Bush honeysuckle, autumn olive, stilt grass

I’ve become that guy bringing too many old threads back to life.

I’m also that guy that just bought 75 in SE Ohio (Athens Co) and has 50 ac of invasive hell. All of those mentioned here and more (knotweed, vine HS, bittersweet and calorie pear). Walked it w the state and some others and they had me so depressed I considered selling. How can a vacant land owner deal with this stuff???

I’ve become that guy bringing too many old threads back to life.

I’m also that guy that just bought 75 in SE Ohio (Athens Co) and has 50 ac of invasive hell. All of those mentioned here and more (knotweed, vine HS, bittersweet and calorie pear). Walked it w the state and some others and they had me so depressed I considered selling. How can a vacant land owner deal with this stuff???
In MN and WI they have cost sharing programs which seem to cover the cost of invasive control somewhere between 60-75%. That's with paying a contractor to do the work in removal, obviously you or contractor would have to come back for follow up applications once the initial work is done.

I have buckthorn in MN and bush honeysuckle in WI that I've been dealing with. Buckthorn is faster spreading and much more invasive than BH, also harder to eradicate.

Your father is spot on to be hot on killing invasives. The temptation to rationalize that the invasives do provide cover is normal as they do but take it from one who went that route, it doesn't end well. Like Native stated, plant some good stuff, cage it and keep killing invasives and adding more food plants; you may win in the end. I hinge poplar in the winter figuring I get "paid" twice for the job- once the tops feed the deer that winter and next the amount of ground shoots that come up is reported to be twice what would come up in a summer cut poplar. Doing jobs that we get paid twice for is a good feeling.
This.

Problem is if you get all the stuff you want growing, then you want to kill invasive, it becomes difficult or impossible at times to find a herbicide that will kill one and not the other.

Early, you can also broadcast spray something like triclopyr and it will protect the good grasses.

In MN and WI they have cost sharing programs which seem to cover the cost of invasive control somewhere between 60-75%. That's with paying a contractor to do the work in removal, obviously you or contractor would have to come back for follow up applications once the initial work is done.

I have buckthorn in MN and bush honeysuckle in WI that I've been dealing with. Buckthorn is faster spreading and much more invasive than BH, also harder to eradicate.

Ohio sounds like 30-50% and they have tons of stipulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had some luck with basal bark treatments of 5-to-1 diesel/triclopyr mix in the winter but I'm still overrun with AO. I would think late summer or early fall would be the best time to apply but so much else is going on at that time. Sericea Lespedeza is another. I have that so thick my 50 hp tractor starts to overheat cutting it. I'm a little less concerned with Bush honeysuckle, black locust and multifora rose. I'll never get rid of the AO but I do what I can.