Damn Bears

Yes, the bears do seem to cause more damage in the spring when they first come out of hibernation, but it certainly isn't limited to spring.

We lost so many bird feeders to bears that we finally just stopped feeding the birds. It gets expensive buying new feeders every year or two.

IMG_2186.JPG

I got this bear on camera breaking down this tree. He came in, broke it down and was gone within about 90 seconds. This was in June. I had 5 years invested in the Honey Crisp tree and he completely destroyed it in 90 seconds.
IMG_3208.jpg

Same night - he only took a couple of branches off of this 5 year old tree.
IMG_3212.jpg

Another nice apple tree that I had recently removed the cage from....my bad - although the cage would not have prevented a bear from doing this.
IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_1309.JPG

The bears even chew up my Impresso Tags after they trash my trees....it must be their signature mark??
IMG_1307.JPG

This is one of only 3 apple trees I have left in this orchard where I originally planted 20 apple trees in 1995. Bears have destroyed all of the others and even some which have been planted to replace the original trees.
IMG_1935.jpg

This was a second or third replacement in the same orchard. It survived the first 2 or 3 bear attacks but eventually succumbed to the last thrashing. I am no longer planting any apple trees in that orchard - when they are gone, they are gone. I know when I am defeated.
IMG_4869.JPG

I could post more pictures of bear damage but they limit me to only 10 photos per post. Bears have damaged 15-20 year old Oak trees that I planted from seedlings. They climb up and break down the branches so they can eat the acorns while they are lying on the ground. They have broken into deer hunting blinds, broken up turkey feeders, chewed up nice water containers that we left near the orchard for watering young trees, etc, etc, etc. They are just plain destructive. I am really looking forward to getting one in my cross hairs in September when our bear season opens. Unfortunately, I will have to wait 7 or more years in order to draw another bear tag.

I have some like that as well. Then they go offline. You can usually find the cameras about 50 feet away, chewed up and broken.

I could post more pictures of bear damage but they limit me to only 10 photos per post. Bears have damaged 15-20 year old Oak trees that I planted from seedlings. They climb up and break down the branches so they can eat the acorns while they are lying on the ground. They have broken into deer hunting blinds, broken up turkey feeders, chewed up nice water containers that we left near the orchard for watering young trees, etc, etc, etc. They are just plain destructive. I am really looking forward to getting one in my cross hairs in September when our bear season opens.
Aren't bears fun??? They destroy / chew on / break anything they come in contact with. Damage to many things around our camp and neighboring camps. The last bears I had within EASY bow range here were the 2 years BEFORE Pa. established some days in early archery season to take bears with a bow. One was at the base of my ladder stand - touching the ladder!!! Rifle bear season - we don't see 'em.

I'd be happy if all bears moved to northern Canada & didn't return. I'm liking the "Alaska method" of boards with nails in them - we just need lots of wood & nails.

Sorry to see & hear of the damage you guys are suffering.

I had them tear the wood siding off a cabin we owned boarding the national forest many years ago and I had a lot of trouble with them eating all my deer bait on that particular 40 acres with some regularity. I never did plant any fruit trees on that place probably better for my sanity that I didn’t.

We had a cabin in northern Mn, the bear has broken windows, and climbed inside and destroyed the place, blood all over everything.

A bear tore the locked hinged lid off an outdoor chest freezer at a neighboring camp. The reason?? It smelled the empty plastic wrapper from a pack of hot dogs left from the previous hunting season - the ONLY thing in that freezer. The members of that camp told me of the incident. Wrecking balls in black fur coats.

This bear was showing me what he thought about my oak tree. I have another picture right after this one, of him scratching the bark off this tree. Luckily the tree survived, but it has some damage.

bear.jpg

This bear was showing me what he thought about my oak tree. I have another picture right after this one, of him scratching the bark off this tree. Luckily the tree survived, but it has some damage.

View attachment 44870
This coyote sent the same message to my wife about her ladder stand...

IMG_0090 (5).jpeg

We only get a couple through every year. Sometimes they get a bird feeder, but usually it's a tree tube knocked over with teeth marks in it like this past week.

Attachments

• 749.JPG
    749.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 13
Just had a family of them run through my orchard. I went out there and this little guy was playing in one of my trees. I will have to look it over in the morning for damage.
Damn destructive dicks!

DB93B79C-499D-41B3-A237-DF6D0AF55BF5.png

Nothing major, just a few small branches in one tree. Luckily when it jumped out of the tree it didn’t land in the tree cage. I didn’t see moma when I went back there, but I am sure she wasn’t far away. I didn’t hang out there last night to find her. I just wanted to scare them away and limit the damage.

Coons got one of my apple trees this year - almost as bad as some of the bear tree pictures here. We went on a five day fishing trip last week and when we got back, our two mature apple trees had been stripped of apples. They werent even near ripe - a granny smith and arkansas black. A lot of Folks down here in the south wouldnt stand for a bear tearing up an apple tree if they could see him doing it. I trapped and killed a bunch of coons in the last couple of months - but cant get them all

Coons got one of my apple trees this year - almost as bad as some of the bear tree pictures here. We went on a five day fishing trip last week and when we got back, our two mature apple trees had been stripped of apples. They werent even near ripe - a granny smith and arkansas black. A lot of Folks down here in the south wouldnt stand for a bear tearing up an apple tree if they could see him doing it. I trapped and killed a bunch of coons in the last couple of months - but cant get them all
Sorry to hear of your coon damage, SwampCat. It's always something with apple / crab trees.

I have a nice water hole on my property downhill from one of the main access trails so I’m able to get my tractor in there to fill it occasionally.

I just leave a 50’ x 3” swimming pool drain hose there, stretching from the trail to the hole.

It’s one of those cheap chines blue swimming pool drain hoses that absolutely reeks of “plastics smells”.

So last week when I hooked up the hose to my water buffalo, I saw that a bear had started on one end of the hose and bit holes in it every foot for the entire length!!! It’s a sprinkler hose now.

Why?😂😂😂

I think your theory should be elevated to a Law. 👍

I have about 60 or 70 wild apple trees on my farm and half of them are just LOADED this year….with some starting to ripen.

I also have multiple pics of a sow with 2 cubs, a lone juvenile and a giant boar.

My trees are gonna get a workout this year, I think.

Another good tree with 1/2 of if broken off by an ******* bear. Yet it takes about 12 years to get a bear tag. Way too many of these ******** in Wisconsin