Damn Bears

I’ve been told (by the warden) I can shoot on sight if I catch a bear damaging my trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love to hear that from your warden, as I know of NO game warden that would allow this
I worked with dozens of states on bears issue's too! and been involved with bears for 40+ yrs!

Here in PA< wardens most times will not even let other law enforcement agencies shoot a bear that was hit by a vehicle and in need of being put down!
so I don;t see them LEGALLY telling a every day person it OK to shoot a bear cause its damaging an apple tree!

maybe not true in every sate but I know of NO state that allows out of season shooting of big game just cause its eating apples off your tree and or damaging your apple tree you planted!

There are several states that allow out of season killing for destruction of property.

Chill, I have never shot a bear, I had my bow drawn on one because it was thinking about climbing the tree I was in, but stomping my feet changed it’s mind.

But that does t mean I won’t. If they are comfortable climbing my deck, and I am there, it may not end well for the bear. Or if they mess with my dogs. As for my apple trees, if I am in stand and one messes with my apple trees, it may get a warning shot.

As for apples being my source of income, I would starve, because the bear keep destroying the productive trees.

I will gladly let you come over and take them all. I see no benefit to having them destructive dicks in nature.
and if a Bear is on your deck, odds are its Nose brought it there, , like most wild animals, they follow there noses to survive and find food!
I have bears on my deck almost daily 7 + month out of the yr HOPING to find any bird seeds a bird might have dropped from the feeder 12+ ft above deck!
never been a need to shot one!
have had MANY bears over my yrs also climb a tree I was hunting out of, again NO reasons to shoot the bear doing so
there curious critter by NATURE
it doesn;t mean there attacking you or targeting you as food !
lots of videos on Youtube as well of this, not that rare a deal! no real justification to kill a bear!

I have trapped and relocated countless bears over the decades
its what Game warden typically do when they get reports of a nuisance bear
however, they will NOT remove a bear where a person is planting things that attract them
in most cases they will straight up tell you, the issue ISN"T the bear, but its YOU for planting foods bears eat
its the same deal as i you had a bunch of bird feeders and they attracted bears and the feeders got damage
its NOT the bears fault, its the person placing food in an area bears are
as odds are if you remove the bear(or first one in a trap) another will take its place shortly!

its cause the food is drawing them in!
options typically are, remove the food or learn to deal with the bears
ask bee keepers what they do
they add E fence 1 cause they cannot legally KILL the bears, as they know more will just come
so best advice is to protect things with means that work to deter bears from damaging them!
it doesn;t give you the right again to KILL a bear for just being a bear!

I love to hear that from your warden, as I know of NO game warden that would allow this
I worked with dozens of states on bears issue's too! and been involved with bears for 40+ yrs!

Here in PA< wardens most times will not even let other law enforcement agencies shoot a bear that was hit by a vehicle and in need of being put down!
so I don;t see them LEGALLY telling a every day person it OK to shoot a bear cause its damaging an apple tree!

Even said he would bring me a tag when I call him so I could consume the meat. If you go the depredation permit route you can’t eat the meat according to him.

There are several states that allow out of season killing for destruction of property.

yes there are, but there has to be proof of the destruction and the destruction has to be of something worth killing the bear over
NOT due to damaging fruit tree's which were planted to lure game in
if a BUCK damaged your same tree's would you be so fast to want to kill it??
I bet the answer is NO!

yes there are, but there has to be proof of the destruction and the destruction has to be of something worth killing the bear over
NOT due to damaging fruit tree's which were planted to lure game in
if a BUCK damaged your same tree's would you be so fast to want to kill it??
I bet the answer is NO!

I value your opinion but in my case you’re wrong.

maybe not true in every sate but I know of NO state that allows out of season shooting of big game just cause its eating apples off your tree and or damaging your apple tree you planted!
I worked for a truck garden/cut flower operation for a couple of years. I actually did controlled shooting (cropping) of deer when they were given damage permits from MDC, mid summer.

I worked for a truck garden/cut flower operation for a couple of years. I actually did controlled shooting (cropping) of deer when they were given damage permits from MDC, mid summer.
YES that would be for crop damage from a business or lively hood, not for personal crops you planted!
all the more so things planted to draw wildlife to your property !
I have done crop damage also, on many different farms I have managed and been part of, as well as for businesses where they had damages and had LEGAL permission to do so! and there were always stipulations on how it all had to be done and what was done before and after killing any !

I have over 200 fruit trees in my home orchard, which is NOT a business. Anytime you want to see a damage permit, you let me know...

Bears are just like squirrels except larger. I shoot squirrels without a thought. If bears are damaging my property, I'll shoot them just like I'd shoot a squirrel. Plenty of people love squirrels. I don't give a shit. I'll shoot them anyway.

I plan to utilize a solar e fence to protect my trees. They all have metal cages anyway...so, should be pretty straight forward zapping those sobs. 2-3 should do it.

solar e fence

I have access to expired cans of OC (the good stuff, not stuff civilians can easily get). I’m thinking about taking the cans, coating them in peanut butter, and leaving them around my 2 orchards. I’ve heard bears will bite into the can and will not return when the OC ruptures into their mouth. My luck they will just lick the peanut butter off and be more attracted to the area.

On another note with the completely broken off tree, if I cut it off to the branches/4E73B03F-FE95-49CE-A6B4-7FEE64302C46.pngsuckers can I get 1 of them to continue growing the tree like it’s the new main leader? Or is it a lost cause and I should just dig it out and replant a new tree?

Could train it to open center or choose the strongest new limb and use it as the main leader. I would not replace it much larger root system with the existing tree.

Maybe just putting circles of razor wire around the wire cages would work. My fear of doing that would be bear gets in the razor wire and drags entire cage and all away with him.

I would even consider placing a ring of it in the tree top of larger fruit trees as a deterrent to keep them out of the tops snapping off branches.

Another option besides those solar E Fences came from an old timer in Northern WI. He mentioned that he uses the "Alaska" method for black bears. Boards with Nails on them around all his Apple/fruit trees.

like I said I get the frustration, but the fact you SPENT money on things, is not a legal reason to shoot an animal for being an animal,
its like folks that move from the city to rural area,s then spend money on fancy landscaping and such, and find deer eating them and cry about it

you PLANT food where wild life lives, you need to accept the fact damage will happen, doing something Illegal isn;t the solution, nor is it fair to the wildlife that is just trying to survive!

and I doubt any REAL game warden will allow you to do illegal harm wildlife that there job is to protect!, aloowing such behavior can get them fired!

SO, if you WISH to protect your investment, do so legally, is my advice
add some E fence
it works!
AND??

just cause you spent your money doesn;t mean your entitled to break the laws and rules!
it doesn;t work that way and doing so just give all hunters a bad image!
there are legal way of killing bears, and that's why we have hunting seasons'!

I never said anything about killing a bear ... stay focused here. A flash bang is no different than sticking a shotgun barrel out the door and shooting in the air to scare a bear away. Do you really think a Game Warden has time to deal with that? If Wardens were to pursue, they would need to arrest 1/3 of the county for after hours shooting.

Post #38, tlzkassen -
It would take LOADS of wood and kegs of nails for all our apple trees!!! Bears are a PITA. We used to plant corn at camp, too, but the bears always steam-rolled the entire fields when the corn was in the milk stage. We gave up on corn plots - too expensive between fertilizer and bear damage.

Funny thing is - every bear season here, the bears seem to disappear - none seen - even with driving for them. It's too early for hibernation too. We never kill any in bear season.