fawn with a wolf around it's neck

Jason

5 year old buck +
I've never gotten a wolf picture before this week (i'm 90% sure this is a wolf??). 11pm on 11/5 they showed up, 10 hours later they got a fawn. I also have some pics of does running all over hell during that 10 hours. They did better hunting then we did this weekend.

by the way this is near mora mn.
MFDC0040_zps98415431.jpg

here's the first pic:
MFDC0008_zps06f11542.jpg

one more:
MFDC0009_zps6bc78bdd.jpg

Last edited:
wow... quite a pic....

To bad.

Those critters are very efficient hunters!

They must be fast as hell!

A few years ago I cut a fresh wolf track while still hunting. I decided to track instead of continuing hunting. I tracked for what amounted to about 1.5 miles according to the gps. After about the first fourty of tracking I cut another wolf track. It took a little sorting, but the tracks separated again. I played with this pair of tracks a whole afternoon. What I believe they were doing was hunting in a figure 8. They would separate a couple hundred yards, plus or minus, and then come back together. They did this intersection 4 or 5 times, don't remember which anymore. Saw a couple of times where one put a couple of feet on a hump or a log.(Think to howl?) My only guess is they were making a drive to each other. After the second criss cross I back tracked to see what was going on. Did not find any sign of a kill of any kind. I may be way off base with my assumption, but I was in awe none the less.

A few years ago I cut a fresh wolf track while still hunting. I decided to track instead of continuing hunting. I tracked for what amounted to about 1.5 miles according to the gps. After about the first fourty of tracking I cut another wolf track. It took a little sorting, but the tracks separated again. I played with this pair of tracks a whole afternoon. What I believe they were doing was hunting in a figure 8. They would separate a couple hundred yards, plus or minus, and then come back together. They did this intersection 4 or 5 times, don't remember which anymore. Saw a couple of times where one put a couple of feet on a hump or a log.(Think to howl?) My only guess is they were making a drive to each other. After the second criss cross I back tracked to see what was going on. Did not find any sign of a kill of any kind. I may be way off base with my assumption, but I was in awe none the less.
Makes since to me! One bumps a deer an pushes it right to the other an BAM Dead! Thats interesting stuff

How many times does a deer jump up run 40 yards stop and look back. That would be a great time to flank it. That's actually similar to how we used to still hunt a track.
SSS