Cuddelink L series Q & A

I recently set up a new L series camera as the remote to a K series camera as a home camera. Yesterday I got the cell report but for some reason I didn’t get it this morning. Any idea what might be wrong. The K camera is hooked up to a battery back and the L camera is hooked up to a solar panel.

I recently set up a new L series camera as the remote to a K series camera as a home camera. Yesterday I got the cell report but for some reason I didn’t get it this morning. Any idea what might be wrong. The K camera is hooked up to a battery back and the L camera is hooked up to a solar panel.
answered your PM

I have two new L cameras with the external 6D power pack. I couldn't get the camera to recognize the external power and John mentioned taking batteries out and hitting SD card test 8 or 9 times and then plugging in the external power supply. that worked on one of the new L cameras but not on the other one. Tried everything..

Any thoughts or suggestions for the second L camera???

I have two new L cameras with the external 6D power pack. I couldn't get the camera to recognize the external power and John mentioned taking batteries out and hitting SD card test 8 or 9 times and then plugging in the external power supply. that worked on one of the new L cameras but not on the other one. Tried everything..

Try to power on with ONLY the external pack. If that doesnt work I would swap the external packs between cams and see the results.

look inside the external and make sure a security tag isnt blocking a battery connection

also , you need the battery pack already plugged in when you run the sd card test 9 times

My experience has been give it time and it will recognize the external power source. Mine have recognized within 24 hrs or less.
”Patience grasshopper patience”

Have the black flash L-series cameras ever been anything but "out of stock"?

Not that I can tell. This does not give me confidence that Cuddeback will remain a going concern.

Have the black flash L-series cameras ever been anything but "out of stock"?

Not that I can tell. This does not give me confidence that Cuddeback will remain a going concern.
first load of Black flash L series arrives this month, but its limited - trust me Cudde is alive and well, the volume of cameras being sold is higher than any year already in 2023.

first load of Black flash L series arrives this month, but its limited - trust me Cudde is alive and well, the volume of cameras being sold is higher than any year already in 2023.
Then why does their website say nothing about this? No "coming soon!" or something like that.

To have it simply read OUT OF STOCK every damn day for several months on end is not a good look.

Just some friendly advice. Not only do I have no axe to grind with Cuddeback, but I really want to replace my existing fleet of 12-14 cameras (all old school non-cell Browning black flash, all I've used for the last 10 seasons) with a pack of L-Series black flash Cuddies - once I'm convinced they're the real deal.

Last edited:
Then why does their website say nothing about this? No "coming soon!" or something like that.

To have it simply read OUT OF STOCK every damn day for several months on end is not a good look.

Just some friendly advice. Not only do I have no axe to grind with Cuddeback, but I really want to replace my existing fleet of 12-14 cameras (all old school non-cell Browning black flash, all I've used for the last 10 seasons) with a pack of L-Series black flash Cuddies - once I'm convinced they're the real deal.
The first round of Black flash will likely all go to the Dealer network , there very well may not be any in stock on the Cudde Website in the near future. Once the shipment arrives, there are thousands already on order with our Dealer network.

You will get as good or better deal by buying thru a dealer anyways. Pm me and i can give you some dealers that will get some on the first shipment.

Regarding why it has said out of stock for months- there wasnt a guarantee on when we would actually get some - we wanted them much sooner, but the parts (specifically Parts needed for our radio boards that are made in the USA) are still very hard to come by. We do know the first wave of finished black flash L series is en route. What we dont know is the exact day they will land, how long it will take to get thru customs and how long shipping over ground will take. We WILL know the day they land but then its a wait and see on when they arrive in our facility in WI. Once there , we need to ship them to dealers etc. At this point , its likely we will have them in sept but nothing is guaranteed anymore so we dont make promises on delivery date as even just a "coming soon" doesnt satisfy people...... in fact it may aggravate more people than "out of stock" does. Supply chain is better than it was in 2021 -22 but its still not what it was pre covid and there are many challenges.

On the recommendation of a friend, I used Farmstead Outdoors. I have no affiliation with them, but I never found them cheaper and they can’t possibly ship faster anywhere else. I ordered them with solar panels the first time and dual power banks the second. Though the extras aren’t quite “free”, the package deals were very well priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

look inside the external and make sure a security tag isnt blocking a battery connection
where would it be located? there is a silver tag on the inside but not sure if it's blocking a connection or not?

Thanks

also , you need the battery pack already plugged in when you run the sd card test 9 times
so it should power up the camera with just the external plugged in and internal batteries out??? Because if i just use the external to try and power the device on it will not. The camera does not power up.

yeah I did try this and it didn't work and that prompted my initial question because i was worried the battery pack may not be working at all.

where would it be located? there is a silver tag on the inside but not sure if it's blocking a connection or not?

Thanks
it would look like a piece of paper or a decal if it has a security tag in it, sometimes it blocks the battery connection. if you cant find one, try another cable on it. if that doesnt work you would need ot return it or call CS for a replacement

The first round of Black flash will likely all go to the Dealer network , there very well may not be any in stock on the Cudde Website in the near future. Once the shipment arrives, there are thousands already on order with our Dealer network.

You will get as good or better deal by buying thru a dealer anyways. Pm me and i can give you some dealers that will get some on the first shipment.

Regarding why it has said out of stock for months- there wasnt a guarantee on when we would actually get some - we wanted them much sooner, but the parts (specifically Parts needed for our radio boards that are made in the USA) are still very hard to come by. We do know the first wave of finished black flash L series is en route. What we dont know is the exact day they will land, how long it will take to get thru customs and how long shipping over ground will take. We WILL know the day they land but then its a wait and see on when they arrive in our facility in WI. Once there , we need to ship them to dealers etc. At this point , its likely we will have them in sept but nothing is guaranteed anymore so we dont make promises on delivery date as even just a "coming soon" doesnt satisfy people...... in fact it may aggravate more people than "out of stock" does. Supply chain is better than it was in 2021 -22 but its still not what it was pre covid and there are many challenges.
Thanks for your commentary John, message sent.

I've been using a G5109 cell home and G5062 remote. I have two new LL-2A ready to go. They will be strung out in a general line (not straight due to topography) 1, 2, 3, 4 to maximise the distance between 1 and 4. 1 and 4 are the most interesting spots; the other 2 used as repeaters but I'll set them as "remote" cuz pics will still be interesting.
1) It would make sense to put the LL-2As at the ends (where I want the best pic quality and minimum camera checking). So can I put the remote at position 1, then walk the woods to find the maximum distance to put the cell home for position 2? Does the cell home have a signal strength indicator? Or do I need to put the cell home at #1, then walk the woods with the repeater to find the best spot, then trade the camera positions? Are these questions confusing without maps?
2) the LL-2A camera has a setting IMAGE EXPOSURE WIDE or CENTER. Can't find this mentioned anywheres in the manual. What's it mean?
3) pg 8 of the manual says "all cuddelink cameras can be configured as a home or remote". A few years back we discussed using the cheaper G5109 as a remote, and the answer was "nope". Does the recent firmware update make that possible now?
Doggone these things are fun! Being able to put friends and family on the email list is a nice touch.

I've been using a G5109 cell home and G5062 remote. I have two new LL-2A ready to go. They will be strung out in a general line (not straight due to topography) 1, 2, 3, 4 to maximise the distance between 1 and 4. 1 and 4 are the most interesting spots; the other 2 used as repeaters but I'll set them as "remote" cuz pics will still be interesting.
1) It would make sense to put the LL-2As at the ends (where I want the best pic quality and minimum camera checking). So can I put the remote at position 1, then walk the woods to find the maximum distance to put the cell home for position 2? Does the cell home have a signal strength indicator? Or do I need to put the cell home at #1, then walk the woods with the repeater to find the best spot, then trade the camera positions? Are these questions confusing without maps?
2) the LL-2A camera has a setting IMAGE EXPOSURE WIDE or CENTER. Can't find this mentioned anywheres in the manual. What's it mean?
3) pg 8 of the manual says "all cuddelink cameras can be configured as a home or remote". A few years back we discussed using the cheaper G5109 as a remote, and the answer was "nope". Does the recent firmware update make that possible now?
Doggone these things are fun! Being able to put friends and family on the email list is a nice touch.
1. Start by placing the home centrally- run cell test , if success arm it.. Then turn one remote on and move away from it with lInk level on , if you can stay above 20 your are good. Place it then turn the other remote on and do the same thing.
2/ L camera has fixed image size setting it cant be changed.
3. Cameras can be a SD card home or a remote in a non cellular network , a cuddelink Cell unit can only be a home unit - it cant be a remote - this hasn't changed.

Does anyone know if you can downgrade the firmware on the L series camera to 7.9? I understand I won't have the functionality of 8.3.