Dukes dog proof

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Have a few of these traps and have set them twice this year. Both times I’ve caught coons but also both times I’ve had a coon make off with one of my traps. I have no idea what they are doing. Each time my spike is pulled out and sitting right there but the trap and chain are gone. I get that it appears they are just pulling the spike out but if anyone knows the setup the spike goes through one of the links so I don’t know what it’s just laying there and not still attached to the chain? Any ideas, those bastards are getting expensive!!!

I use wire and tie to a tree or t-post,you can use a 1/2 inch rebar with a nut welded on top so chain can't pull off usually around 30-36 inches long.How long of spike were you using.If you could wobble it and pull out with one hand it was too loose.I have to use pipe wrench to pull my big stakes

I always try to chain the traps to a tree. If that's not possible, then I try to use a long rebar stake with about a foot sticking up above the ground. If that is impractical because of rocky soil, I use two crossed stakes.

Coon are crazy strong with a low center of gravity and a big one can pull a single stake out given much time. Cross staking or wiring to a tree or post is good, I also use cable stakes.

I use these to hold traps and also they double for holding licking branches down. There semi permanent. Need to dig them out with a shovel. They have a loop to attach coated wire to the stake. Add a loop on the other end of that wire to attach your trap wire. Drive them in with a screw driver and hammer about 12 inches. No coon is getting them out.

$7/dozen.

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Be...es/Heavy+Duty+Berkshire+Disposable+Stake+Ends
B359C069-7C66-4CC9-A349-5A5EC448E1B5.jpeg

I would use cable stakes as Bill mentioned. Also, try and keep them out of reach of trees, fences, etc.

Coon are crazy strong with a low center of gravity and a big one can pull a single stake out given much time. Cross staking or wiring to a tree or post is good, I also use cable stakes.
Yep. They certainly are. If they can get leverage on something they can really work on it. With dog proofs, I always chained to a tree.