Cummins trees arrived today.

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I just got the order from Cummins. NICE looking trees. About 3/4" caliper and full of buds. P-18 rootstock this time, which is a new one for us. If I don't get to camp this weekend, I'll head up there one day next week to plant them. I spritzed the roots with more water and re-sealed the bag. Now resting in my unheated garage in the dark.

What trees are they?

Goldrush and Enterprise. We only have 4 apple & crab trees to plant this year - these 2 - and a Chestnut crab & a Winter Wildlife crab from SLN. The Chestnut crab will replace a Hyslop crab a bear tore out of the ground by bulldozing it over. The other 3 trees will go into strategic stand hunting spots. :emoji_smiling_imp:

I got my order from Cummins last week. An Enterprise and Haralson on P18. I took a ride to my cabin and put them in the ground last week, was tough digging holes when the ground was somewhat still frozen. Really nice looking trees from them this year.

Like you guys, I am looking forward to getting the P-18 root stock from Cummins in the ground. I ordered a Chestnut Crab, Enterprise, and Wickson Crab on the P-18 rootstock.
Also, I noticed a few Frostbites show up on their website last week on this rootstock, and grabbed the last one yesterday. I'll pick these up at the Nursery sometime next week and get them planted to pots immediately. I hope to compare notes in the coming years on how the P-18 thrives, or not, in different areas.

Keep an eye out for Woolly Aphids on the P18.

^^^^ Will do. Thanks.

Evidently SLN has shipped all ready. My trees have not arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your trees Bows. Good luck with them.

The Cummins trees are planted as of 4-8-19. Screened and caged right away. Nice root systems, tops of leader buds are just peeking a hint of green.

While at camp, I cut down a few more pitch pines that were starting to shade 6 apples and crabs. I cut them up and added them to 2 brush piles I'm using to steer deer past a good spot for a tree ladder. High wind at camp this trip.

EDIT: The deer are already using the pinch point created by the 2 brush piles. Newer trail and lots of new droppings show the brush piles are doing the intended job of "steering". :emoji_smiling_imp:

Last edited:
The Cummins trees are planted as of 4-8-19. Screened and caged right away. Nice root systems, tops of leader buds are just peeking a hint of green.

While at camp, I cut down a few more pitch pines that were starting to shade 6 apples and crabs. I cut them up and added them to 2 brush piles I'm using to steer deer past a good spot for a tree ladder. High wind at camp this trip.

EDIT: The deer are already using the pinch point created by the 2 brush piles. Newer trail and lots of new droppings show the brush piles are doing the intended job of "steering". :emoji_smiling_imp:

I am still hitting frost and am trying to keep the SLN trees dormant.

I am still hitting frost and am trying to keep the SLN trees dormant.

I still have a foot of snow.

I'd trade ya IL for NY+400" of annual snow!

Chummer has 2 seasons up there ……………….. July and winter.

Sandbur - Sounds like you're gonna have to keep storing the SLN trees. Big snow on the way. I'm feeling bad for you Upper Middies. I hope you go green soon.