First Time Heading Out West

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
Anybody else heading out west to chase elk? I never have but was asked to go to Colorado with a few friends First week of September for archery hunting. Picked up a few calls, some uninsulated Danner Pronghorns, and have been watching a bunch of Primos elk hunting DVD's. I've been running and biking in the hills at home, and shooting the bow to get dialed in. Do you guys carry a sidearm? Some have said bring 2 pairs of boots? Anything else I need to know?

I go out west almost every year chasing elk with the bow. It's been a lot of fun but this year we're taking the rifles to hopefully have more success. Be in the best shape you have ever been, it makes the hunt much more enjoyable. Some areas are great for calling but others it is a waste of time and can hurt your chances. I hunted in Wyoming and the bulls responded very well, but high pressure areas of Montana they will get very quiet and shy away from any calling. I bring one very good pair of boots(Kennetrek) I would have advised against the Danner's as I've had pairs that leaked terrible and I was stuck with wet boots for the entire trip. They also aren't near as comfortable as my Kennetrek's which can lead to hot spots. My main advice would be cover a lot of ground, call smart, be aggressive, and aim low towards the heart as they don't leave a lot of blood on the ground. People make the mistake of aiming high in the lungs but you are level with the animal so low is better. I carry a small sidearm but I know guys that carry 44 mags and they end up leaving them at camp because it's too heavy.

Be in great shape, climb up top in the dark, 2 man set with the shooter 40 yards ahead of the cow caller, lowa gtx renegade are great boots, rei tent sale and they are cheap, get lite liner poly sock and smartwoll outer sock, 3 liter camelback bladder, the shot will be 30-50 yards, stay away from the shoulder, review lung position of an elk. gps, always play the wind/thermals.
Thats very good advice. Be in shape and if possible get to altitude a few days before the hunt so your longs can adjust.

Eat Tum's when you get there.....to help with altitude sickness. Don't ask me why they work....but they do. Wear those boots early enough to break 'em in. Keep essentials to a minimum in your pack. THINK LIGHT WEIGHT!

I remember slipping and falling allot when in Idaho on a frosty morning despite good boots. Laying there....all stone bruised from my falls that day.....I figured I should take up bowling. ;)

For drinking water we have found it easier(lighter) to use the iodine pills then the filter pump at least when you are out on the move. I always bring some koolaid along to get the sugar boost. It will be tempting to set up on a wallow but you can waste a lot of time there with little to show for it. We typically just look at them and keep on moving. Bring an extra arrow just for grouse as they are fun to shoot and fairly tasty.

Last time I went I never put a pair of boots on. I would bring a pair of broken in Merrel super lightweight shoes or similar in case the terrain allows it. They weigh less than half what a boot does and those grams can add up mile after mile after mile.

My pops and I are headed to CO in 13 days...not that I'm counting. Hunting for 8. Can't wait. My dad shot a 5x5 last time out in '13. Hoping it's my turn this time. I bring two pairs of boots, rotate them out. My latest pair is Meindl and I love them, I feel like I could go running in them.

No side arm here. We did see 4 black bears last time out. One beauty at 20 yards, nice dark brown coat. Made me wish I had a tag.

My son and I are going to Colorado muley/elk hunting, leaving Sept. 1 and hunting over labor day for a week or so. I made a trip to Cabelas about three weeks ago and picked up a pair of Cabelas brand Meindl hikers, the most I've ever paid for a pair of boots but I'm impressed with them so far, comfortable and broke in easy. My son lives in the Denver area so this is not just a hunting trip, wife needs to see the grand babies. Really looking forward to this hunting trip.

I'd see if you can find an outfitter in the area that has some horses before your hunt. A lot of times they'll pack your elk out for you for around $100-200.00. Saves a lot of back and forth and wear and tear on you.

As noted, you have to have a plan if you shoot one. It's a lot of animal to pack , even a mile or two in steep terrain. A couple good quality backpack frames at least with a complete field dressing kit. Early in the year I would make everything as light as possible. Lots of first aid stuff for abrasions , cuts and bruises. Personally , I would look into a water filtration straw or Steri-pen. You just never know, and you don't want to be stranded without water.

I will throw out some suggestions that you won't always hear but they can make your trip more comfortable.

Chapstick! Make sure you bring it. My lips were so chapped on my second elk hunt I was smearing them with butter in a vain attempt for relief.

If hunting above tree line, sunglasses are important along with a hat that keeps the sun off your face and ears.

Camp slippers. I once packed a pair of moccasin like slippers into spike camp. Everyone laughed when they first saw them. But when I could take my boots off and let them get some air while walking around in comfy slippers, they quit laughing. Crocs are now my camp slippers since they are easily dried.

Always carry your camera and gear for breaking down an elk. In 2004 we left camp on the first day to learn what is in the area. Ended up dogging a herd half of the morning, shooting a bull at 11:00 and then on hands and knees to track him. We found him at 4:00 in the afternoon. No camera, no game bags. A "quick"run back to camp for the gear had us taking pics right at dark. We got back to camp very late that night. If we were carrying our gear, I would have better pics of my bull and it would have saved hours of walking.

As for hunting. A guy once told me an elk tip that I think is very important. The only elk track that should excite you are the ones that still have elk feet in them. Elk walk faster than you can run. There can be a long distance between a track and the elk that made it.