Age? Much future in him?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I know this buck well; bedding area and travel patterns. I think he has a chance to get bigger, but not sure he'll ever gain much mass or more points. As it sits he's taking up a spot that one of our younger 10's might take over if he disappeared. What says you guys; choot him if given a chance, or just enjoy having him around year round?
20231110_120608.jpg20231110_120515.jpg

His best buddy. They are together most of the yr. Screenshot_20231110_121922_Gallery.jpg

The type of bucks that "could" possibly fill his spot if he were gone.Screenshot_20231110_121859_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_122025_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_121943_Gallery.jpg

Choot. At least he'd be on the list at my place. I see 4.5 to 5.5 based on the neck girth. and he'll never be a booner (never 100% but I don't see it). I'm always in favor of making room for something with real potential.

I think there are several with potential. No guarantee any of them will take the spot, but they certainly won't if he's still here.

Last pic is him with another buck. He looks oldish and short to me. Even if he gains some mass next yr I don't see him being huge.
Screenshot_20231110_132430_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_132505_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_132331_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_132400_Gallery.jpg

That would be in my freezer already. Or at least I would have made an attempt to put him in the freezer.

With that many options I would be looking for two types of bucks..

1. Buck with a rack bigger than what I've already got on the wall.
2. The buck that will provide the most meat for the freezer.

He looks like he's #2, so I wouldn't pass on him.

I'm in the same boat this year. But I hate to use my buck tag, because we only get one. The only thing that changed from last year on this deer was adding that tiny little sticker. Otherwise he is a clone from last year. And, we are not really low on meat right now.

g1-IMG_0501.JPG

Attachments

• g1-IMG_0502.JPG
    g1-IMG_0502.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 20
  • g1-IMG_0501.JPG
    g1-IMG_0501.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Ya, we only get 1 buck tag too. That creates a struggle on a deer like this!

No pics of anything bigger than what's already on the wall, which tips the scales somewhat in favor of trying to put an arrow in him. But, it's early and the rut could bring a monster any given day.

Suppose I'll just hunt and enjoy the scenery!

1699652230751.png

I say that but I never shoot deer.. I would if one in that age class walked by though!

I’d shoot on sight. I’ve only had roamer show up after gun season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone's circumstance Is different, but I'd shoot that buck out the window of the truck or anyway I could. Plenty old. He could get bigger and still not be big. Could also stick an antler thru one of the ones you like. Dead deer walking for me.

He could get bigger and still not be big.
Man, that's sums it up perfectly.

Probably won't see him again all season! Lol

The last pictured buck looks to have some serious potential.
I agree. What's the details on that buck Cat? With only 1 buck tag I'd probably do a little hunting and then maybe you can take him out later in the season. Risk reward.

In all seriousness, my take would be if you would be proud of taking him take him ,if not leave him alone. They deserve at least that from us.

Rifle season if you don’t get a chance at something better first. He’s a big buck for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk