dolgo crabs

wildfire

5 year old buck +
Checked the 26 dolgo crabs planted 2010, 7 are loaded - overloaded. What can be done with the american plum? good size trees, not much usable food.

Am. plum seems to vary in crop load from year to year. I've seen some over the years that are loaded, but most aren't. They are tasty little devils when ripe

You got different taste buds than me! My eyes sucker me into trying one every year, they can look darn tempting on the bush. But the pucker factor always gets me.:eek: I have had some great plum jelly, but never have enjoyed one fresh.

Checked the 26 dolgo crabs planted 2010, 7 are loaded - overloaded. What can be done with the american plum? good size trees, not much usable food.
Are they close enough together that they're getting pollinated? I'm not certain they require that, but I've got some back at my dad's that became huge trees and never produced a single fruit. They were quite a distance from each other and that was my only guess. The ones up on the yard load up every year.

Are they close enough together that they're getting pollinated? I'm not certain they require that, but I've got some back at my dad's that became huge trees and never produced a single fruit. They were quite a distance from each other and that was my only guess. The ones up on the yard load up every year.
Are you talking about wild plums or dolgos?
Wild plums seldom grow to become a huge tree. They are a thicket.

In my experience, frost gets many of my plum blossoms-probably 3 out of 4 years.

Are you talking about wild plums or dolgos?
Wild plums seldom grow to become a huge tree. They are a thicket.

In my experience, frost gets many of my plum blossoms-probably 3 out of 4 years.
Plums. The first tree I ever planted was a plum that sprouted up in the garden. That tree is now ten years old or more, and quite large, but I've never seen it produce. I don't know if they need another plum to pollinate or not. I googled for a while to try to figure it out, and no luck.

They have to be ripe....like almost over ripe. If you take the skin off, the flesh is pretty sweet. The skin is super astringent to me

I will have to try peeling some this year.

Watch for when they start falling. Best ones I've had were the ones the I picked up off the ground within a day of them falling. Watch out for bugs though. Ate a bunch of them before I realized I was doing it. By that time, you can squeeze the seed and flesh right outta the skin.

Watch for when they start falling. Best ones I've had were the ones the I picked up off the ground within a day of them falling. Watch out for bugs though. Ate a bunch of them before I realized I was doing it. By that time, you can squeeze the seed and flesh right outta the skin.

Maybe they were starting to ferment :D. I feel like the wild plum flavor would make some great wine. I need to find a amateur wine maker that I can donate some plums to and find out.

Maybe they were starting to ferment :D. I feel like the wild plum flavor would make some great wine. I need to find a amateur wine maker that I can donate some plums to and find out.
The flavor was fantastic! I started gobbling them up one after the other, then I got one that had little black bugs inside and realized I had probably eaten quite a few of them for as fast as I was going. That's what got me to asking my dad about them. He said those were all those seedlings we till under in the garden every spring. That's when I started popping them out and transplanting them around the woods.

American Plum is one tough tree and they sucker besides. They grow well on sand and provide a nice screen/habitat and some food. I think they are perfect for tree rows along with spruce