Deer business wars?

next door ag field has had no telling how many tons of herbicide sprayed on it over the past 30 years. It is a weedy mess after two months with no treatment

Well boys tell you what.. I’ve been doing this iron method invented back in the 1700s and let me tell you, it does the trick. Really helps with weeds.. But I can’t claim to be the originator:

Early 1700s​

In the early 1700s, Jethro Tull of England also proposed that plants consumed the small, pulverized power of the earth.

Mr. Tull had a wide influence on agriculture across the world because he was the inventor of the cultivator.
..........and the Aqualung

bill

How many guys actually clean their bushhog after mowing a field before moving to the next. Lots of sources to get weed seed into a field. Most seed won't germinate and grow until it gets into that right layer of the soil. "Weeds" are not something we eliminate, they are something we manage (for the better or worse).

I clean mine off.

As you say, a lot has been seen before and is not new.

How many on this thread were around during the QDMA forum days? I read and tried some things back then, but finally realized that what works in the south often doesn’t work here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i stumbled across that forum in 2014

i miss a lot of the "characters" that would "bring it" and were summarily banned over time

bill

All plants have value or they wouldn't be there. One that might not be preferred by deer might be bringing minerals to the surface, or having a symbiotic relationship with fungus that's unlocking minerals that are lacking. There are often suitable replacements but to be successful they have to perform the tasks the weeds were doing or else there will be a never ending cycle of winner/loser.
You're right, but we are managing for deer. There is huge differential between how much benefit each plant has to deer or any specific species. When we manage for one or a few species, we are bending nature to favor them. Marestail is a good example of what your are talking about. It is a noxious weed with no real direct value to deer. However, in some old compacted logging decks where very few weeds would grow, marestail seemed to be the first weed that grew there and as any plant dies, the root system becomes OM. If I had done nothing, eventually, probably after I'm dead, that compacted logging deck would have eventually been reclaimed by nature and marestail would have been an early contributor.

Thanks,

Jack

So you really miss "characters" like Duffy? I can think of another name and it sounds like Rufus.

As you say, a lot has been seen before and is not new.

How many on this thread were around during the QDMA forum days? I read and tried some things back then, but finally realized that what works in the south often doesn’t work here.

I was actively involved back then. Bill has it right here by not allowing advertiser's or pimping products here.

That's when the QDMA forum went haywire. The folks pimping products often got their ideas from many of us posting there. The advertisers also got cranky when folks challenged their ideas and they would complain to mgmt. Things became one long argument with the bullies', idiots, & trolls.

Now the forum is shut down, and QDM plucks info from here to create their articles.

I was actively involved back then. Bill has it right here by not allowing advertiser's or pimping products here.

That's when the QDMA forum went haywire. The folks pimping products often got their ideas from many of us posting there. The advertisers also got cranky when folks challenged their ideas and they would complain to mgmt. Things became one long argument with the bullies', idiots, & trolls.

Now the forum is shut down, and QDM plucks info from here to create their articles.

After belonging to QDMA for years, I dropped my membership about the time the forum closed down. I haven’t read much if any of their articles since.

What happened to BSK?
Bryan Kinkle? Fella from TN that used to work for/with Grant Woods. No clue. Or maybe BSK was someone else.

Bryan Kinkle? Fella from TN that used to work for/with Grant Woods. No clue. Or maybe BSK was someone else.
Yeah, that's him. He had some pretty good info. He may have been earlier in the QDMA forum years. I don't know. I dropped out of participating there a couple of years before the blowup I think.

So you really miss "characters" like Duffy? I can think of another name and it sounds like Rufus.

Duffy ... what a dufus. He did track a deer for 4 miles over 4 days and knows he killed it ... 😆

After belonging to QDMA for years, I dropped my membership about the time the forum closed down. I haven’t read much if any of their articles since.

DItto!

My favorite dig at anyone not drinking their brand of kool aid is the one pointed at the regenerative guys. Those guys are a threat to everyone because they don't buy hardly anything at all.

Mine is the no til guys trashing the tillage crowd in the name of soil health. ...Right before they go blanket spray acres of their fields with Roundup.

Or dropping $5,000 for a roller crimper, and then proceed to spray everything after using it...

The list goes on.

In all seriousness, I enjoy all perspectives. But find myself visiting this forum less and less..

Mine is the no til guys trashing the tillage crowd in the name of soil health. ...Right before they go blanket spray acres of their fields with Roundup.

Or dropping $5,000 for a roller crimper, and then proceed to spray everything after using it...

The list goes on.

In all seriousness, I enjoy all perspectives. But find myself visiting this forum less and less..

Not sure where you see that. There are times and places tillage is needed. There are soils that can handle the tillage abuse much better than marginal soils. Both deep and frequent tillage and herbicides both have their downsides. Much depends on objectives. Short-term success can be had with traditional tillage and short-term is longer in better soil. High intensity no-till seems to work well for most farmers these days where profit is an objective. Low intensity min-till/no-till works well for those with long-term deer management objectives.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Maybe I don't watch enough youtube, but on this forum, at least, what I see is guys advocating and sharing approaches that work for them rather than trashing folks with different objectives and approaches. Perhaps in the industry it is different. I don't pay attention to much of that.

Thanks,

Jack

Duffy ... what a dufus. He did track a deer for 4 miles over 4 days and knows he killed it ...

He was good for a laugh. I did enjoy him getting owned a couple of times.

The list goes on.

Spot on as many on here get on their soapbox about soil health and you unwashed heathen still getting out and discing while the very next sentence is nonchalantly talking about spraying liquid death all the time to make no till work. A bit of balance at times please as using both in moderation or maybe doing neither for several yrs can be used to meet the many objectives of land ownership, not just soil health. If soil health is your number 1 goal, just pay your taxes and stay the hell off your land for the rest of your life and prevent other humans from intruding EVER. Most of us arent so altruistic and have other competing objectives that mean that we do have impacts.

Hats off to Baker as I think he is serious about limiting chemical warfare and working on different systems.

Last edited:
I do both throw and mow and tillage. Just depends on where I can get certain equipment. Many ways to skin the cat. One isn’t more right than the other. Do what works for you and don’t worry about what anyone thinks.