Damn Bears

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I’m thinking a bear or bears decided to mess with a few of my trees. Snapped 1 off completely, tipped another 1 over, and snapped off limbs from 3 others. I straightened up the tipped over one, hopefully it survives and we stripped the fruit off all the trees in that field. Damn bears E3C5136B-A85C-481A-BFD6-5E102982EC96.jpeg6C7CD461-4A07-4D4D-A3C1-6C417C0624B4.jpeg

Bears suck!

I have had fair luck recovering trees that were tipped over severely like your pic

Some stout staking and leaving in place 3-4 yrs. Mine were oaks but expect fruit trees could be saved too.

My crabapples that got ravaged were always busted off. Maybe the trunks were a bit smaller than yours.

Guess the late frosts by me the last two years have been a mixed blessing as not much fruit and nut production has allowed trees to put on some heft and get bears wandering thru on camera a day or two but they move on quickly.

yeah it sucks, but its just nature at work and a bear just being a bear trying to survive

I have tons of bears here, over the decades I just came to accept things will happen,
if I really want to protect things I add fence, not always easy or cost efficient, but it does work for me when needed!
as for tree's being tipped over and surviving
I have had many that did so, from either being pushed over, or from heavy winds in storms
as a fact one of the best producing tree's at my parents house is a storm damaged tree that a few yrs back, excessive rains and heavy winds tipped over, half the tree actually lays on its side now, and been growing like a weed making tones of apples since, I think it gets more sun now, was a like 35+ yr old tree when it tipped over, a 1/4 of its roots are above ground now too,!
red delirious apple tree!
so, they can survive some times and even thrive!
best of luck to you!

I’ll hunt them for you! 😉

I wonder if pallets in a square around your trees with maybe some razor wire around that would discourage them any?? I’d be plenty aggravated dealing with bears.

They’ve been hard on my apple trees this year too. For some reason they seem to leave my pears alone.

080a265d4d66e60ade790bb8fcf01a85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a few of these around, may discourage them...

I'd be iffy about using something like that, could be viewed as a bobby trap, (which are Illegal in all states I know of and could be in-itself a issue) But if say a bear Bite onto it and it went off(bears like to Taste things to see if they can eat it ) and a bear got injured(not so human way for a bear to die unable to eat if injured enough)
and a game warden found out the cause, it could end with you in trouble !

I get the frustration with damages and the concept of the device here,
I just don;'t see it being the best idea, unless steps taken to make it so nothing can be near it when tripped!
I sold and used a LOT bird bombs and flash bangs when I had my gun shop, so, I have a experience with things(also had an explosive lic for a while and a class III dealer)
and even if it was set up safe, a bear that wants FOOD , will come right back, you'd have to have a LOT of these to really work
for yrs on many farms I managed we set up auto flash bang like machines , that were supposed to scare deer off to prevent crop damage, by having random BOOMS< go off from basically frie works it let off at random
bears and deer got used to things and still did crop damage
the noise complaints that got filed in local police station from going off all hours of day and night were NOT worth the hassle to deal with(yes different deal here) but the loud BLASTS going off at random,, still didn;t deter the crop damage, is my point!, they adapted to things, the desire to eat a prime food over came and fear of the BOOM's

so IMHO< it isn;t the best Idea , cost and possible troubles, ain't worth doing!

So are you saying a shot of lead to the butt is better?

So are you saying a shot of lead to the butt is better?
no that would be illegal too, ask any wildlife game warden, if you don't believe me!

I'd be iffy about using something like that, could be viewed as a bobby trap, (which are Illegal in all states I know of and could be in-itself a issue) But if say a bear Bite onto it and it went off(bears like to Taste things to see if they can eat it ) and a bear got injured(not so human way for a bear to die unable to eat if injured enough)
and a game warden found out the cause, it could end with you in trouble !

I get the frustration with damages and the concept of the device here,
I just don;'t see it being the best idea, unless steps taken to make it so nothing can be near it when tripped!
I sold and used a LOT bird bombs and flash bangs when I had my gun shop, so, I have a experience with things(also had an explosive lic for a while and a class III dealer)
and even if it was set up safe, a bear that wants FOOD , will come right back, you'd have to have a LOT of these to really work
for yrs on many farms I managed we set up auto flash bang like machines , that were supposed to scare deer off to prevent crop damage, by having random BOOMS< go off from basically frie works it let off at random
bears and deer got used to things and still did crop damage
the noise complaints that got filed in local police station from going off all hours of day and night were NOT worth the hassle to deal with(yes different deal here) but the loud BLASTS going off at random,, still didn;t deter the crop damage, is my point!, they adapted to things, the desire to eat a prime food over came and fear of the BOOM's

so IMHO< it isn;t the best Idea , cost and possible troubles, ain't worth doing!

I don't worry what the game wardens think if I were needing to protect apple trees I have years of investment in. The game wardens around here are pretty practical. When I had dog running problems on my property, they pretty much told me that the best solution was the one that could not be found. 😉

I don't worry what the game wardens think if I were needing to protect apple trees I have years of investment in. The game wardens around here are pretty practical. When I had dog running problems on my property, they pretty much told me that the best solution was the one that could not be found. 😉
like I said I get the frustration, but the fact you SPENT money on things, is not a legal reason to shoot an animal for being an animal,
its like folks that move from the city to rural area,s then spend money on fancy landscaping and such, and find deer eating them and cry about it

you PLANT food where wild life lives, you need to accept the fact damage will happen, doing something Illegal isn;t the solution, nor is it fair to the wildlife that is just trying to survive!

and I doubt any REAL game warden will allow you to do illegal harm wildlife that there job is to protect!, aloowing such behavior can get them fired!

SO, if you WISH to protect your investment, do so legally, is my advice
add some E fence
it works!
AND??

just cause you spent your money doesn;t mean your entitled to break the laws and rules!
it doesn;t work that way and doing so just give all hunters a bad image!
there are legal way of killing bears, and that's why we have hunting seasons'!

I look at as farming, since apple trees are a crop. If It was a bean field and weeds are growing, and destroying my beans, I am going to kill the weeds. If bear are destroying my apple trees??? I am suppose to just say bears are being bears? Then why not say, weeds are being weeds. If you take a woods, doze it, and weeds grow in it, are you just suppose to say, well weeds are being weeds, it’s not their fault you decided to have a crop in the woods, in nature?

There are a lot of bears in the woods, it’s the nuisance bears that destroy things, and feel comfortable enough to go on someone’s deck are the ones that need to be dealt with. Not all of them, just the ones that are, well Dicks!

Last edited:
I look at as farming, since apple trees are a crop. If I have a been field and weeds are growing, and destroying my beans, I am going to kill the weeds. If bear are destroying my apple trees??? I am suppose to just say bears are being bears? Then why not say, weeds are being weeds. If you take a woods, doze it, and weeds grow in it, are you just suppose to say, well weeds are being weeds, it’s not their fault you decided to have a crop in the woods, in nature?

There are a lot of bears in the woods, it’s the nuisance bears that destroy things, and feel comfortable enough to go on someone’s deck are the ones that need to be dealt with. Not all of them, just the ones that are, well Dicks!
if your NOT a commercial farmer, you have NO legal right to kill wildlife eating the crops you plant, even farmers have legal rules to follow to do crop damage , its NOT a free for all!
maybe take some time to learn about it!

and??
if you WILLINGLY plant knowing the possibilities, unless your ignorant of this, and than even if so, its NOT the fault of the wildlife that is eating what you plant ed
it falls on you
taking the LAW into your own hands is NOT a viable or LEGAL solution
which again is WHY there legal times of yr you can HUNT things, its NOT a free for all!

and folks wonder why so many today have chips on there shoulders and feel ENTITLED to do what THEY want over following the laws we have!
its things like this that show true colors IMO

If you cannot play by the rules, maybe Don't play! NO one MAKES you plant food wildlife eats! and I know its NOT your lively hood doing so, is it?? like it is to a farmer!!
if you don;t know the difference there ,?? well? there is NO helping you!

Can I shoot a problem bear?​

Homeowners and farmowners kill the majority of nuisance bears, which is allowed in state law. This option can only be used if the bear is causing significant property damage or creating an immediate danger to people or animals.

if your NOT a commercial farmer, you have NO legal right to kill wildlife eating the crops you plant, even farmers have legal rules to follow to do crop damage , its NOT a free for all!

and??
if you WILLINGLY plant knowing the possibilities, unless your ignorant of this, and than even if so, its NOT the fault of the wildlife that is eating what you plant ed
it falls on you
which again is WHY there legal times of yr you can HUNT things, its NOT a free for all!

and folks wonder why so many today have chips on there shoulders and feel ENTITLED to do what THEY want over following the laws we have!

If you cannot play by the rules, maybe Don't play! NO one MAKES you plant food wildlife eats! and I know its NOT your lively hood doing so, is it?? like it is to a farmer!!

Definitely not true in every state but your point is valid. Everyone should be intimately familiar with their state/local laws.

and??
it falls on you

Chill, I have never shot a bear, I had my bow drawn on one because it was thinking about climbing the tree I was in, but stomping my feet changed it’s mind.

But that does t mean I won’t. If they are comfortable climbing my deck, and I am there, it may not end well for the bear. Or if they mess with my dogs. As for my apple trees, if I am in stand and one messes with my apple trees, it may get a warning shot.

As for apples being my source of income, I would starve, because the bear keep destroying the productive trees.

I will gladly let you come over and take them all. I see no benefit to having them destructive dicks in nature.

Definitely not true in every state but your point is valid. Everyone should be intimately familiar with their state/local laws.

maybe not true in every sate but I know of NO state that allows out of season shooting of big game just cause its eating apples off your tree and or damaging your apple tree you planted!