Farm and Ranch life

Baker

5 year old buck +
Here is a short clip showing a few deer from the farm. I am new to youtube and trying to figure all this out. Hopefully the deer will provide the entertainment because there is no editing wizardry, BBD, or hyperventilating hunters. Hope you enjoy

Holy crap, they just keep getting bigger as the vid goes on. Some outstanding deer, is that HF or free range?

I hope I can back in my next life to be able to afford land like that. To grow deer like that up here In Wisconsin it would take multiple millions to control the acres needed in the right neighborhood.

Congrats on some nice bucks and good hunting

Following!

Holy crap, they just keep getting bigger as the vid goes on. Some outstanding deer, is that HF or free range?
HF or free range...I own both and both produce comparable bucks . Can you tell the difference? I'll elaborate on my farm as this thread develops but one thing I have learned having spent 40 years managing around both HF and LF is that wire doesn't grow big deer. Age and nutrition grow big bucks.

Agree, age nutrition and I would ad genetics in the formula. Very impressive deer Baker.

Since I posted deer video from the farm thought it appropriate that I post a short video from a cool buck from the ranch since this is called Farm and Ranch life.. In a future video I will show how he progressed with video at 4,5,6 and here at 7.

Amazing bucks. If 10% of those bucks are LF you are the luckiest man alive. Impressed!

-John

Well, I came to post links to your place, since I knew you from TBH.... but here you are already!

Awesome start to a YouTube channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HF or free range...I own both and both produce comparable bucks . Can you tell the difference? I'll elaborate on my farm as this thread develops but one thing I have learned having spent 40 years managing around both HF and LF is that wire doesn't grow big deer. Age and nutrition grow big bucks.

Wire would help with age though I’m thinking?

Neighbors are often the key to whether the buck makes it to age 4 or older.

Last edited:
Cool bucks. I'd like to see the video on how that buck grew as he aged.

I have to disagree though with your thoughts that there is no difference in free range versus high fence deer though. Every day I drive by a pig farmer that got into the deer business and put up a high fence around a few acres of open pasture. He bought some deer and now he has a bunch of 200"+ deer and I guess it's common for them to be 170"+ at 2 years old. He likely has more 200" deer in that 10 acre pen than the entire county has in thousands of wild deer.

If you own thousands of acres, you can also manage wild deer ;)

Cool bucks. I'd like to see the video on how that buck grew as he aged.

I have to disagree though with your thoughts that there is no difference in free range versus high fence deer though. Every day I drive by a pig farmer that got into the deer business and put up a high fence around a few acres of open pasture. He bought some deer and now he has a bunch of 200"+ deer and I guess it's common for them to be 170"+ at 2 years old. He likely has more 200" deer in that 10 acre pen than the entire county has in thousands of wild deer.

Your right. When I made my comment about wire I was thinking wildlife mgt. not breeder pen [ or 10 acre enclosures in an open pasture with store bought deer]

Years back I spent some time at the Ms. State research facility and over the years I have been in breeder pens quite a bit. Lots can be learned there. But deer conceived from A.I, that eat marshmallows or apples from your hand, that have ear tags, pedigrees, hybridized genetics......are radically different from the deer and the environment of any game fenced hunting property I have ever been in. And I've been in a lot. Though I have never been in one less than a thousand acres plus.

I am always happy to compare personal experience with game fenced deer vs. deer in immediately contiguous LF pastures to anyone interested in the conversation. I have both and can separate emotion from fact.

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how popular my snake video was so back to food plots. Not much new happening yet so here is a brief clip showing a scheme to improve red brick clay.

Not sure how popular my snake video was so back to food plots. Not much new happening yet so here is a brief clip showing a scheme to improve red brick clay.

I liked the snakes. Something I had never seen before.

Cool snakes. Do you ever eat them?

Ever see any deer with snake bites?

Very impressive! It's official Baker that you are now someone I will make time to follow and listen to any advice you might give on land or deer. I meant I will follow your posts(not follow you around and sleep at the end of your driveway). You obviously have proven results with awesome success.

Not much happening in the fields so back to deer. Here is age progression from 4-7 of buck in previous video.