Do You have a Favorite Hunting Show?

I watch far less hunting shows than i used to. I still do enjoy a few shows and they usually feature genuine, humble, and modest people....and excellent story telling and production. The other shows i stopped watching because of the celebrity personality and ego of the "actors" and the poor reflection of what a hunter is and should be. The over simplification of the hunt is nearly unbearable. The marketing doesn't bother me that much....annoying at most.....but i take it for what it is....people trying to get paid. some are better at it than others...like most things in life. I know BS when i see it.

I watch hunting shows for two reasons. 1) to be entertained and 2) to learn something. However what i find entertaining is not what most shows are producing.

I like Destination Whitetail because they show how other people hunt deer in other parts of the country and it tells a story of average guys hunting deer the way they do, where they do.....that is entertaining to me.

Midwest Whitetail is great because Bill Winke is just a good guy, he shows his mistakes and he is great a breaking the whole process down and explaining all the aspects of what he is doing and why....that is educational.

I also really like Meat Eater.... I love to eat, I love to cook, i love to hunt and I like the cerebral approach he has to being a hunter/conservationist.

Heartland Bowhunter also has some of the best production....and they tell a good story....and they don't always kill.

I've got admit that I haven't seen D&DH TV ever....maybe it doesn't air when I have time to watch? I don't even know what channel its on? I could always set the DVR.... I really enjoy Steve B's candor and personality so i'm sure i could enjoy a show that he is on.

I watch very little "outdoor TV", if I do it is usually bird hunts, or stuff out west, mostly to see the locale's they hunt in. I do stop on "The Crush" occasionally, mostly because Tiffy-pop is easy on the eyes. I don't mind the some of the online shows mentioned above, but much of it is redundant and/or very basic knowledge to most who frequent this site.

I knew what you meant Steve. I didn't want anyone thinking I was gonna sell it all and try to be the next Bill Jordan. I just love making hunting and fishing videos. Each one gets a little better than the last. Last night I watched all of mine just to help cope with a hard day at the office. I'm hoping to do a video this fall of pulling the tubes off and doing some pruning, as well as some timber work. I want to put a trail cam on some tree tops after I bring them down. I can't remember who did it, but I thought that was really neat to see how deer hone in on fresh tips once they're on the ground.

I'll watch The American Way, Gamekeepers, Get In The Game (too much repeated content lately though), Furtakers and Wingshooting USA, but not much else. Natty's writeup was spot on for most others... I always chuckle when they say they "have the deer patterned". In MY woods, we need our head on a swivel because they (deer OR turkey) will come from ANY direction...

I agree with Phil above. I watch to be entertained & to learn something. But I don't want to be drowned in ads. 30 min. show - 15 min. of ads. If people tune out, it's counter-productive.

I think we all understand that it takes $$$ to air these shows. But the amount of ad time is killing interest. Just a thought - an hour long show, 3 - 4 min. of ads at the 30 min. mark, then a scrolling of sponsors at the end of the show with a verbal thank-you to those sponsors and a " try out these fine products " from the " stars ". I'd be more inclined to watch a show like that because there would be time to show some habitat work, scouting, stand placement, with some explanations. More meat & potatoes.

You wanna see a really bad one? Watch Midwest Outdoors. I have seen entire segments where the entirety of the dialogue was promo. Not a single word about fishing, while they were fishing except when the tackle rep was pushing the "wichadidya"

As Steve stated these shows pay cable to air them just like infomercials for the pocket fisherman, shamwow, oxyclean, ect. So it's really product whoring from some egomaniac. I tried to find the ratings but they must rank lower then MsLsd.

I bet! Hahahahahaha!

I enjoy watching a lot of the shows mentioned here. I don't watch them to learn I watch them to be entertained. It has to be a tough way to make a buck (pun intended ) there are only a few I'm guessing that make a solid living at it. I have couple of friends that are fish guides and they have nice boats and are mortgaged out there ears. No clients they sill have a payment to make. I would think that a lot of the deer show are no kill no pay .

So if I send you free seed, would you put me in one of your upcoming shows Steve? I could have the Barracuda come with and hunt in here Bikini! Maybe pull a Janet Jackson with a accidental on purpose Nip Slip on Camera! I could drink beer and help edit the show! I could play My banjo for the closing credits. I think we have something Steve!!!:D
MoBuckChaser I had you peg more as a Chello or French horn player than Banjo... Ha Ha. Let me know when you start up I can donate a 6 pack or 2. Great Idea .

I you want some good entertainment, talk to some old timer in deer camp that you have never talked, I mean listened to before.

After awhile, they run out of stories, and tend to repeat themselves. But good the first time.

After awhile, they run out of stories and tend to repeat...

After awhile, ...:D

I do enjoy some of these old timers more than the TV shows.

As Steve stated these shows pay cable to air them just like infomercials for the pocket fisherman, shamwow, oxyclean, ect. So it's really product whoring from some egomaniac. I tried to find the ratings but they must rank lower then MsLsd.

The ratings are so bad you would not believe. I did the research back in the day a tracked quarters where we spent heavy on TV vs print and TV does not move product. 30 million households with ODC and 3 million bowhunters. Do the math and tell me any archery company can make that work.

Hate to be a Debbie downer but I never watch anymore. 17 minutes hawking bs product and 12 minutes of a)high fence hunts b) inflating scores c) "cull" bucks to get a kill.

Ditto ... These shows allow those that can't, to fanaticize about what might happen. Just like the lottery ...

Stopped watching these show 6-7 years ago. Got tired of the 5 commercial breaks and then watching the same set-up scene over and over again.

And why do I need 5 minutes at the beginning of every show with some disorganized guy in a completely packed truck lost in the dark with bad music on?

I guess that is this generation ... watch a TV show or You Tube channel rather than organizing your own adventure.

You'll learn more in 3 hours sitting in a tree stand than a year of these shows ...

So if I send you free seed, would you put me in one of your upcoming shows Steve? I could have the Barracuda come with and hunt in here Bikini! Maybe pull a Janet Jackson with a accidental on purpose Nip Slip on Camera! I could drink beer and help edit the show! I could play My banjo for the closing credits. I think we have something Steve!!!:D

Sounds like a winner, MO. Only problem is that I don't have a show. I took a different route and am merely someone that various shows have brought in over the years to provide how-to info.

That said, buy a booth at the Archery Trade Association show to sell seeds (or any other product you could dream of) to dealers and it's a lock that you will have way more hunting shows fighting for you to sponsor them than dealers wanting to carry your products in their store or chain (even if you have the best products at the show). I will bet you the house, truck and pitifully small retirement that you won't find 1 show willing to let you do that (and list you as a sponsor) for some free seeds. You will find multiple shows willing to do that, as well as a couple that are doing web TV &/or DVDs.

Pitch them on allowing you to ride a tricycle in circles, while wearing nothing but Depends for 5 mins straight in each show, in exchange for any kind of $ sponsorship, and I honestly wouldn't bet against you getting someone to bite. The majority oif shows are that desperate for paying sponsors...Getting your wife on the show hunting each week and you playing banjo for the closing credits, in exchange for nothing but some seeds, would be easy.

And why do I need 5 minutes at the beginning of every show with some disorganized guy in a completely packed truck lost in the dark with bad music on?

Because that gives them a somewhat plausible reason to show footage of a ton of sponsors' products they're moving around/digging through, as they are "getting ready"...Same reason so many shows have the hunter practicing early in the show. You can work the bow/gun, arrow/ammunition, sight/scope, release, target and a couple other sponsors in by wearing one's hat and another's shirt, all in one segment, without it overtly looking "infomercially." The vast majority of everything shown on the majority of TV shows is all about hitting the number of exposures they're contracted by their sponsors to hit. That's also why most shows have infomercials as their "tip" segment and do a show on "touring" the Antler Dirt facilities or on all the new products at the ATA show (which is really all their sponsors' products at the ATA show).

Just compare what Steve has posted to what John has given us with this forum. John has not promoted his products one bit.

THANK YOU for this forum. We owe you!

Just compare what Steve has posted to what John has given us with this forum. John has not promoted his products one bit.

THANK YOU for this forum. We owe you!

And John is one guy that should pimp his stuff. I for one would like to learn more about cuttings, types for sale, What works best, where, etc!

Should be nothing wrong if he did pimp his goods here! JMO!

I agree with both Mo and Art on this one. John has provided a service here that is greatly appreciated. At the same time, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with promoting products, so long as it is done in a, for lack of a better phrase, "honest and sincere manner".

In John's specific case, I've long believed he should have a section that is 100% on his products. He could start threads for each and explain them in detail, as well as answer any ?s regarding them. Frankly, I think that would add to the forum, not detract from it, and that he is missing an opportunity by not doing so. I know I would like to use some of his stuff, but would have a ton of ?s before I could buy. If someone has no interest, they can simply not read that section.

In my mind, there is nothing inherently wrong with pimping products at all. The problems come into play in how and how much they are pimped.

John?.........Your thoughts? Is there a spot to post a cuttings section for yourself? I think it would be well received.

Great idea, Steve. Forum members could also post questions and perhaps share information on winter hardiness of the various cuttings as we try them in the northern reaches.

MO,

I don't think the TV situation is a big impact on the hunting companies in the long run either way. TV doesn't drive demand for most product groups (whether every TV show went belly up tomorrow or not, people will still need bows, arrows, heads, most every major product category). It merely helps push buyers towards one or the other (The Boone Collectors are so cool and they shoot _______ heads (no clue what arrow heads they shoot, but insert whichever they are sponsored by). since I want to be cool like them, I'll buy the same thing.).

As far as the "big names" go, they're also in good shape. Some companies want to be associated with them because the key decision maker legitimately star struck by this one or that one and wants to become buddies with them (go out partying and hunting with them). Other companies believe they'll help them move the extra $50,000-$500,000 they pay them in products and more. Yet others believe sponsoring them will give them the exposure they need to break into their niche market better. There's a long list of reasons that companies believe the very top names are worth gobs of $.

The ones in TV land that are headed for trouble or already neck deep in it are the TV shows and "stars" that aren't Lee & Tiffy, Bill Winke, Pat & Nichole, Bone Collectors, Jim Shockey and so on. If people like those listed make up the top two tiers in TV Land, it's a lot of those 3rd tier on down shows and "stars" that are hurting or most likely going to be in the not distant future.

We are approaching what will likely be the 3rd revolution of a repeating cycle of TV shows and stations folding, as the TV world shrinks. It builds and builds, then corrects its size by a station or two going bankrupt and taking a bunch of shows with them, only to starting growing in the number of stations and shows again.

SD, I have no doubt you can get a lot of viewers. The catch 22 is for those trying to make a living in that niche of the industry. If they don't pimp products, how do they cover their costs and get paid? You can get product sponsors (where they give you no $, but give you free product...More than a few shows on the hunting channels do that, because they can't fill all their sponsorship slots and they believe the audience and potential future sponsors will take them more seriously if they pretend _____, ______ & ______ sponsor their show, instead of being 3 sponsors short). Sponsors won't pay if they don't feel they are getting more than whatever they charge back in sales. Something like that may eventually get a few paying members to view the videos, if the youtube channel got enough viewers and became established, not many would even pay $1 a month, because they can watch so much stuff for free. Charging for anything when free alternative exist is a tough road.

That is exactly why the group of guys I am with are not taking out 2nd and 3rd mortgages to finance a 13 episode run to pay for a $500,000 time slot this is not even prime. It's hard to get a cash sponsor for even $1000 for that matter. We have DVD sales from a number of videos and have had some footage featured on other tv shows but that is just enough to keep us interested in providing some informative footage. Where it makes sense to do more is if you have your own product to sell. For that matter just the cost of doing the winter/spring deer shows is expensive to promote yourself.

If you are a young, single guy and work hard living on the road then you can probably sell enough to support your habit assuming you have good stuff but do not expect what you make to cover the cost of raising a family in 99.9% of the cases.