Deer business wars?

Thanks, Bill! This forum has been a continuous stream of information that has allowed me to hone in my own management style. Much appreciated.

Very true Swamp. Lots of stuff been done and later "discovered" by others again. Sure they probably did just try it on their own without reading about it first but dont get cocky and all cause somebody else probably did it prior but maybe for different reasons even.

Does help if you describe with a catchy phrase though. Case in point, throw and mow, spray and pray, etc. First read about the basic method on a regional forum (ok Michigan Sportsman) about 2000 or 2001. But the guy described it as "only spot I got to plot is on a steep hill and gonna erode like a bitch if I disc so just gonna spray, kill stuff and throw out seed and see what happens". Was fairly successful too. But much too long a description and coming up with a word that rhymes with erode was maybe too hard so others get to be the "pioneers"

No doubt some have done a very nice job of recording ongoing results but best to remind ourselves lotta smart folks out there across our big nation.
Cattlemen here have been using throw n mow for eons. If you want winter pasture down here in the south, you plant in fall. You cant disk the pasture because you dont want to kill your native grass and it will soften the ground making a mess out of it when you turn the cows into it. You basically have two choices - drill it or throw n mow. Most cattlemen dont own a grain drill - so most cattlemen spread wheat and fertilizer on their pastures - Oct around here - then mow them fairly short. They were doing his before 1980 - that is when I first noticed it. But, I guess since it was cattlemen - it doesnt count.

Cattlemen here have been using throw n mow for eons. If you want winter pasture down here in the south, you plant in fall. You cant disk the pasture because you dont want to kill your native grass and it will soften the ground making a mess out of it when you turn the cows into it. You basically have two choices - drill it or throw n mow. Most cattlemen dont own a grain drill - so most cattlemen spread wheat and fertilizer on their pastures - Oct around here - then mow them fairly short. They were doing his before 1980 - that is when I first noticed it. But, I guess since it was cattlemen - it doesnt count.
Let's not forget about the Three Sisters method practiced by the indigenous people of the Americas and the whole regen movement:

"Agronomist Jane Mt. Pleasant writes that the Three Sisters mound system 'enhances the soil physical and biochemical environment, minimizes soil erosion, improves soil tilth, manages plant population and spacing, provides for plant nutrients in appropriate quantities, and at the time needed, and controls weeds'."

Sound familiar?

Well boys tell you what.. I’ve been doing this iron method invented back in the 1700s and let me tell you, it does the trick. Really helps with weeds.. But I can’t claim to be the originator:

Early 1700s​

In the early 1700s, Jethro Tull of England also proposed that plants consumed the small, pulverized power of the earth.

Mr. Tull had a wide influence on agriculture across the world because he was the inventor of the cultivator.

Well boys tell you what.. I’ve been doing this iron method invented back in the 1700s and let me tell you, it does the trick. Really helps with weeds.. But I can’t claim to be the originator:

Early 1700s​

In the early 1700s, Jethro Tull of England also proposed that plants consumed the small, pulverized power of the earth.

Mr. Tull had a wide influence on agriculture across the world because he was the inventor of the cultivator.

I'm not familiar with the "iron method", can you explain?

I find Iron disrupts most weeds unless you disc deep until they are all gone. At that point you are introducing a lot of O2. As the increased O2 increases OM burn the need for adding fertilizer increases. In addition, you've just moved a lot of weed seed into the germination layer. A herbicide kill (although they have their own issues) kills the plant down to the roots without bringing up more weed seed and without introducing O2.

I think SwampCat's comment about cattlemen relates well to deer managers. While the specific crop and nutritional needs for deer are different than cattle, the concept is the same. T&M keeps soil disturbance light, cattle eat the plants but defecate back into the plot, and the nutrients mostly recycle. There are some differences though. With fencing and rotation of cattle, they can control grazing in terms of how much and when. They are extracting a larger amount of nutrients by harvesting cattle at a higher rate per acre than we do deer. But even with the higher extraction, a well managed pasture rarely needs fertilized as long as the number of cattle per acre doesn't get too high.

Thanks,

Jack

One of my favorite soil guys is Dwayne Beck. He's got a saying that has stuck with me for a long time.

"If tillage got rid of weeds, there'd be no weeds."

I added my own to that as well:

"If spraying got rid of weeds, there'd be no weeds."

One of my favorite soil guys is Dwayne Beck. He's got a saying that has stuck with me for a long time.

"If tillage got rid of weeds, there'd be no weeds."

I added my own to that as well:

"If spraying got rid of weeds, there'd be no weeds."
Yep, I think a better term for all techniques is "disadvantage weeds".

Yep, I think a better term for all techniques is "disadvantage weeds".
But, if you're trying to grow clover, wouldn't it be "give one weed the advantage"? I'd like to see the statistics on money spent trying to get rid of clover vs growing clover.

Weed seed blows in from all the pastures, crp plots, fence rows, organic farms and food plots. If you run just 1 large waterhemp plant thru your combine then good luck imagining where all those hundreds of thousands of seeds blow to and are carried in the machine to. Our gov't spreads weed seed all over the countryside on the decks of their mowers. There's fantasy and then there's reality.

But, if you're trying to grow clover, wouldn't it be "give one weed the advantage"? I'd like to see the statistics on money spent trying to get rid of clover vs growing clover.
Depends on your definition of "weed". The one I like best is "A plant growing where you don't want it". A weed to a farmer is anything he didn't plant. A weed for a deer manager is a plant that has marginal value for deer that is taking resources from a plant that is highly beneficial to deer.

That is one of the issues with herbicides in general. You are advantaging some plants over others. Sometimes, you select a herbicide that advantages your crop, but also advantages some non-crop plants over others. Repeated use can cause you to end up with a less than healthy and beneficial mix of native plants in your plot.

Thanks,

Jack

A weed for a deer manager is a plant that has marginal value for deer that is taking resources from a plant that is highly beneficial to deer.
And sometimes the deer manager doesn't know that the "weed" he is trying to get rid of that he sees as having a "marginal value" is actually more beneficial.

And sometimes the deer manager doesn't know that the "weed" he is trying to get rid of that he sees as having a "marginal value" is actually more beneficial.
I think that is key. It is a weakness of mine. I need to better be able to identify and classify "weeds" to determine if they are weeds for me. My general approach is to be weed tolerant, especially in cool season perennials like clover. From afar, one would think my clover fields are just abandon weed fields during the summer. What I'm looking for at this point is a healthy mix of weeds where I don't have one noxious weed dominating. Those weeds don't bother deer at all and some are beneficial. They help shade the clover and some even provide a little concealment for deer. I mow before the season when the cool nights an rain benefit the clover. Most of those summer annual weeds also take up space resources from cool season grasses. The clover bounces back and dominates the plot soon after fall mowing.

Thanks,

Jack

Weed seed blows in from all the pastures, crp plots, fence rows, organic farms and food plots. If you run just 1 large waterhemp plant thru your combine then good luck imagining where all those hundreds of thousands of seeds blow to and are carried in the machine to. Our gov't spreads weed seed all over the countryside on the decks of their mowers. There's fantasy and then there's reality.

Yep! Weed & grass seeds also brought in by deer.

Yep! Weed & grass seeds also brought in by deer.
How many guys actually clean their bushhog after mowing a field before moving to the next. Lots of sources to get weed seed into a field. Most seed won't germinate and grow until it gets into that right layer of the soil. "Weeds" are not something we eliminate, they are something we manage (for the better or worse).

soil science, soil regeneration and the various tactics methodologies and outcomes from such. Please let me know if any of the experts or corporations can help me with that .
Who has time for that!?! ;)

All plants have value or they wouldn't be there. One that might not be preferred by deer might be bringing minerals to the surface, or having a symbiotic relationship with fungus that's unlocking minerals that are lacking. There are often suitable replacements but to be successful they have to perform the tasks the weeds were doing or else there will be a never ending cycle of winner/loser.