Encouraging Article on CWD in Missouri

They're finding it in new counties consistently....I don't think their plan is slowing down squart and/or there is anything to slow its progression.

I do like the extra tags that they give me for my farm in the Mercer County CWD zone so I'm all for them keeping on.

94046ad4835edb7084f31f5eacf3dee1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CWD remains confined to Linn-Macon-County Core Area​

News from the region
Northeast
By
Joe Jerek

Published Date
03/26/2013

Body
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) has confirmed four more cases of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in free-ranging deer. The four deer were among 102 harvested in January and February in the CWD Core Area of Linn and Macon counties. The Core Area is comprised of a 29-square-mile block along the northern part of the Linn- and Macon-county border where CWD was first detected in free-ranging deer in early 2012. The intensive sampling effort was conducted by MDC and participating landowners to monitor infection rates, and limit the spread of the disease by reducing local deer numbers.
These four new cases bring the total confirmed cases of the disease to 10 in Missouri free-ranging deer with all from the small section of Linn and Macon counties.
MDC tested 3,225 harvested deer statewide for CWD last year, including 196 from the CWD Core Area, and 1,783 from the Department’s larger six-county CWD Containment Zone consisting of Adair, Chariton, Linn, Macon, Randolph and Sullivan counties. MDC has tested more than 38,000 deer for the disease since 2001.
“Our extensive CWD testing indicates we caught the disease while it is still limited to a small number of deer in a very concentrated area,” says MDC State Deer Biologist Jason Sumners. “We hope that by reducing deer numbers in the Core Area, we can remove those with CWD. This will help reduce the spread of the disease to other deer in the area, and prevent, or at least dramatically slow, the spread to other areas of Missouri.”
Sumners adds that more than 90 percent of Missouri land is privately owned, so landowners are vital to deer management and to MDC’s efforts to limit the spread of CWD.
“We greatly appreciate the cooperation of these local landowners,” Sumners said. “The effort to reduce deer numbers within the 29-square-mile core area will help protect the health of deer throughout the state.”
He added that MDC will continue testing harvested free-ranging deer for CWD during future deer seasons.

BSE... first identified in the mid-to-late 1980s. By 2019, a total of 232 people WORLDWIDE had succumbed to variant CJD, the human spongiform encephalopathy attributed to the BSE agent (whether it's a prion or a spiroplasma is still up in the air for me). 232 people. 232... Worldwide... over a 35 yr period. That's about how many folks were murdered in Washington DC last year; about one-third the murder rate in Chicago last year.
Almost every study I've seen showing CWD being able to infect non-cervid species was conducted by injecting CWD-positive brain material intracerebrally - into the brain - of whatever 'target' species the researchers were working with (cattle, raccoons, etc.). Not a natural route of exposure.

Would I eat a deer exhibiting clinical signs of CWD? No.
Will I continue to eat venison from outwardly healthy deer? You betcha.
I was deboning virtually all cuts of meat and removing all lymph nodes, nerves, and most fat, long before I ever heard of CWD. Never ate brain, spinal cord, or spleen.
KY finally confirmed a case in far western KY this past year. We'll see how KDFWR responds...

Herd eradication and repopulation? It is to laugh.
I saw a presentation about Michigan's bovine TB response, 20 years ago. There was a 160 acre high-fenced captive cervid operation with TB in the herd. It took a year and a half to finally find and kill every deer in the enclosure. They ended up having to capture, radio-collar, and release some 'Judas' deer to help them find those that were hiding out.
Total depopulation of a wild, free-ranging population... impossible.
What are signs of CWD?

Are the lymph nodes affected?

Thanks

I think that should be pinned atop every single deer forum on the internet.

If it is scrapie.
Would not the sheep industry request the elimination of deer/elk?

Thank you Mr. Bartylla for having the courage to let that go to print.

BSE... first identified in the mid-to-late 1980s. By 2019, a total of 232 people WORLDWIDE had succumbed to variant CJD, the human spongiform encephalopathy attributed to the BSE agent (whether it's a prion or a spiroplasma is still up in the air for me). 232 people. 232... Worldwide... over a 35 yr period. That's about how many folks were murdered in Washington DC last year; about one-third the murder rate in Chicago last year.
Almost every study I've seen showing CWD being able to infect non-cervid species was conducted by injecting CWD-positive brain material intracerebrally - into the brain - of whatever 'target' species the researchers were working with (cattle, raccoons, etc.). Not a natural route of exposure.

Would I eat a deer exhibiting clinical signs of CWD? No.
Will I continue to eat venison from outwardly healthy deer? You betcha.
I was deboning virtually all cuts of meat and removing all lymph nodes, nerves, and most fat, long before I ever heard of CWD. Never ate brain, spinal cord, or spleen.
KY finally confirmed a case in far western KY this past year. We'll see how KDFWR responds...

Herd eradication and repopulation? It is to laugh.
I saw a presentation about Michigan's bovine TB response, 20 years ago. There was a 160 acre high-fenced captive cervid operation with TB in the herd. It took a year and a half to finally find and kill every deer in the enclosure. They ended up having to capture, radio-collar, and release some 'Judas' deer to help them find those that were hiding out.
Total depopulation of a wild, free-ranging population... impossible.
I'm not sure if you saw the recent report of two men dieing from CJD who also happened to have been consuming deer in a CWD area:

There is still no smoking gun for a causal link between CWD and CJD, but the people in the know seem to think there's a legitimate chance. This is outside my area of expertise, but what I have learned of prions is pretty dang troubling. I think we need to continue to invest money in research to better understand these diseases.

I'm not sure if you saw the recent report of two men dieing from CJD who also happened to have been consuming deer in a CWD area:

There is still no smoking gun for a causal link between CWD and CJD, but the people in the know seem to think there's a legitimate chance. This is outside my area of expertise, but what I have learned of prions is pretty dang troubling. I think we need to continue to invest money in research to better understand these diseases.
Maybe this is nothing, but it's titled "Two Hunters from the Same Lodge".... what exactly does that even mean? All it said in the report is that they're friends. Are they in a Masonic Lodge? Just seems they're trying really hard to make something out of a coincidence.

That's not accurate. Hundreds of people die every year from CJD in the UK and US alone. A few dozen of which are variant CJD.

Last edited:

Well that's scary as hell.

We know scrapie jumped to humans via cattle. Now it seems even more likely that it can jump to humans via deer.

Hoyt
Just for giggles I reread that article and replaced deer with “Bats from SE Asia” and CWD with “coronavirus”

Reading it that way it sure looked like it was written by Fucci. 😆

Maybe this is nothing, but it's titled "Two Hunters from the Same Lodge".... what exactly does that even mean? All it said in the report is that they're friends. Are they in a Masonic Lodge? Just seems they're trying really hard to make something out of a coincidence.
I think they are implying they lived in the same area with the same deer population. This is just a report that two guys who were deer hunters living in the same area and mostly ate deer meat both developed CJD, which is a prion associated disease just like CWD. I don't really think they're making something out of nothing, but as neurologists it's extremely noteworthy. Unfortunately because of the nature of prions, they can't confirm what the source was.

I'm normally not all doom and gloom, but this definitely seems like something we should be keeping an eye on. Prions are a scary thing.

I'm not trying to make a comment on how serious CWD actually is on deer populations or how it should be managed. I'm just saying the downside of a disease like this broadsiding humanity would be catastrophic. I think we should be encouraging as much research in this area as possible to better understand it. As hunters and habitat managers we are in a unique position to advocate the importance of this research.

Whether CWD has existed for centuries or it’s another biological weapon made by the monsters at Fort Collins, 60 years of consumption is enough to convince me there is no problem.

I do however believe there is a tsunami of degenerative neurological diseases coming, including CJD. It would be foolish to look back 60 years for the reason. I’d be looking back to the thing from 2021 of which we no longer speak, and 35 years of malnutrition, seed oils, Diet Coke, and antidepressants in white middle class women.

It all went south when they closed the hauenstien brewery

I think they are implying they lived in the same area with the same deer population. This is just a report that two guys who were deer hunters living in the same area and mostly ate deer meat both developed CJD, which is a prion associated disease just like CWD. I don't really think they're making something out of nothing, but as neurologists it's extremely noteworthy. Unfortunately because of the nature of prions, they can't confirm what the source was.

I'm normally not all doom and gloom, but this definitely seems like something we should be keeping an eye on. Prions are a scary thing.

I'm not trying to make a comment on how serious CWD actually is on deer populations or how it should be managed. I'm just saying the downside of a disease like this broadsiding humanity would be catastrophic. I think we should be encouraging as much research in this area as possible to better understand it. As hunters and habitat managers we are in a unique position to advocate the importance of this research.
I wonder what the odds are those two lodge-mates were making and eating deer brain sausage. There are some odd ducks out there. I wouldn't put anything past what some people choose to eat. Thought I recalled reading once that some big squirrel eaters were developing CJD... maybe they were grinding up carcasses too? Who knows. Then again, I'm eating a piece of jerky shooter from a locker as I type this. Hmmm

Whether CWD has existed for centuries or it’s another biological weapon made by the monsters at Fort Collins, 60 years of consumption is enough to convince me there is no problem.

I do however believe there is a tsunami of degenerative neurological diseases coming, including CJD. It would be foolish to look back 60 years for the reason. I’d be looking back to the thing from 2021 of which we no longer speak, and 35 years of malnutrition, seed oils, Diet Coke, and antidepressants in white middle class women.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Cancer too. We're the oldest generation that's consumed almost exclusively processed food our whole lives. Tsunami coming.

And did I read that one of them ate deer antler velvet?