dealing with giant ragweed and waterhemp

Nova

5 year old buck +
The last 3 years at the farm I have been dealing with giant ragweed and waterhemp in my plots. I now have them at home in those plots also. Most of you probably know these are gly resistant weeds. I am considering using Drexel Foma 1.88 herbicide(generic flexstar) from Rural King next spring. You can use it as a pre emergent or post emergent and it can be used with gly. Has anyone tried this on these type of weeds? I am going to be using it in soy beans plots. I am no expert with chemicals, but I have been doing some research and this seems like a decent solution.

The farmers around me have using some kind of cocktail for a few years now. I don't know what it is though.
But even that is starting to be less effective. I may go with Liberty link beans next year.

I had one field that just got out of control so I rotated to clover and keep it mowed so the hemp can't make seed.

Oh and I've hit the clover with 24DB butyrac which will kill the gly resistant stuff. (For now)

Not that this answers your question but I was told by my local coop that water hemp seed is only viable for 2 years so if you can knock it out for a few years you will be ahead of it for a while.

Willy,
it may not answer the rag weed part but I had no clue the water hemp seed was so short lived. A few years of clover and 24db may cut the population in a particular field if this is the case.

The last 3 years at the farm I have been dealing with giant ragweed and waterhemp in my plots. I now have them at home in those plots also. Most of you probably know these are gly resistant weeds. I am considering using Drexel Foma 1.88 herbicide(generic flexstar) from Rural King next spring. You can use it as a pre emergent or post emergent and it can be used with gly. Has anyone tried this on these type of weeds? I am going to be using it in soy beans plots. I am no expert with chemicals, but I have been doing some research and this seems like a decent solution.

Don't bother with flexstar or Cobra by them selves.

Switching to liberty link soybeans and putting down a pre-emergent herbicide like Authority Assist, Prowl, or Sonic have proven to be effective on those weeds. Then your second pass can be Liberty herbicide, and or mixed with another post emergent herbicide. The key to killing those two weeds is 2" or less. Anytime you let them get past that height, you are doomed!

Edit: And none of this is cheap to use, so most food plotters, being cheap in nature, won't use this program. They will just abandon there plots because the weeds will be so thick nothing else will grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother with flexstar or Cobra by them selves.

Switching to liberty link soybeans and putting down a pre-emergent herbicide like Authority Assist, Prowl, or Sonic have proven to be effective on those weeds. Then your second pass can be Liberty herbicide, and or mixed with another post emergent herbicide. The key to killing those two weeds is 2" or less. Anytime you let them get past that height, you are doomed!

Edit: And none of this is cheap to use, so most food plotters, being cheap in nature, won't use this program. They will just abandon there plots because the weeds will be so thick nothing else will grow.

The problem is I get RR beans for $10/50lb bag. And yes food plotters like me are cheap so paying the extra $$$ for liberty beans is going to hammer the budget. That is why I was going to use the flexstar with gly. Are you saying flexstar with gly won't terminate the weeds?

Not that this answers your question but I was told by my local coop that water hemp seed is only viable for 2 years so if you can knock it out for a few years you will be ahead of it for a while.

Not a complete answer but for sure some great info. If all I have to do is control the waterhemp for 2 years and I am good for a while, that is outstanding!! Thanks for the info.

The problem is I get RR beans for $10/50lb bag. And yes food plotters like me are cheap so paying the extra $$$ for liberty beans is going to hammer the budget. That is why I was going to use the flexstar with gly. Are you saying flexstar with gly won't terminate the weeds?

$10 roundup Beans.........Bahahahahahahaha! They could pay you a $100 to take them and you would still be screwed.

Flexstar will smoke your beans as will cobra or anything else over the top because they are burners. They will set back your beans for weeks allowing the waterhemp to really take off. Plus it will do little to nothing on the waterhemp if it is over 2" tall. And since it grows 2" per day. You will miss your chance to get it killed because you are at home.

As with most food plotters with your two weeds, don't listen and be miserable from here on out!

I know from personal experience grasshopper! LOL!

What if I use it as a pre emergent? I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want the info and wasn't going to listen.

Its no joke, this is 3 years of roundup beans, picture is from a hour ago. Yes there are soybeans planted in this field! It was sprayed with 64 oz roundup mixed with 8 oz of cobra on the first pass Fomasafen (flestar) on the second pass. looks like nothing was sprayed! This is what your filed will look like in 2 years if you continue to use roundup beans. The picture below is the same food plot from last year. These weeds in the area of Missouri are nothing to mess with, and they are heading north. We will try one more year of Liberty link beans with Authority Assist as a pre, Liberty as the post herbicide. If that does not work we will switch back to corn, and use Acuron herbicide at $40 per acre to get them cleaned up. Good Luck!DSCN0985.JPG DSCN0763.JPG

What if I use it as a pre emergent? I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want the info and wasn't going to listen.

You can use a pre, but you have no recourse other than Liberty to kill these weeds when they escape the pre, and emerge. Liberty will not harm your beans as burners will. And liberty is 95% effective right now on Waterhemp and Giant ragweed!

Pretty soon Roundup beans will be damn near free as roundup is becoming useless in a lot of areas. Not trying to piss in anyones wheaties, but its just the facts!

I appreciate the help!!