Dolgo versus dolgo seedlings

View attachment 57432
Two more dolgo seedlings. The one on the left we decided to call Clowns Nose. It is just beginning to drop. The two on the right are from a tree near the end of drop with a more global shaped fruit.
FA29DC97-0E00-4A05-BEBD-3D2E029169BB.jpeg
Taste test. Clowns Nose is now on the top and it has more of a crab or acid taste but not bitter. The other dolgo seedling needs a name and is much sweeter. This is the one my wife tasted and said ‘Yum’!
I am not sure which I like better.

My dolgo seedling fruit, depending on the tree, is red, orange, yellow or nearly black when ripe. The fruit size ranges by tree quite a bit. The taste, by tree, ranges from bland to extremely astringent. The drop times, by tree, are anywhere from about late September to midwinter, though in some years the midwinter ones drop around Thanksgiving instead. I've been thinking that the droptime variability of a given tree may be due to differences in soil moisture year-too-year or it might have to do with growing degree days (that is, did they get fully ripe and then drop versus eventually fell off even though they were less than fully ripe). Most of them have extended bloom seasons, so they are good pollination partners for the other apple trees around. Some grow very vigorously. On the other hand, I had a couple get only five feet tall, grow their branches in a spiral configuration, and grow thorns. I cut those down when they were about 20 years old after nothing I did to try to train them worked.