Dunstan's

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
So I just posted this on AT and I figured it should get posted here too. Someone was asking if they are worth the hype. My answer is yes without a doubt. I didnt score any walmart deals on these, i payed full retail from chestnut hill farms down in florida or whatever, I think it was $95 for 3 trees. Was it worth it, again, so far, yes.

Dunstan's, mine have been excellent growers. I am on the northern side of their range and have very poor soil (almost pure sand) and these things have done awesome. Survived some very harsh winters too.

I think these are 3rd year now. I bought bare root from chestnut hill farms, they arrived as twigs. Not producing yet but I have 3 and they are all doing very well, gotta be getting close.

I started about 25 from seed in my garden this past spring, 12 have grown into trees. I'm pretty stoked.

Here they are in April 2012 when they showed up. First year i kept them at home and babied them like crazy. Then moved to the farm.
2012-05-03_19-07-21_816.jpg

August 2012
2012-08-15_17-12-09_935.jpg

Seriously, check out my beach sand! April 2013
IMG_0472.jpg

September 12, 2015. 3 bags cow manure + Water Sorb + Lumite + Pea Gravel + Concrete Mesh, the best practice planting technique in sandy south central.
CameraZOOM-20150912130808730.jpg

If i can do it, you can do it.

Last edited:
Here is a wider shot of my 3 trees. They do get a good amount of sun but they do have a little protection too. Excellent girth indeed. Tubes have been a waste for me i'll have a hard time ever using them again, I just prefer the durability of cages.

CameraZOOM-20150912130803099.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150912130817501.jpg

Look great up close too.
CameraZOOM-20150912130837287.jpg

I couldn't pay that much for 3 seedling chestnut trees. Nothing wrong with them. Look fine. Just don't get the crazy premium they bring.

Thats awesome Matt!!!

Here's a shot of the trunk last August. It's been a great growing year with lots of precipitation, not too many significant dry spells or extreme heate.

image20140830085334599.jpg

Good looking trees!

Looks good, how far north are these? I have some 2 year olds at my place that got some top kill last year.

I get mine when they go on sale at a local retailer. They come as 3 gallon sizes for $30 - I wait until they go on clearance and get them for only $15! I planted 3 last fall and they have done well so far and I bought another 3 earlier this year - only 1 has died thus far - I think the hole flooded and killed it. No nuts so far, but I look forward to them. I protect them just like I do my fruit trees.

So I just posted this on AT and I figured it should get posted here too. Someone was asking if they are worth the hype. My answer is yes without a doubt. I didnt score any walmart deals on these, i payed full retail from chestnut hill farms down in florida or whatever, I think it was $95 for 3 trees. Was it worth it, again, so far, yes.

Dunstan's, mine have been excellent growers. I am on the northern side of their range and have very poor soil (almost pure sand) and these things have done awesome. Survived some very harsh winters too.

I think these are 3rd year now. I bought bare root from chestnut hill farms, they arrived as twigs. Not producing yet but I have 3 and they are all doing very well, gotta be getting close.

I started about 25 from seed in my garden this past spring, 12 have grown into trees. I'm pretty stoked.

Here they are in April 2012 when they showed up. First year i kept them at home and babied them like crazy. Then moved to the farm.
2012-05-03_19-07-21_816.jpg

August 2012
2012-08-15_17-12-09_935.jpg

Seriously, check out my beach sand! April 2013
IMG_0472.jpg

September 12, 2015. 3 bags cow manure + Water Sorb + Lumite + Pea Gravel + Concrete Mesh, the best practice planting technique in sandy south central.
CameraZOOM-20150912130808730.jpg

If i can do it, you can do it.
I am still debating whether I want to give pureveryone Americans a try. I don't have tons of room, but I might try them next year (grow them this year)

Those are looking great!

Looks good, how far north are these? I have some 2 year olds at my place that got some top kill last year.

South Central, WI. According to USDA zone 5a but very close to 4b, so I would say 4b might be more accurate though. I had a little bit of top kill last year as well but the trees are still thriving.

I am still debating whether I want to give pureveryone Americans a try. I don't have tons of room, but I might try them next year (grow them this year)

Those are looking great!

I have a few pure americans as well, these were started from seed. This one was in a tube, i thought it died last year but it came back in a big way and is now out of a 5' tree tube. I recently (yesterday) added concrete mesh because the deer browsed off the top of this one. These seem to be a lot more fragile than the dunstans.

CameraZOOM-20150801135831524.jpg

I have a few pure americans as well, these were started from seed. This one was in a tube, i thought it died last year but it came back in a big way and is now out of a 5' tree tube. I recently (yesterday) added concrete mesh because the deer browsed off the top of this one. These seem to be a lot more fragile than the dunstans.

CameraZOOM-20150801135831524.jpg

I'd just rather try them than put in more oaks! I can find some places for a burr and maybe some SWO on my lower areas, but I'd still prefer to give a few of them a try. I think it would be awesome to get some going!

How did you get your hands on pure American chestnuts?

American chestnut trees can be purchased from a number of sources. Finding nuts to grow yourself requires a bit more digging, but they can also be had.

I just saw he started from seed. Any seed I've been able to find so far requires a membership for around $1,000 to get 12 nuts. Was a little more than I wanted to drop for a seed that might not even grow this far north.

I second these guys. I think your both right his username is Indianasam but his name is Larry. I get all my chestnuts from him for my grafting. Can't beat the price either.

I'll have to get some from him. Last I checked, there weren't any on there by him.