Clover - Best variety and how to plant

Brantley and Jordon or Smiths?

My wife is a Registered Vet Tech.

Time has not made our summers any less miserable. The past 2 were not too bad but this one has been rough. I long for fall and winter.
The Perry Animal hospital was owned by JR Jerome Bloodworth, and that's where I worked. I knew Felix Smith in school. Lived in the Colonial Motor Inn next to the DQ, where the twins June and Jean Jarrell worked, and paid 35 bucks a week to live there :-). !979 was a fun year!

When we converted +/- 80% of our plots to clover, we sprayed, then cut, then sprayed again, tilled when we were ready to plant. Broadcast wrens abruzzi rye, cultipacked, broadcast Durana and a medium red, then packed again. The process was started in mid August and we planted in early October in Morgan county zone 8A. Our Durana has never gone dormant that we could tell. One spraying the first year with cleth and 24db, then we cut at 10" once or twice per year there after. An alternate option would be to use a weed wipe at 10" but our weeds have not been bad except one plot. We do broadcast WAR each fall to help with weed suppression and add more medium red every third year. One of our plots had crimson planted several years prior and it comes back thick every year. I am not a fan other then the OM it is providing.

Overall, it has been much cheaper to plant the Durana and the maintenance has not been bad at all compared to planting every fall. But then again, we do not have a no-till drill, so we do not have that as an option right now.
What is WAR? Are you broadcasting this into your durana plots?

When we converted +/- 80% of our plots to clover, we sprayed, then cut, then sprayed again, tilled when we were ready to plant. Broadcast wrens abruzzi rye, cultipacked, broadcast Durana and a medium red, then packed again. The process was started in mid August and we planted in early October in Morgan county zone 8A. Our Durana has never gone dormant that we could tell. One spraying the first year with cleth and 24db, then we cut at 10" once or twice per year there after. An alternate option would be to use a weed wipe at 10" but our weeds have not been bad except one plot. We do broadcast WAR each fall to help with weed suppression and add more medium red every third year. One of our plots had crimson planted several years prior and it comes back thick every year. I am not a fan other then the OM it is providing.

Overall, it has been much cheaper to plant the Durana and the maintenance has not been bad at all compared to planting every fall. But then again, we do not have a no-till drill, so we do not have that as an option right now.
And with general weed tolerance, it is less expensive and just as effective for deer.

Opinions please ........
Would Durana be a good choice for northern Pa. ?? I know some clovers are bred for warmer or colder climates. On its face, Durana seems to be an economical, long-tern plot variety. Don't know about its temp. preferences. Anyone grow Durana north of Maryland??

Opinions please ........
Would Durana be a good choice for northern Pa. ?? I know some clovers are bred for warmer or colder climates. On its face, Durana seems to be an economical, long-tern plot variety. Don't know about its temp. preferences. Anyone grow Durana north of Maryland??
I think patriot, made by same company, is supposed to be for more northern climates

Opinions please ........
I think it would be fine. Patriot does not have the persistence or drought tolerance but it is faster to establish. I don't think there is any particular cold issue with it. I'd try a small plot and see how you like it.

I have planted Durana a few miles east and maybe a little south of you...it was very persistent (but I think it was from reseeding) but it did not do well in the winter (kinda went dormant)...was a good clover for summer though as it last quite well into the hotter months..

The Perry Animal hospital was owned by JR Jerome Bloodworth, and that's where I worked. I knew Felix Smith in school. Lived in the Colonial Motor Inn next to the DQ, where the twins June and Jean Jarrell worked, and paid 35 bucks a week to live there :-). !979 was a fun year!
You old rascal!😂

You wouldn’t want to stay in that motel now. Pretty sure Felix and all of the other vets in town sold out to some corporation.

What is WAR? Are you broadcasting this into your durana plots?
What Omicron said - wrens abruzzi rye. We are broadcasting it in early October, would drill if we had one. If the clover isn't lip high due to grazing, we cut it lower to allow the rye to germinate.