Deer Rifle for 12 Year Old - What to Buy?

Both my daughters have the 7.08's. I would prefer NOT to use a .243 even for myself. I just do not feel they are adequate for our big northwoods deer.
Agreed! My son has been shooting a .243 for 9 years, since he was 12, shot 8 deer. My Dad has a 7mm-08, I would like a 7mm-08.

My son passed his Hunter Safety Program yesterday:D:D. I promised him a new deer rifle to commemorate him becoming a Hunter!! What would you suggest?
My wife won a weatherby(pick of caliber) two years ago. A lot of people suggested a 7mm 08. That' s what we went with. I like the caliber, the ballistics are pretty impressive for the low recoil from this gun. It is also a gun that they won't grow out of, which is what I see a lot of people do with 243s or 30/30s.
Thanks...;)

Last edited:
I got my daughter a Savage .243, I try to get her a bonded bullet for it. Last year I did have some issue finding ammo right before the season..we shot up too much practicing leading up to the season. This year I will plan a little better and make sure to hold back a box for hunting.

The only issue with .243 is when people buy poor ammo, Use a quality bullet and no problem. A cheap bullet in a larger caliber is more forgiving, a cheap 100 grain bullet and you are asking for problems or some guys will go lighter than 100 grains NOT a good idea.

Caliber always comes up on this topic.....and it's ONE factor in gun choices. GUN SIZE is another important factor. Gotta have a reasonably short gun.....so think 18 to 20" max barrels. Gotta have a short but-stock and a pad if it has any degree of recoil. Keep the over-all length down so a youngster can mount the gun and hold it steady. No small feat for a kid. Probably don't want a gun much over 7.5 lbs. Easy to operate safety and actions are another plus.

Keep any scope down to a compact size and magnification. If your hunting in the woods...iron sights....or better yet PEEP SIGHTS !!! (once again PEEP SIGHTS!!) are a good bet out to 100 yards or so. Lots of dry fire practice is called for. Reduced recoil loads are great for youngsters if you go the 7mm-08 route.

i really don't think a lever gun is the best choice. just not as safe as other types. i have a .243 and it has killed every deer i've shot w/ it on the first shot. I can't shoot high recoil guns because i have wires going to my spinal cord (long story) and docs don't want them jolted. my next gun will probably be a 7.08 which is another great option.

...although, that new mossberg lever sounds interesting (and safer)

Last edited:
I will also add that my boys was 6 and the other was 7 when they started hunting and had no problem shooting the youth 243 at that young age. they both killed a deer their first year.
My oldest boy is now 14 and has been shooting a reg size adult bolt action 30-06 since 12yrs old.

It would be good to ask around and see if you could borrow a couple guns for him to try before buying.
Some of the youth guns are real small, and the child may not want to shoot it in a year or 2.
He may just fit a reg size riffle, but just depends on the child.
All kids are differant.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions - extremely helpful!!...;) Prior to yesterday, I had never heard of a 7.08 caliber. Talked with my son today, he agreed it would be best to try out a number of different rifles. Hopefully we can spend the summer trying out a few different models and calibers.

Thanks again!

The 7mm-08 is simply a .308 case necked down to a 7mm(.284 caliber) bullet.

7mm-08

The 7mm-08 is simply a .308 case necked down to a 7mm(.284 caliber) bullet.

7mm-08
and the .243 is a .308 necked down to 6mm(.243). Winchester sure hit a home run with the .308 case and the .300 win mag as well. It's funny how rifle cases are like apple trees.

cartridge I recommend 243 or 7mm08
rifle- ruger american compact or marlin x7 best bang for your buck for sure at less that 4 bills
FYI cabelas is running a sale tomarrow for the american for $329.00. I just went an put one in layway. They said they would honor the sale price as long as I pay for it during the sale. I went with 243... Good luck

I got one when I was 13. Still using it 18 years later. Hasn't let me down yet.
Thanks badgerfowl, One of my co-workers said the same thing. Thanks for sharing...;)

cartridge I recommend 243 or 7mm08
rifle- ruger american compact or marlin x7 best bang for your buck for sure at less that 4 bills
FYI cabelas is running a sale tomarrow for the american for $329.00. I just went an put one in layway. They said they would honor the sale price as long as I pay for it during the sale. I went with 243... Good luck

Jordan, Thanks for the suggestion and FYI on the Cabelas sale...;)

Not a problem. Blood trails can be sparse but I've only had to trail a couple out of 15+. I attribute that to cheap bullets. I've switched to Hornady light mags or w/e they are, and there has been plenty of blood. Most haven't traveled more than 20 yards. If they do happen to go out of sight, I've found them within 20 yards of where I last saw them. It's a fast, flat shooter w/ virtually no recoil. I've got a Remington 700. With a .243 you may not even need a youth model.

Skipping the youth model would be great...Thanks!

yeah at 12 I would def skip the youth model and get the larger 7mm-08 or 308 for sure. 7mm08 long range ballistics are better than 308.. If I could have one deer rifle for the rest of my life it would prolly be a tikka t3 stainless in 308 topped with a nice burris scope.

i have to agree myself that 7mm08 and .308 (w/ low recoil rounds) would be a great choice for a 12 year old. and i wouldn't get a youth model either. a 12 year old is going to grow like a weed in the next 3-4 years.

243's are great though too. people will say they are underpowered but deer have always dropped within sight for me. we've had about 7 or 8 deer shot w/ 243s. next to no recoil at all. but the underpowered concerns always bring me to what i see as the next step up, the 7mm08.

good thread. i'm also in the market for a rifle for my son. he's only 10 though. i'm thinking of giving him my .243 and picking up a 7.08 or .308 for myself.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!! - Going to take a look at a Ruger American tomorrow. Seems to have a lot of positive reviews...