Eradicating Japanese stilt grass

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
On my new property a large section of woods was select cut a few years back. It seems that the stilt grass has come in with the vengeance. My plan is to burn in the off-season but I know that will only further piss off stilt grass. I’m not sure how to even go about getting rid of it. I know glyphosate will knock it out but we are talking a decent chunk of land. Maybe a hundred acres. I dang sure can’t do that with a backpack sprayer. Almost thought about an aerial application of a grass specific herbicide to minimize collateral damage but I’m not sure how cost effective that is. A blower with the sprayer attachment is another option though still labor intensive. Has anyone ever tackled a large scale eradication of Japan grass (er sorry I mean Asian American grass)?

Google up extension notes on how to control. There are some older threads here about it. It is an annual. You need to stop it from producing more seed and then deal with the existing seeds in your soil that will germinate over the next few years.

Google up extension notes on how to control. There are some older threads here about it. It is an annual. You need to stop it from producing more seed and then deal with the existing seeds in your soil that will germinate over the next few years.
Yeah I have. I know what herbicides will control it but I’m just not sure how to tackle a large scale eradication. Don’t know if anyone has ever covered a large area with a blower sprayer or even hired an aerial applicator. I’m in a heavy ag area so I know they are around but if it’s some crazy number that’s out of the question

Can you mow? If you can mow when it is about to flower that would be the cheapest and easiest. You might need to mow a second time if it tries to flower later.

On my new property a large section of woods was select cut a few years back. It seems that the stilt grass has come in with the vengeance. My plan is to burn in the off-season but I know that will only further piss off stilt grass. I’m not sure how to even go about getting rid of it. I know glyphosate will knock it out but we are talking a decent chunk of land. Maybe a hundred acres. I dang sure can’t do that with a backpack sprayer. Almost thought about an aerial application of a grass specific herbicide to minimize collateral damage but I’m not sure how cost effective that is. A blower with the sprayer attachment is another option though still labor intensive. Has anyone ever tackled a large scale eradication of Japan grass (er sorry I mean Asian American grass)?
Good luck. I have it too although not that bad. I sprayed all that I could find one year and it came right back stronger the following year. I've heard that there can be 5 years of seeds in the seed bank. So plan on spraying year after year for a while. Not sure what burning would do. I gave up because I now have mile a minute too and I'm much more worried about that.

I have thought about trying something that will grow quickly and come in thick in the spring because stilt grass really doesn't get going until early summer I've noticed.

Can you mow? If you can mow when it is about to flower that would be the cheapest and easiest. You might need to mow a second time if it tries to flower later.
Unfortunately no, it’s all in the select cut woods.

Good luck. I have it too although not that bad. I sprayed all that I could find one year and it came right back stronger the following year. I've heard that there can be 5 years of seeds in the seed bank. So plan on spraying year after year for a while. Not sure what burning would do. I gave up because I now have mile a minute too and I'm much more worried about that.

I have thought about trying something that will grow quickly and come in thick in the spring because stilt grass really doesn't get going until early summer I've noticed.
It’s really disheartening. I hate missing out on all that good habitat because that stuff chokes out dang near everything.

It’s really disheartening. I hate missing out on all that good habitat because that stuff chokes out dang near everything
When I was looking up how to control it I saw a guy with a mister sprayer. It's fairly easy to kill with gly but with the expense of gly a mister might be more efficient for a large area.

When I was looking up how to control it I saw a guy with a mister sprayer. It's fairly easy to kill with gly but with the expense of gly a mister might be more efficient for a large area.
Only thing I fear is the collateral damage with gly. Like what beneficial species am I going to nuke as well. But maybe you have to break some eggs first

Only thing I fear is the collateral damage with gly. Like what beneficial species am I going to nuke as well. But maybe you have to break some eggs first
Not sure if cleth would work on it maybe? It's mostly on my driveway and just starting to creep into the woods. I'm thinking a better option for me is to try to smother it with something early. Preemergents are supposed to work as well. I might just buy some regular grass seed and try to get it established before it comes up. The driveway is pretty rocky. I'm not sure what all will grow on it.

The best/once way to eat an elephant is one bit e at a time. As I understand it....it is actually an annual so mowing to prevent it from seeding would be best and then a chemical application to kill what you can. You are going to have to simply break this area up into small pieces and manage what you can. I suspect it will also fade as your canopy closes back in over time....if it's allowed to do that.