Dolgo versus dolgo seedlings

sandbur

5 year old buck +
The small purple fruit is from grafted dolgo as what is seen when we purchase dolgo from nurseries in the upper Midwest. I suspect most of these come from Bailey’s.

The larger fruit is from a dolgo seedling. I have 3-4 of these seedlings with larger fruit and I also have dolgo seedlings with 3/8 inch sized fruit.

Please ignore the hail and insect damage.The grafted dolgo can also be about 20% larger during a year with normal rainfall.1451C9AC-1827-412B-AACF-595DF3EF71B5.jpeg

92BA7F59-E098-4E61-847B-FF81E3A8C8D6.jpeg
Purchased/grafted dolgo.

DC62DAF8-4E7B-4593-8CF3-F27EE0CE3D18.jpeg
Dolgo seedling with hail damage

Please don’t accept the tale that dolgo seedlings are true to form.

I noticed my grafted Dolgo are loaded this year with smaller than typical fruits. Severe drought in our area. My newest one from BHWN planted in 2021 has a few fruit too. All three look exactly the same. That dark red/purplish fruit.

^^^^ similar, loaded but slightly smaller fruit. Would also add to Sandbur comment that besides size differences the seedlings also can vary widely in drop time. My grafted dolgo are pretty much late Aug to Labor day timeframe. Cut one open a few days ago and seeds were getting dark. Grafted ones are from a WI nursery (Wallace Woodstock) and not specified but likely from Baileys on M7 rootstock. For how old the tree is has not really gotten that large.

Edit: Many of the other crabs which are usually yellow/green yet definitely have more of a red blush to them earlier this year also

Last edited:
I noticed my grafted Dolgo are loaded this year with smaller than typical fruits. Severe drought in our area. My newest one from BHWN planted in 2021 has a few fruit too. All three look exactly the same. That dark red/purplish fruit.
Same here, smaller fruit this year

I have three dolgo (seedling) rootstocks out front and I snapped pictures today.

Previous pictures were from the Outback.EE9EEF93-5454-484C-9454-83F51ABF18E0.jpeg

I have three dolgo (seedling) rootstocks out front and I snapped pictures today.

Previous pictures were from the Outback.View attachment 56726
This was a bench graft to Golden Hornet that failed. I am glad it did.

69C24D63-8085-481A-8576-31EE306DDB9D.jpeg
Dolgo rootstock number two is very similar to grafted dolgo.

Attachments

• 97254000-862A-4927-82C4-D00429D37BF5.jpeg
    97254000-862A-4927-82C4-D00429D37BF5.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 9
C178E4D7-626B-45CB-99E7-4C767C2D2714.jpeg
Dolgo rootstock number three is the size that I call ‘bird crabs’. Surprisingly, this is a late drop and the deer feed on it towards the end of our winter.

That larger lighter 1st one looks more like a siberian crab. How do the drop times compare for your 3? I topworked a toringo crabapple with dolgo this spring.

That larger lighter 1st one looks more like a siberian crab. How do the drop times compare for your 3? I topworked a toringo crabapple with dolgo this spring.
Lots of variation in drop times. I think a good plan would be to plan 20 or so dolgo rootstock, protect them, and let them grow. After fruiting, top work the ‘bird sized crabs’ if you don’t want to feed the grouse and turkeys.

Lots of variation in drop times. I think a good plan would be to plan 20 or so dolgo rootstock, protect them, and let them grow. After fruiting, top work the ‘bird sized crabs’ if you don’t want to feed the grouse and turkeys.
Sonds like what I did! I planted 12 dolgo seedlings a few years ago. I've grafted several over to other types and have left a few alone that seem to be fruiting already. For me, it's a great grafting experience that doesn't require much investment. It's fun to see that a cheap seedling dolgo can turn into a nice frankentree.

Attachments

• graft 2022.jpg
    graft 2022.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 8
I also detect differences in CAR resistance.
Definitely noticed that on the Dolgo rootstock I got from Blue Hill in '22. Some were pristine, others were hammered by CAR. (Was able to see it because it sure likes to throw off shoots below the graft union initially).

Is there anywhere to buy Dolgo rootstock in bundles of 50 or 100 at a reasonable price ?

^^^^ similar, loaded but slightly smaller fruit. Would also add to Sandbur comment that besides size differences the seedlings also can vary widely in drop time. My grafted dolgo are pretty much late Aug to Labor day timeframe. Cut one open a few days ago and seeds were getting dark. Grafted ones are from a WI nursery (Wallace Woodstock) and not specified but likely from Baileys on M7 rootstock. For how old the tree is has not really gotten that large.

Edit: Many of the other crabs which are usually yellow/green yet definitely have more of a red blush to them earlier this year also
Information on three dolgo seedlings to follow. I can only post one picture at a time. The first picture is the Buckman crab which is loaded with fruit and the limbs are hanging, but the fruit is smaller than previous years. There is some drop but most are holding tight. The drop might be from drought76E75FD4-79B0-4250-AB41-8254D9429E13.jpeg

4CA80FA7-6EEE-4A4A-A3FC-A5CFF2EFDD0A.jpeg
Two more dolgo seedlings. The one on the left we decided to call Clowns Nose. It is just beginning to drop. The two on the right are from a tree near the end of drop with a more global shaped fruit.