Ferguson TEA-20

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

So in my quest for equipment, I found out that my neighbor has an old 8N. I went to check it out today, and it turns out the mouth from which I heard it told me incorrect information. The owner wasn't there, so I didn't get all of the details, but it is in fact a 1951 Ferguson TEA-20.

Does anyone have any experience with these? From everything I've gathered, it is the year that a larger bore engine was used, giving it around 28hp.

What size disc will I be able to pull? 5-6 foot? Will this be able to go through heavier stuff? Or does it need to be plowed?Should I also be looking for a plow, or tooth harrow?

At $1700, the price was about right, hopefully I can get him down a few hundred dollars since we know his son (the actual owner).

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have any idea what size Disc I can pull?

Well, I've been doing a bit more looking and there is a Massey Ferguson 135 for double the price of the TEA. I'm thinking that I want the next step up in power, just so that I don't have to trade up in a few years, or worry about equipment being too heavy.

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/grd/5118045297.html

^ Both would make good plotting tractors. (still I would try to find a loader - because I have so many trees to deal with)

^ Both would make good plotting tractors. (still I would try to find a loader - because I have so many trees to deal with)

Do you think that the TEA would be alright? It's 28 hp because it has the larger bore. I've only got one acre of plots, I just want to be able to pull a disc large enough to actually work.

^ Not sure what a "TEA" is????

I like the looks of that 135 and about a six foot tandem disk hanging on the 3 point could get allot of work done. I just like smaller equipment than some. Smaller tractors take smaller implements and are more user friendly for small time operators........and cheaper to operate and fix too. Plus you can haul tractors this size on a car trailer if service is needed. ;)

OK.....re-read the post. You are concerned about a disk behind that smaller, old TEA 20 tractor. Using a disk as a primary tillage means in new sod is kinda tough......but after the ground has been broken....a dsick will work well for most of us. I would think you could pull a six foot disk easily with that TEA 20. Maybe an 8 footer.....but it might take more passes and I would stay toward the smaller size disk if it were me and my soils.

The thing about disks is.........everyone has different soils, and most have different expaectaions about the work to be performed. If you follow a plow with a disk that is one thing.......but many of us just want to do the disk-only for tillage.

I'd still go after that 135 and you would get live hydraulics and live PTO......maybe PS (?) and many other good / modern features. Thats my story......and I'm sticking too it.

If that 135 runs as good as it looks......that would be a very good tractor for a long time to come. Plus you could get your money back if you want to get out of it at any time......IMO. Very versatile little tractors.....with many modern features. (12 volt electrical system, overhead valve PERKINS engine, live Hyd, live PTO, 3 point, etc etc) Its amazing the advancements in tractors that was made from those 40's model tractors to the 60's model tractors. ;)

Last edited:
OK.....re-read the post. You are concerned about a disk behind that smaller, old TEA 20 tractor. Using a disk as a primary tillage means in new sod is kinda tough......but after the ground has been broken....a dsick will work well for most of us. I would think you could pull a six foot disk easily with that TEA 20. Maybe an 8 footer.....but it might take more passes and I would stay toward the smaller size disk if it were me and my soils.

The thing about disks is.........everyone has different soils, and most have different expaectaions about the work to be performed. If you follow a plow with a disk that is one thing.......but many of us just want to do the disk-only for tillage.

I'd still go after that 135 and you would get live hydraulics and live PTO......maybe PS (?) and many other good / modern features. Thats my story......and I'm sticking too it.

If that 135 runs as good as it looks......that would be a very good tractor for a long time to come. Plus you could get your money back if you want to get out of it at any time......IMO. Very versatile little tractors.....with many modern features. (12 volt electrical system, overhead valve PERKINS engine, live Hyd, live PTO, 3 point, etc etc) Its amazing the advancements in tractors that was made from those 40's model tractors to the 60's model tractors. ;)

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've even been finding 8' disks that are the same price as 5'. It'll just be easier to find implements. I think I'd much rather get a smaller disk and be able to weight it down, plus I might be able to get a small tiller for it as well if the price is right.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've even been finding 8' disks that are the same price as 5'. It'll just be easier to find implements. I think I'd much rather get a smaller disk and be able to weight it down, plus I might be able to get a small tiller for it as well if the price is right.

Well, for 300 less, I can get the 165. I'll have to think it over!

If you SAT on both.....you would know. Myself, I'd prefer the smaller 135 for basically the same money. Much handier tractor IN THE WOODS. If you have ag land.....then go for the bigger tractor. My 2 cents.

If you SAT on both.....you would know. Myself, I'd prefer the smaller 135 for basically the same money. Much handier tractor IN THE WOODS. If you have ag land.....then go for the bigger tractor. My 2 cents.

Nope, I've only got 1 acre in plots, but lots to move/spray/mow. Also, the 135 is only half the weight of the 165, so that's a definite plus. I'll have to get my dad to tag along to the 135 to take a look at it.

I really appreciate the help, as I've never really dealt with tractors.

Those are really good tractors. If you can swing you will be a lot happier with the 135. The 20 would get the job done, but the 135 would do it much easier. The 135 has hydraulic hook ups for a number of implements also the 3pt is stronger and will work better.

Well the 135 for $3800 was sold already. I contacted another guy for one that is $4500. More than I'd like to spend, but it's in the ballpark. The guy said it had a new clutch and transmission and alternator, so that seemed pretty good.

http://flint.craigslist.org/grd/5126677841.html

There is still the 165 for $3200 about 20 miles away, so that might be a better option.

What do you all think?

I have a co-worker with a 165(with loader) and he loves it. I cut some parts for him a while back on our plasma table and he now has a log grapple for the loader as well. He doesn't complain of many maintenance issues(and he would if he had them, he's just that type of guy:rolleyes:).

The 165 will need some new tires (eventually). But other than that the kid said it was all good. The tires are weather checked, but he's had it since '02. I'm going to check it out tonight or tomorrow.

Those new tires are going to set you back a few bucks. Find out now.....so you have both eyes open. No whining later. ;)

To me, Your olnly plotting ONE acre. That tractor is like reshingling an outhouse with a sledge hammer.

Those new tires are going to set you back a few bucks. Find out now.....so you have both eyes open. No whining later. ;)

To me, Your olnly plotting ONE acre. That tractor is like reshingling an outhouse with a sledge hammer.

I know, but it may turn into more acreage. Also, I need it for mowing, and hauling water to my trees, and spraying. As of now I don't even have an ATV that is capable of doing that, and all the ATV's I've found that are 500cc+ are $3000 or more. How much do new tires run? $500?

a WAG on those rear tires would be $1200 to $1500. The fronts are multi-ply and would be $125+ each. Then too......they will charge you for a tire truck to come to your place and mount them......and put any fluid in them, etc. Or......you gotta haul it.

It wouldn't surprise me if you dropped 2k to reboot that tractor....all said and done. But I am guessing. Ask a tire shop.

Last edited: