Damn Bears

Another good tree with 1/2 of if broken off by an ******* bear. Yet it takes about 12 years to get a bear tag. Way too many of these ******** in Wisconsin
My friend has a bear tag for my land this year north west WI. I have a Spartan cam out. I'm up to 11 different bears comming into the bait site.

My friend has a bear tag for my land this year north west WI. I have a Spartan cam out. I'm up to 11 different bears comming into the bait site.

Sounds really good rusk bucks. I finally drew a permit for my area - took 7 years. We can start baiting today. Any tips on your bait and setup?

We used to go to the hostess store in Superior and get old product for bear bait pain opening it all but worked very well for bear bait.

Sounds really good rusk bucks. I finally drew a permit for my area - took 7 years. We can start baiting today. Any tips on your bait and setup?
Congrats on the draw. I'm no expert but I have no trouble getting tons of bears into the bait. Some tips I would give is set up in really thick cover, they remind me of a mature buck. The big ones don't come out in the open woods/ fields. Edges of swamps are good spots. Later in the year switch more to proteins like granola,nuts, trail mix from mostly sweets earlier in the summer. Still use some sweets just not super heavy. Try to use a large variety. A little Cherry pie filling and cherry vanilla pie filling has worked great. Don't let anything get moldy. Right now the bears are cleaning up all the bait fast, but if you only have a few bears comming in during hunting cut down on the amount of bait. Don't let them get full at night and not be hungry the next day. I cut down to about 4 gallons a day. It also creates competition. if a bear comes in and the bait is mostly gone I feel he will check in more often to beat the other bears to the bait.Good luck.

Impressive you can tell them all apart. I’m unfortunately getting more bears on camera this year. I have a hard time telling them apart but I think I’ve got 3 different ones. I want them gone as to not attack my apple trees. They should be moving on to the corn fields and acorns soon enough.

Did you mean to say that in an Italian Mafia voice? 😃
YO - Big Tony & Rocco ................

Not sayin' bears love the smoked pig hides that bacon is cut from, but if a bear was to trip & fall while coming in to such a smoked hide ..........

a3aeb09821deac27d95a11776fd9c4b3.jpg

Damn bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a rare pass through a night last week. The last one wreaked some havoc. This one seems to have just walked through and kept going.
I__00008.JPG

Impressive you can tell them all apart. I’m unfortunately getting more bears on camera this year. I have a hard time telling them apart but I think I’ve got 3 different ones. I want them gone as to not attack my apple trees. They should be moving on to the corn fields and acorns soon enough.
It can be hard to tell the difference. I have a sow with 3 cubs and a sow with 2 cubs. The boars one is close to #500 so he is easy. The others I look at the ears and daylight under their belly. One boar has a small white patch on his chest. Two of the younger bears look like twins only the one has a bump on his forehead about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Two weeks in a row. Might have to get a bear tag if he sticks around. At least something drinks out of watering hole I put in. Anybody good at guessing weights. I know he's not a giant. His belly isn't very close to the ground but he looks to be pretty thick across the back.

Sow with 3 cubs. So far they have left my apple trees alone.

Attachments

• 0192393F-B466-4D09-A3EF-DEF9762EB346.jpeg
    0192393F-B466-4D09-A3EF-DEF9762EB346.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 29
Anyone ever try wrapping the tree cages with barbed wire? Wonder if that would be worth trying.

We used to go to the hostess store in Superior and get old product for bear bait pain opening it all but worked very well for bear bait.
Been said to use pastry to get them started.....but meat is what will keep them coming back. I don't think they cannot handle too much pastry......been my experience.

So this bear has been hanging around my plots. He is really big and I haven't been able to catch him when I’m bow hunting. Unfortunately, it looks like he got this crab apple tree that was just starting to produce. I lose a couple every year. So tough to get the trees to be old enough to produce and the bears just snap them off.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    995.7 KB · Views: 27
Bears can be a real pain. They are the main reason that I learned to graft and topwork trees. Cut it off and topwork it next spring is about all you can do.

Do you normally shoot a couple a year? I’d think I’d target bears when hunting. And have family and friends get tags too.

So this bear has been hanging around my plots. He is really big and I haven't been able to catch him when I’m bow hunting. Unfortunately, it looks like he got this crab apple tree that was just starting to produce. I lose a couple every year. So tough to get the trees to be old enough to produce and the bears just snap them off.
That's a fat bear!! Got a tag for rifle season?? He'd tip the scales at a hefty weight.