Deer have disappeared

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Acorns could be starting to drop, get a camera on some oaks.

+1

If wolves move in, the deer move out. Where you located?

I would say acorns or apples are dropping.

I think everyone is right to guess food is changing. Could be any of those things. I got to imagine their diet is quite different from month to month all year long and that will dictate where they sleep.

What kind of food is your direct area offering? Sounds like they switched food sources. I get it even with a overpopulation.

I see shifts in deer ranges multiple times a year with one of them being at the beginning of September. I think the guys are right about food sources but it won't be long before Batchelor groups split up.

Talked to some bear guys in Onamia and the recent high winds put almost all the acorns on the ground. Really shut down the baits.

Thanks for all the inputs. I will be putting a camera in my little 10 acre oak woods today.

Not a great time of year to be 'in' the woods. If you have a way in and out w/o detection (scent stays for days) great, but many do more harm than good with cameras in the woods this close to hunting season. Cameras on trails accessed by wheeler may be a better option.

I like it, minimal disturbance and you and the deer might be in for a surprise on opening day!

There is way too much stock put into trail cameras. To me, ole fashion scouting is so much more enjoyable and in the big picture has more value. The so called experts speak little of scouting, because I don't think they really know how to do it. Gotta be a well rounded hunter and see the big picture. Trail cams are not big picture. I've tried them and still have one, but they have never directly led to a kill of any of my trophies, or does for that matter.
Reading sign, iding food sources and smart scouting is what kills deer.

We moved a stand today that is near a few apple trees. Every few seconds you could hear apples hitting the ground. I mean the trees are loaded on our farm this year. There are branches that are hanging close to the ground because they have so much weight on them. Lets just say we moved a few cameras under apple trees.

I have an apple tree cam on the deer's favorite apple tree. They could care less about the camera on this tree as long as thee are apples on it. I have to set it at 10 second delay and still get 800 pics a week. I also have a cam in a LC plot that only gets 2 pics a week. Once October, November roll around both these plots have the same number of deer visiting and I don't hesitate to hunt either. Pics don't really mean much right now for me.

Marvin just pulled our cam cards today. He said our buck sightings have pretty much dried up. There aren't much for white oaks in our area, and zero on our property. Without being up there, it's hard to say what food change is going on. Maybe our soybeans that refuse to die are starting to dry off.

I've got an acre brassica plot that isn't fenced. I can't get the plants past 2"s. I hope they damn deer disappear for awhile.

I've got an acre brassica plot that isn't fenced. I can't get the plants past 2"s. I hope they damn deer disappear for awhile.

My brassica's are filled with water hemp. I'm hoping that keeps them off the turnips a while. I was bothered by its presence until I relized water hemp doesn't have enough leafs to shade out an ant hill.

MNFish,
Your lucky, my deer seem to hit the woods right when the season starts. Hopefully yours will be back by then.

Jeff-deer are pretty much gone from my land also. They will return, given time. I do not have a lot of oaks.

I just checked this thread. The first thing I thought of was acorns dropping, like Whip said in post #2. That's usually the thing that gets the deer out of our plots and back into the woods. We can have clover, rye, chicory, oats, apples - you name it - the acorns win out because of the high fat content in them. The deer will still come out to hit the apples and plots - way after dark - but the acorns become the #1 food choice. If soybeans are around, I'd think they'd be a big draw too. One of our camp member's cameras go a little empty this time of year too - probably because of food source changes.