favorite boot for habitat work

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
thought i would start this to not high jack cold weather boot thread

bill

I like the cheap uninsulated camo hiking boots from Walmart, they are semi waterproof, comfortable, not hot, feel like wearing tennis shoes and last for about a good season of farm work. If for whatever reason I ruin them I'm not out much and just go and get another pair.

Sometimes it's the light weight Muck boots or the a couple years ago I went out to CO muley hunting and bought a pair of Cabelas Meindl hikers the most comfortable boots I've ever wore and the most expensive, this summer they will be 4yrs old and they have worn well.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Meindl-Hiking-Boots/109703880.uts

I seem to have 2 modes of habitat work...

Cargo shorts and flip-flops....or jeans and my mucks. On rare occasion I'll wear the mucks with the cargo shorts....my kids love when I go out in public! Any way....I'll wear thru a pair of mucks in a year or so...but I don't baby them either. Stomping in the woods, planting trees, cutting trees or just screwing around when there is any realistic chance that I'm gonna find water or mud...the mucks come out. Especially in the spring...I tend to not really know what I'm gonna find and I tend to get easily distracted and end up doing something I hadn't planned on....and it's usually messy!

Keen boats with steel toe if I’m mowing or weed whacking with the blade my toes are safe

Just a workboot. Redwing 606. Usually can get 2 years out of a pair.

Not one of you guys said Crocs. I thought for sure I’d read it haha. I tend to go with mucks. I like being able to spray down good with permethrin and then tuck my pants into the boots. Other then sweaty feet they serve me well

j bird,

What habitat work is done in flip flops?

bill

For most of the year I have these. Very durable & comfortable ...

Keen Work Boots

For cold weather & snow, just bought these and they are great ... warm, excellent wide foot base & tread...

LL Bean Storm Chaser

I wear Mucks when it's really wet or colder out but not through the summer at all they are just to hot for me. My work gives us a pair every year of the insulated ones.

j bird,

What habitat work is done in flip flops?

bill
I do most of my warm weather tractor work in flip-flops! I'm not sure I have ever planted a summer annual plot any other way....like to feel the tilled soil between my toes! Leaves funny tan lines too! Most of my spraying, watering and mowing are the same way. Any work where my feet are on the actual ground typically results in my mucks.

In summer I wear a pair of 5.11 side zip boots. Those boots have been all over, and they are still comfy as a pair of slippers. I've had them in the Iraqi desert and the Canadian forests. It's a lot of boot for $90.

I do most of my warm weather tractor work in flip-flops! I'm not sure I have ever planted a summer annual plot any other way....like to feel the tilled soil between my toes! Leaves funny tan lines too! Most of my spraying, watering and mowing are the same way. Any work where my feet are on the actual ground typically results in my mucks.

........the Jimmy Buffett of habitat ........

bill

........the Jimmy Buffett of habitat ........

bill
been called a lot of things in my life....never that!

I dress so poorly in the summer when I am doing my thing on the weekends....I once had to go into town to pick up my son from work with no time for me to make myself more presentable. I'm sort of scruffy looking as it is. He worked at the local Wendy's. I went in and just sat down and waited for him. After a few minutes the manager came over to me..."Sir? Are you OK?" "Are you hungry and don't have any money?" Yep....I was openly mistaken for a homeless person! I explained that my son worked there and I was waiting on him. She turned around and went to the back of the store. I then see my son peek his head around the corner and then I hear him bust out laughing!

One of the benefits of living where your closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away is you don't have to worry about neighbors and what they think! During the summer I am certainly a habitat bum! My wife has a habit of throwing my clothes away instead of washing them in the summer. She tends to think that if they have holes in them they are ruined... I call them "ventilated"....

My wife has a habit of throwing my clothes away instead of washing them in the summer. She tends to think that if they have holes in them they are ruined... I call them "ventilated"..

Whaaaat!? That's when they are the most comfortable!

Whaaaat!? That's when they are the most comfortable!
EXACTLY! That's what I tell her. Thing is she is sneaky about it too. It just disappears...I then go asking, "babe, you seen my work'n t-shirt? The one that says you can go #$%^ yourself, the one with the big oil stain on it, that's all stretched out" And she will ignore me, or claim she doesn't know what I'm talking about. She knows EXACTLY which one I'm talking about! Then later she'll say something about tossing it out. You know what would happen if I threw something of hers out without telling her?!?!?!?!?

Just saw this - I wear a pair of composite toe loggers boots. It seems I’ve always got a tree down on a trail or mowing to do. I like having a strong boot on in case I grab the chainsaw.

I always just wear my red wing work boots. They are the most comfortable shoes I own.

I’m usually in a pair of lightweight trail running shoes May-September. I’ve found them to be more comfortable than a heavy duty boot in our steep terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk