We caught:

300-350 walleyes (biggest was 26", second biggest 25", a couple dozen from 20-23", 100s from 15-20")
100-125 smallmouth bass (biggest was around 20")
25-35 northerns
1 lake trout (3lb)
1 bluegill

We ate about 40 walleyes in 4 nights. Baked in tinfoil twice and fried in peanut oil twice. My brother and I made it nearly 25 miles out from our entry point to fish lake trout (our base camp was 18 miles from EP). I did the most miles in the canoe. Probably put on 75 miles in 5 days. Went through 1.5# of leeches (about 50 dozen). Had spectacular weather. Had a great island campsite all to ourselves and rarely saw another person fishing anywhere close to us. Cant wait to go back. Still looking for my first lake trout.....

View attachment 53280View attachment 53281View attachment 53282View attachment 53283View attachment 53284View attachment 53285View attachment 53286View attachment 53287View attachment 53288

That is a dream trip!!!

Nice shirt too!

^^^

Was a fantastic trip for sure. I will be going back again soon. The walleye bite was far beyond expectations. We fished 2 wind blown narrow pinch points that were lined with old growth mature white cedar. Beautiful areas and the walleyes were just piling up in those 2 spots (4-10 FOW mostly). When the sun went below the trees it was the fastest walleye fishing I have ever done. Many reports we heard from others were poor fishing. I think they were fishing too deep. All they had to do was fish where the wind was blowing in. It blew out of the south for about 10 days straight. I fished an 1/8 oz jig 90% of the time tipped with leech or plastic. Both were equally effective. We had the place all to ourselves. We were off in the NW corner of a lake away from the main travel route and had many islands around us to hop around. We smacked nice eyes and smallmouth on the wind blown tips of every island we fished.

Found LOTS of cool driftwood. Wish I would have brought a few decorative pieces back with me. Saw one lucky fella paddling out with a large moose antler he found. The bugs were nothing compared to my woods in Cass county. 1 tick, 1 decent thunderstorm, 0 injuries, watched my slip bobber go down about 40 times. I love the unlimited fishing.

IMG_5227.JPEGIMG_5239.JPEGIMG_5243.JPEGIMG_5251.JPEGIMG_5264.JPEGIMG_5272.JPEGIMG_5283.JPEGIMG_5293.JPEGIMG_5311.JPEGIMG_5317.JPEG

Last edited:
Went through an area that burned in 2011. 93,000 acres. It must got hot. Actually was able to jump out to islands and fry some of them up too. The regrowth coming in nicely, except the white cedar. The last evening we moved back closer to the entry point and I found us a nice spot on another island and we caught a few dozen on slip bobber and got one hell of a sunset. Kid at the local bait shop told me to buy some of those goofy looking paddletails and drag them really slow across the bottom in shallow water. He wasnt lying.

IMG_5334.JPEGIMG_5364.JPEGIMG_5377.JPEGIMG_5380.JPEGIMG_5399.JPEGIMG_5409.JPEGIMG_5425.JPEG

Momma Cat said "we're doing the church fish fry... you better start filling the freezer", so I went fishing this evening. Kind of slow but good at the same
time if ya know what I mean. She said she counted 38 but 1they were flopping so she might be off. I don't know if her count was right or not but I spent plenty of time cleaning. A few of them were nice enough to be fun to catch!
Screenshot_20230710_212733_Gallery.jpg

Maybe one of you guys know. We catch a couple a year with a curved spine. They're kind of crazing looking. Any idea what causes it?

Told fish normal. Bottomed fish humpback.
Screenshot_20230710_212826_Gallery.jpg

We just got back from a Texoma striper trip,limited out but couldn't find the bigger ones.

Cat,those crappie are alot better eating than those bass

We just got back from a Texoma striper trip,limited out but couldn't find the bigger ones.
I was told the bigger ones bite in the winter on Texoma.

I'm having a hard time finding the crappie. I like them better too, but when filling the freezer...

Glad you had a good trip. Pics?

That's an impressive pile of fillets. I'm not a big fan of eating bigger bass, but the small 12" bass fry up nicely.

I occasionally see fish with curved spines when I'm filleting them and a lot of them appear to have been injured by a predator fish when they were younger and then healed over. Often times the fillet itself is missing sections of meat where teeth took out a chunk of meat and hide. I don't see any signs of that on your fish though, it almost looks like a spinal deformity it was born with.

That's an impressive pile of fillets. I'm not a big fan of eating bigger bass, but the small 12" bass fry up nicely.

I occasionally see fish with curved spines when I'm filleting them and a lot of them appear to have been injured by a predator fish when they were younger and then healed over. Often times the fillet itself is missing sections of meat where teeth took out a chunk of meat and hide. I don't see any signs of that on your fish though, it almost looks like a spinal deformity it was born with.

Bass are my least favorite eating fish, but any fish is good!

I posted the pic over on PondBoss. They say it's genetic.

I've never eaten largemouth, but smallmouth bass is excellent. It's important to skin bass, as the skin has some off flavors.

that's a notre-dame bass.

Last weekend I took the wife and daughter up north. I worked in the woods a bunch while they went to the beach. One evening we snuck out in a canoe through a bog onto a small lake in the Chippewa National Forest. We didn't start out so good, but finished really strong right before sunset. Only my 3rd time on this little lake. We were mostly catch and release until I landed a nice fat 22" walleye. That was a really nice bonus. After that we decided to keep 2 more blugills and 1 nice crappie for supper. We released a whole bunch of nice bluegills for next time. Fun memories. My daughter sure loves to fish. She never wants to leave. I've got her casting pretty good. She fishes with a 6ft medium light spinning rod and she likes to fish without a bobber.

IMG_6025.JPEGIMG_6027.JPEG

Haven't fished much this yr yet. Did manage to land my longest smallmouth ever, back in springtime. Bethany did a good job on net duty. Little under 21". Released. But I do like how bass taste for sure.

20230519_142257.jpg20230519_142403.jpg

That’s a dang nice smallie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk