First quail on my farm

Tpstacy

Yearling... With promise
So I've been working for 3 years on improving habitat on my farm in west central kentucky. Mostly for deer and turkey but have really put in some work on quail habitat in the past 18 months. Long story short, my grandfather trained hunting dogs and was a big time quail hunter. I always thought it would be incredible to bring quail back to my property. We'll pretty sure the old man is smiling down as I've seen my first quail on the farm. Jumped about 6-8 total. Not a great picture from the tractor but man was I excited! Hard work pays off, who would have known! Did a ton of edge feathering everywhere I could and they seem to love it. Also I've heard partridge pea is beneficial for them and I have plenty of it. Anyway thanks for letting me share my excitement with all of you 20240902_091758.jpg

0 quail on my place when I bought in 2007. They’re everywhere now. I still don’t want to shoot them :).

I think the best thing I did was kill all the hay fields and let weeds take over. At my place if I scratch the ground rag weed explodes. They thrive on ragweed seeds.

One of my goals as well on our farm. There is a small number around, I have heard one whistling on occasion this Summer. Not like I want them to be. I may never have them at the level I can hunt them routinely, but its a goal.

Congrats Tpstacy! That's great news!!!

I heard a lot of whistling while dove hunting at my dad's place last weekend. Haven't heard any at my place for a couple of months.