Dr. Woods had some good points this week..

IkemanTx

5 year old buck +
So how long until Sturgis claims they were his ideas way back in the 90’s?

Dr. Woods’ understanding of thermals, displayed in this video, is pretty good. I have been floating silk from milkweed pods now for 5 years straight, probably a gallon or two a season. So I have watched dozens and dozens and dozens of thermals a season. That stand is a classic thermal drop stand setup. He absolutely nailed it. That is a stand many guys wouldn’t understand to set up, and he explained why it worked and how to set it up well.

I know a good portion of Dr. Grant’s ideas were covered in some form in threads on the “forum that shall not be named” and a number of guys give him grief for that. But, I feel like he came about it from a different direction. I have heard him say personally, and in speeches, that he takes a large amount of inspiration from Gabe Brown (Author of “Dirt to Soil”). Gabe’s methods are exactly what he preaches for food plots now. I think he just kinda happened to come to about the same conclusion LC was headed towards, but from a different direction. The research definitely supports multi species cover crops, and our food plots are basically a double cover crop system with no harvested crop. It makes sense that those two ideas would meet in the middle.

He has also put a tremendous amount of research and effort into native habitat manipulation, which I think offers a MUCH bigger bang for your buck than plotting for most habitat managers. Overall, I thought this was one of his most informative videos because it dealt with details most other sources aren’t willing or capable of diving into.

I can’t afford a no-till drill, nor a crimper... but I always seem to get something useful out of his videos.

Yep, yep. Woods is a bit of a bandwagon jumper, too.

What he’s done to his Proving Grounds is a real testament to what a full time crew of hands, and a sponsorship from Flatwood Natives can do — guided of course by a great vision and deep know-how. #timeand$

I find it funny you mention Sturgis. Seems like the two are jousting with their videos.

Good tips.
Just had to wade through a lot of infomercial to get them :)

Speaking of Sturgis. I've seen where they both differ immensely with removing trees. Woods likes the hack and squirt method with natural regeneration. Sturgis likes the hinge cut with high stem count. Sturgis has mentioned several times if he's buying land to hunt, he doesn't want any oak trees on the property.

I'm guessing if you have mature forest, hinge cutting is a good option. For intermediate age forest, I'm not real sure. For new growth, I can't imagine it would be very helpful. Woods claims hinge cutting would add cover and browse initially, but in a few years, it would be a pain in the neck to hinge cut all that new growth. Almost noone goes back in to do that, so in a few years, you still have the garbage trees you didn't want to begin with. Additionally, it's quickly out of deer browse level too.

Woods wants a savannah-like setting. Hack and squirt gets rid of the unwanted trees and stimulates other growth. I can't remember if he burns later on or not. Initially, that would likely stimulate weeds, briars, etc before trees start growing. Sturgis claims this leads to more herbaceous summer food and deer have 5 times more food in the summer than they need. The woody browse is more for Fall/Winter when it's needed.

I'm sure it's dependent on the property you're managing, and dependent on the types of trees cut. Either way, I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on those two positions.

I can't believe people actually waste time watching any of these guys. They just re-format & re-market what in already known.

I have said many times ... habitat/food plot is at best 20-30% of the game ... learning to actually hunt is what counts ... there is no silver bullet ... for every 1 hour of video you watch per week, spend 4 hours/week scouting your property ... or come on these blogs and just speculate ...

Everything said by these guys must be taken in context. They both offer very good information but not all should be applied in every situation. I personally dislike hinge cuts as I think they are ugly and to me it is not a bmp which utilize on my farm.

One size does not fit all and every property has issues. Whether it be invasive control or lacking thermal cover etc. The one thing these guys do is give us options which we can either utilize or dismiss. I give them credit for that!

You have to also understand different areas of the country - along with different properties - make a difference. Land managers talk about thermal cover all the time - usually in the context of providing some protection from wind and cold in the winter. I am in south ARkansas - my thermal cover is an area for deer to find relief from heat and blazing sun in the summer - full canopy overstory and very little brush understory provides shade and allows a breeze to circulate through the woods. Thats where my deer spend their summer days. I, too, like a savannah type habitat - for my deer, turkeys, rabbits, nesting doves, etc. Bedding and concealment cover is a dime a dozen in my area - savannah habitat is infrequently found. And food plots are the reason for 90% of my deer. I think a lot of folks take these so called deer experts too literally. Every practice is not applicable to every piece of ground. Listen to it all, and try some of it to see what fits your property.

The Savannah habitat looks too wide open to me especially when fall hits. Has anyone here restored their property to savannah? I enjoy watching both their content. Grant = habitat management for sportsman phase all native species / Jeff = habitat management for trophy / method phase for whitetail people.

Last edited:
Grant Woods is well respected by his peers and I believe a day spent on the farm or ranch with him would be time well spent. The better biologist are quite adept at modifying their approach to fit the location be it the thick forests of the south, brush country in deep south Tx. or northern properties.

The Savannah habitat looks too wide open to me especially when fall hits. Has anyone here restored their property to savannah? I enjoy watching both their content. Grant = habitat management for sportsman phase all native species / Jeff = habitat management for trophy / method phase for whitetail people.

The areas I hunt typically fall historically in post oak savannah areas anyways. Some of the national grasslands near me have been restored to savannah, and they are typically insanely productive animal wise, especially after a fire. It’s nothing like the deer densities many guys in the Midwest are used to, but those areas will easily double deer densities over the surrounding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk