AWP and Winter Wheat

Looks like you're gonna have some food this fall!

I'm headed out to the farm wednesday. Hopefully things have sprouted. I think you did a better job of killing everything off than I did.

Reactions: Rit
388F9732-9C5E-4C4F-87CC-4D44D521371C.jpeg77948082-F364-4364-B02C-58C5ED89C1ED.jpeg192B277F-866B-4D09-9337-C700B758F0D9.jpeg01A43305-F457-44DF-9257-4161F8B92756.jpeg

It has been a difficult food plot year for me. It has rained 2 times since June and when it did the ground sucked it right up almost like it never rained. I killed off a good stand of clover to plant buckwheat. That didn’t go well. I then killed off some weeds, clover, and sparse buckwheat to late plant Sunn Hemp, buckwheat, sunflowers, radish, soybeans, and winter peas. The plan was to come back over Labor Day and broadcast winter grains. I had very good early germination but lack of sustained moisture took its toll. I broadcast 100 lbs of WR and WW per acre Labor Day weekend and I can’t find 30 of either plant. It mostly made for good bird food.

I have some winter peas barely hanging on. The deer smashed the soybeans as soon as they came up. They have nipped off all the sunn hemp. They didn’t do much with the sunflowers initially but now they are hammering any of them left. I have never had luck with deer eating radish but to my surprise this year they are eating all of the tops. I cannot find a radish without browse pressure. They have even pulled some up already and ate the tuber. I have 100 lbs of WR left just in case we get a rain I am going to broadcast again.

I'm going to guess you have a poor acorn crop?

I'm going to guess you have a poor acorn crop?
It’s not a bumper crop but I do have acorns. Some trees are producing smaller nuts this year. I have 200 mature oaks on my property I have yet to see a poor crop. I’d say it’s a little less than usual but I often find rotting acorns the next Spring.