Deer business wars?

In spite of having farm machinery, every food plot I've ever put in has been throw and grow. Never tilled a single square foot. Our tools are too big to get into my plots so it makes it an easy decision, lol. Using a mower, a utv sprayer, a herd spreader, and a bag spreader has been getting the job done. I don't mind guys who crimp or flail mow or anything else, I'm just using what I already have and don't feel like blowing more money. I read the soil health / kiko goat guys too so it's all good. As I've said in the past, we have the dnr snipers half a mile away, so my goal on several of my plots is absolutely the best stand of turnips I can get. I don't care about 17 plant blends or having green roots 365 days a year for this mission. I need the turnips for the winter battle.

Mine is the no til guys trashing the tillage crowd in the name of soil health. ...Right before they go blanket spray acres of their fields with Roundup.

Or dropping $5,000 for a roller crimper, and then proceed to spray everything after using it...

The list goes on.

In all seriousness, I enjoy all perspectives. But find myself visiting this forum less and less..
Keep trying and you’ll get there!

Yep

We got it made in east texas

Fire ants,feral hogs, goat weed , and none of that damn rain

bill
You forgot many balmy soothing weeks above a 100 degs.....I lived in northeast texas for a spell. Had to take up night fishing during the summer as this transplanted yankee could not take the heat!

I'm kind of limited with what I can do. I have two plots in the woods. If I tried to disk or till them I'd be left with nothing but a plot full of rocks. My goal there is to build up the soil profile. My yard plot I've tried to till twice. The first time I went way too deep and it was really wet when I did it and it turned into a muddy mess. The second time I only wanted to scratch the surface and got half way through the plot and I had a belt brake so the tiller has been sitting since.

I say do what works for you. There is something satisfying about a nice disked and drug field. Me I throw some seed down and if it doesn't grow I just throw some more down until something grows. I know that I'll get rye to grow if everything else fails. That is one thing I learned from Sturges. His layered Rye plot. Throw down rye seed, then 2 weeks later throw some more and 2 weeks after that throw some more down.

I wish I had the time to read all of this and respond to some of the posts. Time!! Time is a huge factor for me. Trying to keep my business afloat during a huge uptic in business, supply shortages and extremely under staffed. For ME, The TNM and now with the crimper I built TNC is a Godsend. I am not going to say it is better it is just a different way to do it and for me it saves a ton of time.

My new plotting strategy for the near future is going to be a modified LC mix. Plot split down the middle and do a cereal/brassica rotation. No tilling needed and with the crimper and these seed choices, no chemicals needed (except for this fall I hope)

I plan on spraying 8/1 the portion of my plot that is going into brassica. I will spread a mix of ptt , radish, and medium red clover about 8/10 depending on the rain. On 9/1 or so I will be seeding the entire plot with awnless winter triticale and MRC on the portion that didn't get it in August. Next Mem. Day weekend I will broadcast a heavy dose of buckwheat and walk away until August.

This process will repeat for the next several years as I just aren't going to have the time it takes to do much else. I will never criticize someone for tilling ( I could give two shits what anyone choses to do on THEIR ground) I do believe in encouraging soil health through every means possible. However, that's just me .

My uncle will do the tillage in the other plots we have and I will spray the living shit out of them a few weeks after planting the corn, beans, and sugar beets. Both systems grow food and feed deer.

I have very few posts on here and don't visit as much as I would like. I joined after the demise of the QDMA forum, but have sporadically been on the site. I do enjoy the content, the input, viewpoints, etc. It it is, and continues to be, a wonderful site. I had to move away for 8 years from my piece of paradise in Eastern Kansas and just made it back. During that time, I spent most of my time on this forum reading the trail camera thread and trying new ways to keep up with my property.

I do food plots, native habitat and have some production ag on my place. I have used a lot from this site and others to improve all. I am ever evolving and love to get input from people all over the country (both my habitat and production ag). When I have time, I still enjoy watching various land managers, whitetail enthusiasts and other sources on the Internet. I have tried a number of methods on my farm and continue to try more. This fall, I will have cover crops flown in for the first time on my production ag. The weather cycle has had my soybeans go in late the last few years with little to no time to plant a winter crop (whether winter wheat or cover crops). This past year, my beans were off in mid-November. I broadcast some cereal rye on the areas erosion is a concern. I thought it was a complete failure as I saw no growth until this spring. Well, the rye came up and did its job. I have had cover crop failures in the past due to lack of rain at the critical points in the fall, but will continue to try new seed mixes and method of plantings as the soil health is my top concern.

For my food plots, I have done traditional (Iron) ag, some no-till, throw/mow, and others. In the last few years with my limited time there during the growing season, spray and throw has been my main means of food plots. I held onto my disc for a number of years after using it last, but gave it away this spring to a gardener. I have spent more time on timber stand improvement, tree plantings and native grasses then anything else, but food has definitely become my limiting resource. When my beans are off the fields, the quality browse for the winter just isn't what it needs to be. The cover crops will help with that, but I am expanding my food plots for when the cover crops either fail or don't produce the tonnage needed during the winter months.

I too listen to a lot of podcasts, youtube channels, webinars, seminars, etc. on both whitetail habitat and soil improvement. I am always looking to improve as I know you all are. This thread reminded me of a person from the QDMA forum who provided me a lot of assistance back then and I haven't reached out to them in years. I haven't seen them on here, but this was the incentive I needed to reconnect with them.

I guess this post was a long-winded way of thanking you all for your insights, experiences and helping me stay connected while in the desert (literally).

Thanks!

I wish I had the time to read all of this and respond to some of the posts. Time!! Time is a huge factor for me. Trying to keep my business afloat during a huge uptic in business, supply shortages and extremely under staffed. For ME, The TNM and now with the crimper I built TNC is a Godsend. I am not going to say it is better it is just a different way to do it and for me it saves a ton of time.

My new plotting strategy for the near future is going to be a modified LC mix. Plot split down the middle and do a cereal/brassica rotation. No tilling needed and with the crimper and these seed choices, no chemicals needed (except for this fall I hope)

I plan on spraying 8/1 the portion of my plot that is going into brassica. I will spread a mix of ptt , radish, and medium red clover about 8/10 depending on the rain. On 9/1 or so I will be seeding the entire plot with awnless winter triticale and MRC on the portion that didn't get it in August. Next Mem. Day weekend I will broadcast a heavy dose of buckwheat and walk away until August.

This process will repeat for the next several years as I just aren't going to have the time it takes to do much else. I will never criticize someone for tilling ( I could give two shits what anyone choses to do on THEIR ground) I do believe in encouraging soil health through every means possible. However, that's just me .

My uncle will do the tillage in the other plots we have and I will spray the living shit out of them a few weeks after planting the corn, beans, and sugar beets. Both systems grow food and feed deer.
ST - what varieties of awnless triticale are you using?

I’ve been researching awnless varieties of wheat and triticale. Do deer really like it the following spring/summer? it looks like they could really feed some deer in the summer after being planted. Put that together with a mix of clover and you might have as close to a year round food plot as it gets.

I’ve got awnless wheat in my new perennial plot right now. The deer have one more week to take some of it, or it’s going back to the earth.

a3e33eb63b37770ecd1035e85234ab7f.jpg

There’s a really good sampling of flax out there ready to go too. Almost a shame to mow this off, but it’s time to go.

49c79bdeba0c9dd1eb3d7c4a9f678a14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got awnless wheat in my new perennial plot right now. The deer have one more week to take some of it, or it’s going back to the earth.

a3e33eb63b37770ecd1035e85234ab7f.jpg

There’s a really good sampling of flax out there ready to go too. Almost a shame to mow this off, but it’s time to go.

49c79bdeba0c9dd1eb3d7c4a9f678a14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD - how was your deer usage in that plot? Did you see a lot of browse pressure on the awnless wheat? Did that awnless varieties over winter ok?

I just thought about something - most of the info I read where the deer loved the awnless wheat was down south (where they might not have much food during the summer time when those awns are ripe and ready.

In my region (North Central NY) there seems to be plenty of browse in the summer - but those awnless varieties might get them coming in earlier?

SD - how was your deer usage in that plot? Did you see a lot of browse pressure on the awnless wheat? Did that awnless varieties over winter ok?

I just thought about something - most of the info I read where the deer loved the awnless wheat was down south (where they might not have much food during the summer time when those awns are ripe and ready.

In my region (North Central NY) there seems to be plenty of browse in the summer - but those awnless varieties might get them coming in earlier?
Fall usage is always good. The deer on my place will eat everything to some extent as long as it's not under snow. My food tonnage has been coming up, so I'm starting to get the point where I have food left over once the snow flies. Summer usage of the wheat really isn't there yet. In all reality, it's not a big deal for me. I've got enough food to feed 10x the deer in my neighborhood this time of year between browse and plots. Still, I'm a sucker for a stand of awnless cereals towering over my perennials. I do however reserve the right to be wrong. I'm holding out hope that they come and take those seed heads before I mow in ten days.

The real crop for me this time of year is the straw for T&M mulch, the carbon to keep the clover healthy, and the grass to prevent more grass. Awnless wheat overwinters just fine in my area, and I don't think anyone is closer to the center pole than me. That being said, my winter cereals also get a few feet of snow on them pretty early in the winter to protect them from the coldest temps.

As far as pulling deer in earlier or more reliably in the fall, I think the key isn't in the winter cereals, it's in fall planted spring forage cereals. There's a ton of neat stuff going on in improved forage cereals, but it takes some belief in the traits and the ability to grow it to the right point to make it so. That's where that Surge comes in. I'm aiming to hit a zone in it's growth cycle of at least 30" tall and if it goes to seed, it doesn't exceed soft dough before the cold weather stops it from growing any further. I've been on a mission for years to find the perfect forage for December hunting in northern MN.

I'm embarrassed to ask about the drama but i'm curious.. On the Chasing Giants podcast the last couple weeks they've spent a lot of time discussing someone in the industry saying unbecoming things about Don on his social media. Anyone know the scoop about the who's and what's were said?

Yep

We got it made in east texas

Fire ants,feral hogs, goat weed , and none of that damn rain

bill

No snakes? You gotta have some crazy snakes to round out your paradise!

I have always wondered why Round up ready alfalfa ain’t used more.

I've never noticed a ton of browsing of chicory at any of our places. Clover, on the other hand. I have one plot that had some chicory in the mix. I've mowed it but haven't sprayed it yet. Want to get a soil test this weekend to see if I need to do anything next year to it other than mow.

View attachment 44478
What do you spray on clover?

why do you spray clover?

Thanks

What do you spray on clover?

why do you spray clover?

Thanks
I bought some Imox to spray on clover but haven’t yet. I’ll probably wait til next spring to try that. Mowing is doing fine for now but I don’t like weeds. I have several clover plots. Some are better than others regarding weeds.

I bought some Imox to spray on clover but haven’t yet. I’ll probably wait til next spring to try that. Mowing is doing fine for now but I don’t like weeds. I have several clover plots. Some are better than others regarding weeds.
You may not like 'em but the deer sure love many of them.