Chinese foxtail

granitepants

Buck Fawn
I added a five acre field in 2023 which for years had been beans or corn. The last row crop on it was corn in 2022. I had no time to work it last year but the field erupted in thick, tall Chinese foxtail (think so anyway).
6'-7' tall and very thick. Birds love it--perhaps not turkey though. Deer have trails through it, but I'm wondering about the wildlife food value as a whole. I read that certain types of foxtail mixed with hay is no good for cattle/horses due to mouth sores, but whitetail deer are smart enough not to munch on the dry, seasoned seeds, yes?

Edit: Yes I posted a topic, Chinese Foxtail, in the "native" habitat forum. Apologies :-)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5548.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5548.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 15
I had it start popping up pretty much everywhere I killed and tilled for PF sorghum. It must be from the open bare ground.

It's sure seemed like a prolific self seeder. I'll see if I can start getting rid of it this spring as those spots can start getting no till next year.

It has Zero food value. Deer will use any tall grass for travel cover and might even bed in it some. I would be thinking about replacing with a mix of NWSGs and valuable forbs. The right NWSGs will stand the winter better than foxtail, and the right forbs will provide food. Good luck.

Didn’t know there was a Chinese foxtail ?
In Iowa the deer really go through the foxtail and bed it it! We find sheds in the foxtail on occasion.

It has Zero food value. Deer will use any tall grass for travel cover and might even bed in it some. I would be thinking about replacing with a mix of NWSGs and valuable forbs. The right NWSGs will stand the winter better than foxtail, and the right forbs will provide food. Good luck.

I'll likely be rotating through different plantings that will have some sorghum and other plants for pheasant winter food.

We have quite a bit of NWSG and this summer will be planting another 47acres into the Pheasant/pollinator habitat.

I'm leaning toward just letting the foxtail grow. I'd love to have more ragweed or goldenrod but I think this is the best I can do for now with limited time and budget. If I can swing it, I'll burn or mow this Spring.
Still surprised how thick and tall it grew in just one season and wondering where it came from.
Initially, I was planning to have my neighbor farmer add this field to his nearby corn/bean rotation which this time of year is a depressing, empty desert. The foxtail probably not offering much to the whitetail in the way of food but they sure use it judging from the trails, beds and pellets. And the other critters are benefitting as well.

I’m not sure exactly what deer like about foxtail but I have Many good pics of bucks in it, traveling, milling around, beds, dropped sheds. It’s kind of crazy.

I'm leaning toward just letting the foxtail grow. I'd love to have more ragweed or goldenrod but I think this is the best I can do for now with limited time and budget. If I can swing it, I'll burn or mow this Spring.
Still surprised how thick and tall it grew in just one season and wondering where it came from.
Initially, I was planning to have my neighbor farmer add this field to his nearby corn/bean rotation which this time of year is a depressing, empty desert. The foxtail probably not offering much to the whitetail in the way of food but they sure use it judging from the trails, beds and pellets. And the other critters are benefitting as well.

Oh man, I have lots, add several lots here, of ragwed. I have had my dog wearing a green sweater from all the ragweed burrs. If you want ragweed stop by for as much seed and take as many plants as you want.

Where I've got the foxtail I want quality food for my pheasant and hope to get quail back here.

Keep your dogs out of it if you have dogs. It can kill them. Many of the foxtails are mean seeds with a barbed awn. Not good for canines.

Keep your dogs out of it if you have dogs. It can kill them. Many of the foxtails are mean seeds with a barbed awn. Not good for canines.

I didn't realize that. It's a problem keeping the dog out as the Japanese foxtail is in and around my pheasant food plots sorghum.