Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

try a different SD card as well, this still sounds like a battery issue or connection issue to me but if that doesnt work Pm me with your name and number so i can have someone call you.
Ok thanks. I will try when I get home. I have tried different SD cards, both the same brand and different one. Why wouldn’t the same SD card work if it loaded into my J camera just fine. I’m assuming the J & K camera’s are running the same software? Thanks

Ok thanks. I will try when I get home. I have tried different SD cards, both the same brand and different one. Why wouldn’t the same SD card work if it loaded into my J camera just fine. I’m assuming the J & K camera’s are running the same software? Thanks
not always cards can become corrupt at anytime. If new batteries dont work (dont use energizer) then you would need to contact CS or PM me you info so i can have someone contact you. ITs very odd that a camera wont take firmware when the steps i outlined are done. I dont want to continue to trouble shoot via the forum with multiple posts so best to have you contacted directly.

Try this.
Go to Cuddeback’s webpage and click on Get Gen 2 Firmware located on far right. Scroll to bottom and click on blue link to update to Gen2 Beta Release. Once this is done setup two SD cards, one with only the zipfile cdy_1_0_0.zip and one with only cdy_1200_1_0_0.fw. Again let these files be the only thing on the card, no Directory or Subdirectory. Place one card in camera and go to Command and go through setup process and upload FW, if you get a Check SD card remove card and place second card in camera and repeat the process. One of these should work.

Hello All,
I just finished reading the 35 pages of this thread and the entire 230 pages of the previous thread before commenting and wanted to start out saying that there is a tremendous amount of information here! It was very interesting to follow the evolution of the system and great that John was there all along to provide definitive answers on everything along with all the feedback from the other members. I think I am getting in at the right time and it sounds like most of the bugs have been worked out.

I recently deployed my first network of cameras about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 Js and 1 K AT&T model. The shipment ordered directly through CuddyBack was delayed as I had originally ordered the Verizon model which turned out to be out of stock. After not hearing anything from Cuddyback for 5 days I contacted them and explained I was about to go away for work for 4 weeks and I had really hoped to set out the cameras before departing - Since the website had listed the Verizon model in stock at the time I ordered they were more than willing to work with me and cover the cost of overnight shipping to help me out (I am happy with the customer service so far). I received the cameras late on Monday, activated the cell cam that evening and tested it a few times. Tuesday morning I quickly went through each of the J cams and headed for the woods. The system is certainly more difficult to setup than your average trail camera but that was something I expected and I did not have much trouble. I was able to place 3 of the cameras at the sites I wanted but had to put the 4th in a trail to connect the link as I did not have enough time to search around for a better spot that would still connect the other cameras. They range from 200-380 yards on a mixed growth ridge with quite a bit of elevation difference. Wednesday morning I flew out for work. So far I have been very happy with the system, the deer population in my area of Maine is very low so I do not expect a high volume of photos but they all seem to be coming through and the thumbnail quality image is more than adequate for my needs. Only once has the report not sent and I happened to receive a heavy fog alert for the area that morning so I assume that is the cause given the location is not the best cell service to begin with.

Unfortunately in my haste to get the cameras deployed I did not notice that they arrived with firmware 7.9 installed (7.8 on the K) so I am missing out out on all of the Gen 2 benefits until I get home and can update them to v8.1.

A few questions I have after reading through the pages and pages of information:

1 - Do the Fresnel Lens, Center Angle Model 9004, come standard on any of the cuddylink models or is that just an option for users looking to get increased detection range? I do have one camera located on a food plot and I believe the deer are frequently out of the detection zone on the J model after doing a quick walk test when setting it up. (I will likely relocate this camera within the plot).
2 - Will the PW-3600 work on the K cell cam? I had ordered one with the specific intention of using it on that camera as I thought it would require the most power. The location it is setup in is pretty much full sun now and certainly will be when the leaves drop. I have since read that the primary intention of this is to be used on 4-D Cell battery cameras - FYI it is hooked up and does not show up on my report.
3 - I am very interested in adding another 4 cameras to the system in September and wanted to get opinions if people feel that the G cams are worth it over the newer style 4 D cell battery Js. As mentioned, one is already on a food plot and I will likely place a second on another. Also - I am thinking that the CuddePower® Model PW-3624 is the way to go (over the dual power bank) for any camera that is not in full sun where the PW-3600 could be used if I don't mind maybe going in once a season and changing batteries - any thoughts on this? The 12v cable and a large deep cycle marine battery does sound interesting for the easy to access cameras...
4 - Best places to purchase cameras? - Farmstead Outdoors is mentioned a lot here and looks to be a great option (one I likely should have looked at before making my initial purchase...), any others to check out?

Thank you.

I just got the G-series Double Barrel and solar panel combo from Farmstead Outdoors. My first link cam. Have the K- white flash as well. I'm gonna miss the higher res pics but I'll live. Maybe even live to see the high res pics off the card. This better go smoothly....

Good luck Rocky..I'll let the experts answer the questions :emoji_sunglasses:

Hello All,

A few questions I have after reading through the pages and pages of information: Answers in red behind questions

1 - Do the Fresnel Lens, Center Angle Model 9004, come standard on any of the cuddylink models or is that just an option for users looking to get increased detection range? I do have one camera located on a food plot and I believe the deer are frequently out of the detection zone on the J model after doing a quick walk test when setting it up. (I will likely relocate this camera within the plot). it doesn't but they are very inexpensive and easy to change out several dealers stock them including the dealer you mentioned.
2 - Will the PW-3600 work on the K cell cam? I had ordered one with the specific intention of using it on that camera as I thought it would require the most power. The location it is setup in is pretty much full sun now and certainly will be when the leaves drop. I have since read that the primary intention of this is to be used on 4-D Cell battery cameras - FYI it is hooked up and does not show up on my report. It will but if you run alkaline in the camera it will run on those first instead of the solar. You can also put rechargeable 10kMAH D's in the camera and run it that way with the panel. Its doesnt show up because the voltage is lower in the panel than the camera, with a 4 d camera the panel voltage is higher and will show up on the report.
3 - I am very interested in adding another 4 cameras to the system in September and wanted to get opinions if people feel that the G cams are worth it over the newer style 4 D cell battery Js. They are, especially if you like black flash then pick up the powerhouse black flash version. As mentioned, one is already on a food plot and I will likely place a second on another. Also - I am thinking that the CuddePower® Model PW-3624 is the way to go (over the dual power bank) for any camera that is not in full sun where the PW-3600 could be used if I don't mind maybe going in once a season and changing batteries - any thoughts on this? I prefer that exact set up over all others. The 12v cable and a large deep cycle marine battery does sound interesting for the easy to access cameras...
4 - Best places to purchase cameras? - Farmstead Outdoors is mentioned a lot here and looks to be a great option (one I likely should have looked at before making my initial purchase...), any others to check out? Lots of good retailers including Farmstead , you are better off buying thru a dealer like them that knows the entire line.

Thank you.

I just got the G-series Double Barrel and solar panel combo from Farmstead Outdoors. My first link cam. Have the K- white flash as well. I'm gonna miss the higher res pics but I'll live. Maybe even live to see the high res pics off the card. This better go smoothly....

Good luck Rocky..I'll let the experts answer the questions :emoji_sunglasses:
i love the double barrel, we sold out of those this week and it will be a while before we get more in. Some dealers still have some but that will dry up pretty quick.

i love the double barrel, we sold out of those this week and it will be a while before we get more in. Some dealers still have some but that will dry up pretty quick.

I just checked...Farmstead now says "out of stock"(for the combo I got). Just received it today, too.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I just finished reading the 35 pages of this thread and the entire 230 pages of the previous thread before commenting and wanted to start out saying that there is a tremendous amount of information here! It was very interesting to follow the evolution of the system and great that John was there all along to provide definitive answers on everything along with all the feedback from the other members. I think I am getting in at the right time and it sounds like most of the bugs have been worked out.

I recently deployed my first network of cameras about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 Js and 1 K AT&T model. The shipment ordered directly through CuddyBack was delayed as I had originally ordered the Verizon model which turned out to be out of stock. After not hearing anything from Cuddyback for 5 days I contacted them and explained I was about to go away for work for 4 weeks and I had really hoped to set out the cameras before departing - Since the website had listed the Verizon model in stock at the time I ordered they were more than willing to work with me and cover the cost of overnight shipping to help me out (I am happy with the customer service so far). I received the cameras late on Monday, activated the cell cam that evening and tested it a few times. Tuesday morning I quickly went through each of the J cams and headed for the woods. The system is certainly more difficult to setup than your average trail camera but that was something I expected and I did not have much trouble. I was able to place 3 of the cameras at the sites I wanted but had to put the 4th in a trail to connect the link as I did not have enough time to search around for a better spot that would still connect the other cameras. They range from 200-380 yards on a mixed growth ridge with quite a bit of elevation difference. Wednesday morning I flew out for work. So far I have been very happy with the system, the deer population in my area of Maine is very low so I do not expect a high volume of photos but they all seem to be coming through and the thumbnail quality image is more than adequate for my needs. Only once has the report not sent and I happened to receive a heavy fog alert for the area that morning so I assume that is the cause given the location is not the best cell service to begin with.

Unfortunately in my haste to get the cameras deployed I did not notice that they arrived with firmware 7.9 installed (7.8 on the K) so I am missing out out on all of the Gen 2 benefits until I get home and can update them to v8.1.

A few questions I have after reading through the pages and pages of information:

1 - Do the Fresnel Lens, Center Angle Model 9004, come standard on any of the cuddylink models or is that just an option for users looking to get increased detection range? I do have one camera located on a food plot and I believe the deer are frequently out of the detection zone on the J model after doing a quick walk test when setting it up. (I will likely relocate this camera within the plot).
2 - Will the PW-3600 work on the K cell cam? I had ordered one with the specific intention of using it on that camera as I thought it would require the most power. The location it is setup in is pretty much full sun now and certainly will be when the leaves drop. I have since read that the primary intention of this is to be used on 4-D Cell battery cameras - FYI it is hooked up and does not show up on my report.
3 - I am very interested in adding another 4 cameras to the system in September and wanted to get opinions if people feel that the G cams are worth it over the newer style 4 D cell battery Js. As mentioned, one is already on a food plot and I will likely place a second on another. Also - I am thinking that the CuddePower® Model PW-3624 is the way to go (over the dual power bank) for any camera that is not in full sun where the PW-3600 could be used if I don't mind maybe going in once a season and changing batteries - any thoughts on this? The 12v cable and a large deep cycle marine battery does sound interesting for the easy to access cameras...
4 - Best places to purchase cameras? - Farmstead Outdoors is mentioned a lot here and looks to be a great option (one I likely should have looked at before making my initial purchase...), any others to check out?

Thank you.

I have 9 J's and 3 G's, all purchased within the last year. I would say that unless you have a specific flash type that you're interested in, that the J's are the way to go. Of all of the Cuddeback cameras I have bought, the only camera that had any issues was a G. Purely anecdotal, and this is a really small sample size, but take that for what its worth. I actually don't plan on buying anymore G's and will likely only buy J's from here on out. Not because I think they are less reliable, I just think the added cost is not worth it outside of a few unique flash purposes.

I have bought several Cuddeback cameras off of U Outdoors. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Some of my cams still have the 6.7 firmware can I download the 2.0 bypassing the 7. Firmware ?

Some of my cams still have the 6.7 firmware can I download the 2.0 bypassing the 7. Firmware ?
I have not done this personally but from everything I have read on this forum you should not have a problem skipping firmware revisions or even going backwards.

John/Tamarak/HoytVectrix,

Thank you for the feedback on on my questions.

John - you mention possibly running rechargeable D cells in my K along with the solar panel - just to clarify, would this be simply to get a better voltage difference between power sources so it would start with the solar panel+panel battery pack or would the solar panel be able to charge both its internal pack and the D-cells in the camera?

The pics posted from the double barrel flash do look impressive, I might have to give that a try.

John/Tamarak/HoytVectrix,

Thank you for the feedback on on my questions.

John - you mention possibly running rechargeable D cells in my K along with the solar panel - just to clarify, would this be simply to get a better voltage difference between power sources so it would start with the solar panel+panel battery pack or would the solar panel be able to charge both its internal pack and the D-cells in the camera?

The pics posted from the double barrel flash do look impressive, I might have to give that a try.
It should charge both and it’s hard to say what batteries would be used first since rechargeable ds can vary in voltage but they are definitely lower than alkaline . My guess is it would use the internals first . Like I said earlier ty e 3600 is primarily designed to be used with a 4 d alkaline unit . Future cell units will all be 4 d internal units.

It should work, make sure you i
Unzip the file before you copy it to the sd card . If it doesn’t take , 7.9 is still on the website under firmware updates . Gen 2 has the 8.1 on it.

Well..connecting the cams was a breeze. While walking thru the woods to move/set up the Home cam I was thinking- I doubt it's going to connect at this distance thru this. But it did..said 70 Good. Already getting pictures.

I'm sure this was asked and answered already- if the Home goes dead or you turn it off...after putting in new batteries/turning it back on are the other cams/links automatically connected or do you have to go to each one and re-connect?

Well..connecting the cams was a breeze. While walking thru the woods to move/set up the Home cam I was thinking- I doubt it's going to connect at this distance thru this. But it did..said 70 Good. Already getting pictures.

I'm sure this was asked and answered already- if the Home goes dead or you turn it off...after putting in new batteries/turning it back on are the other cams/links automatically connected or do you have to go to each one and re-connect?
They will auto connect, did it yesterday and everything has reconnected.

I have 9 J's and 3 G's, all purchased within the last year. I would say that unless you have a specific flash type that you're interested in, that the J's are the way to go. Of all of the Cuddeback cameras I have bought, the only camera that had any issues was a G. Purely anecdotal, and this is a really small sample size, but take that for what its worth. I actually don't plan on buying anymore G's and will likely only buy J's from here on out. Not because I think they are less reliable, I just think the added cost is not worth it outside of a few unique flash purposes.

I have bought several Cuddeback cameras off of U Outdoors. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Are all of your J cams IR or do you have any blackflash? I am wondering what the effective range or ideal target distance is on the J series BlackFlash. I know I read before that the G Powerhouse Blackflash is about the equivalent to the J series long range IR but looking back over the threads I could not find much on the J blackflash.

Are all of your J cams IR or do you have any blackflash? I am wondering what the effective range or ideal target distance is on the J series BlackFlash. I know I read before that the G Powerhouse Blackflash is about the equivalent to the J series long range IR but looking back over the threads I could not find much on the J blackflash.
Unfortunately, all my J's are IR. Hopefully someone else can answer this question. I'd say at least with the G's, the difference between the Blackflash and the Powerhouse is about 10-15 feet. I don't have enough info yet to say how much the deer notice the Powerhouse vs the Blackflash though.

Unfortunately, all my J's are IR. Hopefully someone else can answer this question. I'd say at least with the G's, the difference between the Blackflash and the Powerhouse is about 10-15 feet. I don't have enough info yet to say how much the deer notice the Powerhouse vs the Blackflash though.
i always suggest to anyone who prefers black flash to jump up to the G series powerhouse. The J series Black works but you really need to keep the camera close to the target area. With the powerhouse you can set it the same as IR and you will be very happy with the images. When running IR the J works in the vast majority of situations.

This is about what you'll get with a J black flash. My personal preference is the powerhouse IR. The standard IR on the dual G and IR J is sufficient though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_060334.jpg
    IMG_20200831_060334.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 25