Dozer

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Anyone own one? Thinking of buying one but not sure if it’s the best use of money. My roads are pure crap, apparently mostly made by loggers with no regard towards the future so they are washed so bad in places it’s inaccessible by a tractor. Additionally I’d like to eventually make a perimeter road. I have a 12,000 lb 110 hp skid steer so I’m sort of dancing in that arena anyway. I don’t want a big dozer, a d3 or d4 sized one. Not sure if I’d gain much over my skid steer. Another option is buying a 6 way blade attachment for the skid steer or also I thought about a large mini ex. I watched my grader pop full grown trees out of the ground with one and it really opened my eyes.

If I only had one choice it would be an excavator. Just more versatile. You can dig nice ditches, remove stumps, put in drain or sluice pipe etc. Also you can do some grading with them and they don’t get stuck as easy as a dozer. You can do a tremendous amount of work with a dozer in a short time so just renting one or having a guy come in to do the work you need a dozer for is a one and done and not that bad of cost as compared to owning and maintaining one.

If I only had one choice it would be an excavator. Just more versatile. You can dig nice ditches, remove stumps, put in drain or sluice pipe etc. Also you can do some grading with them and they don’t get stuck as easy as a dozer. You can do a tremendous amount of work with a dozer in a short time so just renting one or having a guy come in to do the work you need a dozer for is a one and done and not that bad of cost as compared to owning and maintaining one.
The maintenance does scare me. With what I’d be willing to spend I’d have to get something with relatively high hours and you know what that means. All I can picture is that thing breaking down in the worst spot back in the woods and being a permanent fixture.

Vehicles with tracks can get expensive....and are often sold when repairs are eminent. I've heard some horror stories on rebuilding tracks and an undercarriage. Not real sure how to check em..... I think hiring some dozer work and follow that with the right attachments for your skid steer would be a low-cost and prove to be the most worthwhile. Hard to know your situation from here.....but I would be reluctant to own a dozer....especially with a limited need.

Yes tracks can be a problem. Another option is a log skidder. I’ve used a timberjack skidder many times for work. Just like a dozer in many ways and a winch that will pull out anything from anywhere. Probably not big stumps but great for making roads through brush and small trees. Very hard to get one stuck. I’ve actually never even seen one get stuck but I guess could happen. No tracks and an articulating body for great maneuverability . Still might run into expense when they break but I think much less than a dozer. Definitely more oomph than a skidsteer. You would just need to find the right one in a condition that’s not totally beat up in your price range but, they are out there.

Equipment like this is like a boat. Lots of fun on the weekend when using but when it is not used on a regular basis problems develop. Equipment & engines need to be run to rotate fuel, clean filters, reduce moisture stroke seal items, etc. I also look at a used piece of equipment and ask myself how would I repair or trouble shoot, where would I get parts, etc. I like to watch the show Goldrush. Constantly see these guys making repairs and often they have to repair in the field.

A dozer would be cool to own especially f you have lots of projects but buying used equipment scares me as i don't know enough about them to determine what shape they are in. Contractors typically turn equipment over on a regular basis as the have pushed it hard and buy new before big repair cycle hits. Hiring a dozer guy may make more sense if you only have one or two projects.

The smartest / best mechanic I know bought a used dozer. He spun a track way up on a mountain building roads. I’ve never heard or seen of him getting so frustrated as he did getting that thing out. You know what you need to pull a dozer back down a mountain? A bigger dozer!

In all seriousness, I’d buy the excavator and bid the dozer work out. It’s likely the bid work on the dozer comes from a guy with a bigger dozer and a lot more knowledge about building road etc…He could probably do in a week what would take you 6 months.

Just seems like I’d have a project for the excavator at least once a month. After you’ve pushed everything around with dozer for 6 months, what are you going to do with it?

Dozer wont fix those roads, stone will.... Loggers up in the ADK's use woods chips sometimes too.

If needed, rent the heck out of one..... Find a time of year where the ground is soft, but not too soft. what kind of soil are we working with here.

Seen about everything get stuck in the woods. Sometimes 2 dozer are needed to get 1 out.....

Something to keep in mind if you are going to buy a dozer. A newish one will depreciate, and you will lose money on resale. I cheap one will for sure need repairs, and you will lose money on resale. But if you buy a well maintained lightly used one, use it for a couple years, then resell it, you will more then likely get your money back. Another option is to lease one for a year, or for whatever time you think you will need one. I looked into this, because at the time I didnt have the extra cash to spend on buying one, and the lease option for 3 months, wasnt bad. But in the end, I swallowed my pride, and hired the work out, for about the same cost it would have been for me to do it myself, and they did it much faster, and a much better job then I could have.

But sometimes, doing it yourself is a lot more satisfying, and you get to play on a dozer.

Agree with all said. You can do a ton with a 110hp steer. Rent a dozer for a week a year and save the money.

If you’ve got the big skid steer, you’d be much better off with an excavator to rough in and do the finish work with the skid steer. That’s a great combination.

Don't own one but operate one almost everyday. Agree with everyone else that to hire a operator or a distant second rent one. Most d3 or 4s are usually narrow tracks. Those narrow tracks sink into soft ground bad. A larger dozer with wide tracks will float over soft ground alot better. Most people will sell a dozer when tracks are near replacement. I was told every dollar you put in fuel in a dozer you should put a dollar in a kitty for replacing tracks. If you have the money to buy another piece of equipment I would suggest a mini excavator. A mini excavator and skidsteer make a good team. You will be able to stay busy with small projects with a mini ex, I think with a dozer it would sit alot except for bigger jobs. Once your road is in you should be able to maintain with your skidsteer.

I've got 3 d3 dozers and 50g excavator. All I use now is my excavator.

Awesome! I don't think I could run out of projects if I had one of those and the time. What brand did you get?

It’s a John Deere 50d. I learned one thing, they aren’t giving those things away. Lost one last week by an hour and this one they wouldn’t even come off $1000. It’s crazy how in demand they are. I guess that’s good I’m case I ever want to get rid of it

We have 2 50s and a 85 at work. They are good machines. You will be happy with it. I'm a huge fan of the zero turn models. They are so nice digging along walls and tight spaces with out a counterweight sticking out.

When the tail doesn't stick out you have a lot less to worry about. Did you get the 6 way blade by chance? I don't have a 6 way but if I ever sell or trade the one I have the next one will have a 6 way.

When the tail doesn't stick out you have a lot less to worry about. Did you get the 6 way blade by chance? I don't have a 6 way but if I ever sell or trade the one I have the next one will have a 6 way.
Unfortunately no it didn’t have one. My next purchase may be a 6 way for the skid steer…one day.