First try at no-till soybean mix and brassicas into rye

Very nice looking plots!

My sorghum mix is doing good, adding food and making a screen on the north side of the cereal grains and brassicas.

The brassicas are ok, not much moisture when they were first plant. Some grasses have crept in, mid Aug I broadcast some rye and buckwheat into them.

Looks great scott, lots of food there!

Sorgum screen n feed looks great.

Looks like the deer aren't the only ones who like this sorghum mix. Looks like they were there for a couple hours.

Pic from the stands last night, earlier this summer I did a throw and mow rye and clover micro plot here. This might be 10 yards by 10 yards, I was trying to get them to stop and maybe take a bite before heading off the the food plots. There is quite a bit of grass in there because all I did was throw and mow , no spray.

I've had a camera by this stand but facing more out in the field so the last time I pulled cards I turned it to overlook this little plot, no the ladder is not that crooked it must have taken a pic while moving it. Looks like they are coming in pretty close now all I need is a daytime pic.

This is what a brassica plot that is lacking N looks like, this plot has had a hard time this year. I planted in early July and July was really dry and when we got the rains in mid Aug it took off but I started working more and didn't spend much time on the plots so I didn't notice it until a few weeks ago and it's really too late to do anything about it now. I just wanted to show what low N looks like in a brassica plot. The turnips are golf ball to tennis ball size.

Apparently the deer didn't get the memo that this plot needed N, they have hammered it the last week to 10 days.

A couple wet snows have knocked down a lot of the sorghum but still quite a bit of food in there and they are still using it.

Brassicas are still getting hammered

Checked the plots today when I was back and they still seem to be feeding them.

The brassicas are eaten down to the dirt as usual around here.

These brassicas fed a lot of mouths earlier in the winter. Some reason it seemed like all the deer around were here for a month or so after our rifle season, it's back to normal now.

Cereal rye is starting green up with warm temp here that last little bit.

Not much left of the sorghum plot but they are still checking it out, there is a lot of matter there to do a throw and mow plot there this year, I upped the seeding rate this year and I think it worked so I shouldn't have to till it this year.

Nice update. The snow cover over my rye is quickly disappearing and as it opens up green is the color. Did yours brown out with the lack of snow?

Nice update. The snow cover over my rye is quickly disappearing and as it opens up green is the color. Did yours brown out with the lack of snow?
A little but I think most of that brown you see in that pic is dead oats, I planted the cereal mix a couple weeks earlier this last year and actually had oats that headed out.

Great stuff! Thanks for updating. Thanks for caring about the wildlife.

Made it out yesterday and frost seeded last years brassica plots with red clover.

Cereal grains and last years sorghum plot.

They didn't leave much in that plot did they?