First try at no-till soybean mix and brassicas into rye

You grow some outstanding plots Scott, I always look forward to your updates. :)

Thanks Paul! I can honestly say just about everthing I have learned about habitat/food plots has come from you and your forums, Thank You

This was part of my Dbltree cereal grain food plot last year, I let the rye go to seed and I took half the plot and broadcast brassicas into it and rolled it down and the other half I took the brush hog to after braoscasting a few lbs of brassicas into it. The only thing I planted this year was the brassicas everything else was free seed from the previous year, rye, clover and some hairy vetch.

The brassicas are on the left, this I broadcast a few lbs of brassicas into and then brush hogged.

This is what it looked like today.

Looks great Scott!

I haven't posted any pics of that summer no-till/till plot I planted in awhile, it is pretty much wiped out and taken over with grasses. I feel it was a success.

When I planted my cereal grains I ran the disc down the center and threw some rye in there.

Some peas and soys still hanging on but not many.

This is looking south and you can see in the back my Dbltree cereal grain plot.

Here are some brassica pics of the brassicas braodcast before rolling down the rye, still lots of mulch.

They are in there all the time now.

Last edited:
Scott you might have a doe factory going on there. Your gonna need clover in there to be able to sustain that browsing pressure. The last thing you want is for the deer to be destroying your habitat, trust me they can. Not sure what your doe harvests has been, but with these food plots they can multiply quickly.

Scott you might have a doe factory going on there. Your gonna need clover in there to be able to sustain that browsing pressure. The last thing you want is for the deer to be destroying your habitat, trust me they can. Not sure what your doe harvests has been, but with these food plots they can multiply quickly.

Thanks! We harvest our fair share of does but you are right about them multiplying quickly. Thanks for the advice on the clover, I add clover with just about everything I palnt except the brassicas.

Here's a couple pics of the brassicas and rolled rye. We'll get a couple inches of snow and then a couple 40deg days so our deer haven't had it too bad so far.

The radishes are just about done but the turnips are holding good. Lots of rye mulch there.

Going to go back into rye this fall on this brassica plot, tons of rye mulch there. Not sure if it's going to work but I braodcast some red clover and hairy vetch into this a couple weeks ago. I'll check it in a month or so and see if I need to run the disc over it and put some more clover down.

Going to go back into rye this fall on this brassica plot, tons of rye mulch there. Not sure if it's going to work but I braodcast some red clover and hairy vetch into this a couple weeks ago. I'll check it in a month or so and see if I need to run the disc over it and put some more clover down.

You've got to broadcast vetch?!?! When I let my plot go a few years ago, that's what came up. It was about 30-50% vetch. It still comes up, which is why I'm partially giving up on that part and putting it into native prairie. I figure it'll be able to compete with the grasses pretty well.

You've got to broadcast vetch?!?! When I let my plot go a few years ago, that's what came up. It was about 30-50% vetch. It still comes up, which is why I'm partially giving up on that part and putting it into native prairie. I figure it'll be able to compete with the grasses pretty well.
No vetch in the seed bank here, I add a little bit here and there for some N.

Ok I thought I would try this again this year, originally I was going to till this and plant a summer mix but on my days off lately it's rained, then I was going to throw and mow but again we got 2.5" of rain over the weekend so I thought I'd try a spray and roll. This was a plot but it had gone fallow for the last couple years, mostly grass and clover in there. I broadcast a mix of everything soys, blackbeans, buckwheat, sorghum, e-wheat, peas. Most of these where just left overs that I threw all iin a tote.

Last year the farmer that farms my parents place cleaned out his combine and left me a pile of free seed.

Pic of the mix.

Before.

After.

Not sure how this is going to work out but I thought it was worth a try and most of the seed was free.

Ok I thought I would try this again this year, originally I was going to till this and plant a summer mix but on my days off lately it's rained, then I was going to throw and mow but again we got 2.5" of rain over the weekend so I thought I'd try a spray and roll. This was a plot but it had gone fallow for the last couple years, mostly grass and clover in there. I broadcast a mix of everything soys, blackbeans, buckwheat, sorghum, e-wheat, peas. Most of these where just left overs that I threw all iin a tote.

Last year the farmer that farms my parents place cleaned out his combine and left me a pile of free seed.

Pic of the mix.

Before.

After.

Not sure how this is going to work out but I thought it was worth a try and most of the seed was free.

Gotta love the rain we've been getting lately! I'd rather we spread it out in July-August, but I'll take it!!!
What kind of soybeans where they? RR? forage? I'm super excited to see how this works! I love when people take "Ag" stuff and then make it applicable to food plotters.

Gotta love the rain we've been getting lately! I'd rather we spread it out in July-August, but I'll take it!!!
What kind of soybeans where they? RR? forage? I'm super excited to see how this works! I love when people take "Ag" stuff and then make it applicable to food plotters.
Ag soys from a farmer friend. I hear ya on the rain it's good to have but I hope the faucet doesn't shut off in July/Aug.

Ag soys from a farmer friend. I hear ya on the rain it's good to have but I hope the faucet doesn't shut off in July/Aug.

We didn't get it too bad last year, but there were a couple stretches where we didn't have anything substantial for 2-3 weeks. I transplanted some apple trees in June/July last year, which is pretty much the worst time to do it, and I was watering them every few days when I was up near the property, hopefully I don't have to be doing that again!

We didn't get it too bad last year, but there were a couple stretches where we didn't have anything substantial for 2-3 weeks. I transplanted some apple trees in June/July last year, which is pretty much the worst time to do it, and I was watering them every few days when I was up near the property, hopefully I don't have to be doing that again!
Same here, I usually watering them in in that time frame also.

Pretty think stuff scott, hope it doesn't prevent the sunlight you need from getting to the ground.

Did you kill off any and leave it stand, and then try broadcasting into it?

Pretty think stuff scott, hope it doesn't prevent the sunlight you need from getting to the ground.

Did you kill off any and leave it stand, and then try broadcasting into it?
I tried it on the outside 4-6', broadcast into it then sprayed it and left it stand, rolled the middle. Yes it was thick, we'll see.

I'll be watching for updates Scott...interesting stuff to try
New here, I always used to spray and disc/till. It worked ok with the rye rolled down last year, this isn't going to last till fall/winter, they'll wipe it out by then.

When you think about it...is the heavy thatch layer much different than covering the seeds with soil? Granted, getting a good kill on the existing vegetation is important. I'd expect some delayed and sporadic germination, but for a guy (like me) with limited equipment...this is interesting stuff.

The ground will split open when germination starts and allow the plants to come through in a normal situation.

The thick thatch may act as a barrier that will be tough for some of the seeds in the mix to penetrate in spots. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Another bonus to that thick thatch layer is that it will really help retain moisture. Potentially long enough for some seeds caught up in the thatch layer to germinate and the root radical to reach and penetrate the soil before it dries out and dies.