Damn Bears

I never said anything about killing a bear ... stay focused here. A flash bang is no different than sticking a shotgun barrel out the door and shooting in the air to scare a bear away. Do you really think a Game Warden has time to deal with that? If Wardens were to pursue, they would need to arrest 1/3 of the county for after hours shooting.
my point was to say, pending how the device was set up and tripped
I can see very easily how a bear could BIT something making it go off, (bears tend to TASTE things with there mount its how they determine if they can eat NEW things) which could harm and injure it, and if you never seen an animal with a mount injury that lead to its death, ?? its not so pretty!
and honestly, YES< game wardens if called about late night shootings, can and DO all the time, investigate them, do they investigate ALL of them, NO< ,. most go un reported if were honest!,
but if they are called and one is reported, they will either investigate it or log it !
its there job to do so!

and I have to say, it seems like there are some TRUE sportsman here that have such poor value on big game animals, that so willing to KILL or? a bear ? just cause they feel they dis like BEARS! and view them as DICKS< or??
its shameful IMO,

my point was to say, pending how the device was set up and tripped
I can see very easily how a bear could BIT something making it go off, (bears tend to TASTE things with there mount its how they determine if they can eat NEW things) which could harm and injure it, and if you never seen an animal with a mount injury that lead to its death, ?? its not so pretty!
and honestly, YES< game wardens if called about late night shootings, can and DO all the time, investigate them, do they investigate ALL of them, NO< ,. most go un reported if were honest!,
but if they are called and one is reported, they will either investigate it or log it !
its there job to do so!

and I have to say, it seems like there are some TRUE sportsman here that have such poor value on big game animals, that so willing to KILL or? a bear ? just cause they feel they dis like BEARS! and view them as DICKS< or??
its shameful IMO,

So it's okay to kill a bear if it eats a farmers corn but not okay if it destroys your apple trees?

You seem to have a lot of moral flexibility ...

Has anyone tried concertina wire or coiled razor wire? I got back to my place after 3 years away, and my fruit trees were devastated. I need a more or less permanent solution to keep the animals off my trees.

So it's okay to kill a bear if it eats a farmers corn but not okay if it destroys your apple trees?

You seem to have a lot of moral flexibility ...
WOW< your just special
a farmers crops is there lively hood, your apple tree is not
do you really NOT see a difference!
and its not moral flexibility, its what is LEGAL and ethical

Ethics/opinions are like well you know what there like. Forum brawls help nobody.

So, racoon trap and kill when they are a nuisance and destroy stuff? Bear, they are just being bears?

Post #38, tlzkassen -
It would take LOADS of wood and kegs of nails for all our apple trees!!! Bears are a PITA. We used to plant corn at camp, too, but the bears always steam-rolled the entire fields when the corn was in the milk stage. We gave up on corn plots - too expensive between fertilizer and bear damage.

Funny thing is - every bear season here, the bears seem to disappear - none seen - even with driving for them. It's too early for hibernation too. We never kill any in bear season.
I was invited to hunt bears up in the Poconos by a friend. It was in a private community of summer homes that have non stop bear problems all year. We showed up to drive it off with 30 guys. We didn't even see one and I think I saw the only track. Some nasty swamps too. I was whooped after that day. We figured that the bears knew the people and therefore the food were there in summer so by fall they just moved on to where there was food.

When I planted my first apple trees nearly 30 years ago, I found that voles were my #1 nemesis. They would crawl under the snow and girdle my young trees. I learned to protect them from voles by wrapping the trunks with window screen or hardware cloth so I don't have vole issues anymore. Unfortunately, bears soon became my #1 nemesis ... and I can not protect my apple trees from bears. They are just plain destructive! Truthfully, most of the 25-30 apple trees bears have destroyed have been broken down when there weren't even any apples on the trees. They just like trashing things.

I finally drew a bear tag this year after applying for the last 7 years so hopefully I will be able to take one out of the population. They are excellent eating and that is a bonus, but we just can't kill enough of them to eliminate their damage. Too many bears....too few opportunities to hunt them. If they weren't so destructive I wouldn't mind having them around.

Not sure what it would take to become a legalized orchard, but then Apples would be your crop and PART of your income. That would negate some of the argument points above.

Please understand I LOVE wildlife - all wildlife, but if reasonable solutions (like a e fence fail) folks will have to look for a plan B.

So, racoon trap and kill when they are a nuisance and destroy stuff? Bear, they are just being bears?
well if you don't know the difference between a raccoon and a bear, I really cannot help you, but I will try!

one is a BIG game animal, one is not for starters
one has legal ; trapping seasons and dates and the other has legal hunting season and dates where hunting them or trapping is legally allowed
if your hunting or trapping either out of season, well then your breaking the law!
if you look at fines, there is a large difference in killing a raccoon out of season as to a big game animal as a bear is!
they have a higher VALUE
populations of both is completely different as well!, all the more so pending what area your in!
do you see a difference yet? Odds are no, but ignorance is blind as they say !

and a very simple observation, those that hunted, bears, even in so called places where they have lots of them and or problems
yet didn;t see or get one
can you see the logic??
bears are where FOOD is
plant food they eat, bears will show up, your drawing them in!

food goes away, so do bears
if you desire to PLANT food that attracts bears, learn to deal with them legally and ethically!
its what a true sportsman does !

wish to take matters into your own hands, well, that again shows your true colors of what respect you have for wildlife over your own entitlement you feel you have to do so!

I see you place the same great enthusiasm into bears as you do with abandoned tree stands. LOL

PS: I’m still calling them litter.

and a very simple observation, those that hunted, bears, even in so called places where they have lots of them and or problems
yet didn;t see or get one
can you see the logic??
bears are where FOOD is
plant food they eat, bears will show up, your drawing them in!

food goes away, so do bears
if you desire to PLANT food that attracts bears, learn to deal with them legally and ethically!
its what a true sportsman does !

wish to take matters into your own hands, well, that again shows your true colors of what respect you have for wildlife over your own entitlement you feel you have to do so!

I have never harmed a bear, legally or illegally. I am just calling them out for what they are, dicks!

You obviously are very passionate for bears, and I can respect that, but you have to realize, very few people share your passion! Especially anyone that has anything to do with habitat.

I have changed up what I plant, where I put my garbage, I burn off my grill after use, I don’t have bird feeders, I don’t feed deer, I have all of my apple trees caged, I remove all the apples from the trees after deer season, I have bought electric fence, but I didn’t install it yet. I have tried gimmicks the DNR recommended to scare them off, I have reduced their hanging out on my property significantly, but I still get the ones that climb on the cages, snap of limbs, or main leaders in May, when my trees would be lucky to even have blooms on them, and they aren’t wrecking my trees for food, they are climbing them to be a dick and break them off.

My liberal, tree hugging DNR up until recently, gave out very few bear permits, and didn’t admit to an over population of them, but in the last couple years, they have given out many times the permits as they have in the past, it has helped, or me changing things up has helped, or both. But right now I have a moma and 3 cubs being regulars, and I don’t want them trouble makers to hang out here, so you are welcome to come and get them.

I worked for a truck garden/cut flower operation for a couple of years. I actually did controlled shooting (cropping) of deer when they were given damage permits from MDC, mid summer.

Ohio has issued a lot of crop damage permits also, be it row crops or orchards/ tree farms. Not uncommon at all here for farmers to get deer kill permission.

I have never harmed a bear, legally or illegally. I am just calling them out for what they are, dicks!

You obviously are very passionate for bears, and I can respect that, but you have to realize, very few people share your passion! Especially anyone that has anything to do with habitat.

I have changed up what I plant, where I put my garbage, I burn off my grill after use, I don’t have bird feeders, I don’t feed deer, I have all of my apple trees caged, I remove all the apples from the trees after deer season, I have bought electric fence, but I didn’t install it yet. I have tried gimmicks the DNR recommended to scare them off, I have reduced their hanging out on my property significantly, but I still get the ones that climb on the cages, snap of limbs, or main leaders in May, when my trees would be lucky to even have blooms on them, and they aren’t wrecking my trees for food, they are climbing them to be a dick and break them off.

My liberal, tree hugging DNR up until recently, gave out very few bear permits, and didn’t admit to an over population of them, but in the last couple years, they have given out many times the permits as they have in the past, it has helped, or me changing things up has helped, or both. But right now I have a moma and 3 cubs being regulars, and I don’t want them trouble makers to hang out here, so you are welcome to come and get them.

I was working at the deer hunters building at the county fair last weekend and there were lots of bear stories. Our whole county is in a quota area on bear tags, however the state put one part of the county in an unlimited tag zone. Very few bear stories from that part of the county! It happens to be where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working at the deer hunters building at the county fair last weekend and there were lots of bear stories. Our whole county is in a quota area on bear tags, however the state put one part of the county in an unlimited tag zone. Very few bear stories from that part of the county! It happens to be where I live.

“Unlimited bear tags”. We here in Wisconsin are the opposite. Up by me it takes about 10-12 years to get a bear tag and that’s with applying for a point every year. As such bears are everywhere and their population is exploding by me. I see bears very frequently and have only 1 single fawn that I see in my area. All the other does have no fawns tagging along with them this year. Past years when we didn’t see many bears we each doe had at least 1 and several had twins with them.

I again can understand your frustration, I get it, and I give you credit for doing the steps you have without resorting to other means
one of the reasons I am Guessing your having spring time issue is your fruit tree's ( I am only guessing you may have more than apples tree's)
BUT I also am guessing where your apple tree's are is in a FIRST green up area, be it grasses, or clover about the tree's or in the area of the tree's
and this is what draws bears in , in the spring time, its the first green food available to them
so, again, and NO bash, I get things, the things you have done to BETTER your land and make for better habitat, is also what is drawing bears in!
its a double edged sword, on one had you want better habitat, and I will also again guessing , some better food for game animals you prefer to hunt or see
but your also getting bears you really don't want, I get it
but again, bears are just being bears
they may damage your tree's, its due to bears being curious animals, the cages them selves may be attracting them to the tree, as they will fed on the first greens of the new yr, see the cages and be curious as to WHY there, whats in them, and just due to there size they can damage them, its not really about being a DICK , ( get your view on them though too, but its not a fair one if we can be honest!, they are just being what a mother nature made them )) , they can also just be bored after a winter's sleep or so on!,(more of what give's them your view I am sure)
BUT<
its sadly the just nature of the business and nature at work in itself, better habitat will DRAW In ALL sorts of wildlife that can benefit from your hard work!
your local NCNR, game warden or??
I gather they view things as they feel a bear is being a bear, for one, second, I gather they don;t hand out permits easily, due to they have a VALUE for the bear and don;t want they just shot for being a bear!
I will however fully 100% agree that many many, game dept's are VERY slow to adjust to populations, be them too high or too low, it always seems like they wait way too long to notice what is happening, so, I feel for you on this aspect!
for a agency that is supposed to protect wildlife, many seen to be clueless as to what real numbers are in any area, and its not till they get to damaging levels, that they start to make any adjustments!, seems a lot of room for improvement on there side, so again, I can agree on this and maybe they should give out more tags/permits in your area?? I cannot say yes or no, as I do not know where your at or what the real population of bears is in your area! to say either way!
on a PLUS for you MAYBE? if your concern is a female with this yrs cubs, well, next yr she will run them cubs off and out of the area(99% of the time any how)
so that will just leave her, and a yr off till she has cubs again!, or maybe gets hunted and harvested or other wise removed from your area

IF she however comes back the following yr, MAYBE try getting a warden to put up a trap and relocate her, just make sure they take her a 100+ miles or so away, or odds are HIGH she will come back
I am not just passionate about bears, I spent a huge part of my life working with them, working with state game dept and in other ways, from raising some orphaned cubs to doing , re hap on injured one's and so on, I know a lot of things about bears! and have a LOT of time spent about them
90% of all the bears I have helped trap to be relocated, if NOT taken over 95 miles, came back in about 30-40 days or many times less!, past the 100 mile mark and much much less came back!
problem is, few wardens want to drive that far, and many have rules on how far they can only move things, many have to work with in there region only , or need special permission to move one to a different region! but a GOOD warden working with a land owner , will some times make the effort, and why I have always suggested its worth taking the time to be friend your local warden, as they say, its better to be friends than be strangers when in need, or IMO it is!
other wise, E fence will be your friend here I think, just keep in mind not ALL E fences are of the same power, , some are pretty mild and some have some serious KICK to them LOL

and if I could, I'd gladly take your bears off your hands if it was possible!

the place I live holds a LOT of them as is, ( I average between 17-21 different ones a yr in my back yard) and all the surrounding hunting clubs would be fine having more chances at one!

“Unlimited bear tags”. We here in Wisconsin are the opposite. Up by me it takes about 10-12 years to get a bear tag and that’s with applying for a point every year. As such bears are everywhere and their population is exploding by me. I see bears very frequently and have only 1 single fawn that I see in my area. All the other does have no fawns tagging along with them this year. Past years when we didn’t see many bears we each doe had at least 1 and several had twins with them.

The rest of the county is quota with preference points and 6-7 years to get a tag. From the stories, the ‘computer’ must be having problems with awarding points as one guy said he went down in points.

We may be back to quota this year, I haven’t checked. We are heavy ag and there was lots of damage.

The guys west of Camp Ripley have lots of problems as there is no hunting in the military camp for bears.

The rest of the county is quota with preference points and 6-7 years to get a tag. From the stories, the ‘computer’ must be having problems with awarding points as one guy said he went down in points.

We may be back to quota this year, I haven’t checked. We are heavy ag and there was lots of damage.

The guys west of Camp Ripley have lots of problems as there is no hunting in the military camp for bears.

Yeah, my uncle's place is west of ripley and they are always eager to get people over to shoot bears. My kanabec county 40 is 2 miles west of the no-quota zone boundary. We're seeing bears but nothing like the number we see up at my parents place in Itasca county where it takes about 5 years to get a tag. I have no interest in a bear tag on my 40 because the odds of success would be terrible without bait and the last thing i want to do is attract bears to my property.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if MN's system is messing up how many points someone has. MN's application process is easily the worst of the 10 or so states i've applied in for limited quota tags.

Last edited:

Can I shoot a problem bear?​

Homeowners and farmowners kill the majority of nuisance bears, which is allowed in state law. This option can only be used if the bear is causing significant property damage or creating an immediate danger to people or animals.

I was unaware, thanks for sharing!