Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I set it to batch = 1. I have a hunt in 2 days and want every picture sent to me right away.
This is likely the issue , batch 1 does not work well unless using the dual cell as a stand alone cell camera and even then it’s not advised . Moving it to one hour will fix your issue unless you have another setting out of whack. If you have access to the home camera set it at 1 hour if you want close to real time data .

Something you said made me think the test and deployment were not done in the same location. If that is the case you may not have a good cell connection where you deployed the camera. I did this yesterday, the LTE signal was bouncing between 1 bar LTE and 1 and 2 bar at the 3G level. It sent the test email but now it’s not responding. Will move tomorrow.

Something you said made me think the test and deployment were not done in the same location. If that is the case you may not have a good cell connection where you deployed the camera. I did this yesterday, the LTE signal was bouncing between 1 bar LTE and 1 and 2 bar at the 3G level. It sent the test email but now it’s not responding. Will move tomorrow.
i thought the same thing, i recommend running the test twice from the location you want the cell unit to be. Another way to check is to use a cell phone in the spot and if you can download images or webpages on your phone in the spot the dual cell typically will send images. Even then i would run the test since it only takes a few minutes. Bars or the LTE showing isnt always correct. i know several spots near my home where my phone shows LTE and i cant get anything out not even a text, 1/4 mile down the road and it works great.

c
This is likely the issue , batch 1 does not work well unless using the dual cell as a stand alone cell camera and even then it’s not advised . Moving it to one hour will fix your issue unless you have another setting out of whack. If you have access to the home camera set it at 1 hour if you want close to real time data .

I appreciate your feedback! No where in any advertisements or in the manual does it say this will not work. I researched this quite a bit before I bought these cameras. What is the point of having this option if it does not work? This is a HUGE disappointment for a camera of this price range.

I had Covert 3G cameras recently and this feature (send each picture as soon as it is taken) worked great and they also have a great app which allows you to see the thumbnails immediately and manage your cameras, as well as change settings on the cameras remotely. I was about to buy the new LTE version, but I figured that it would be nice to save a few bucks on the monthly charges and switch over to CUDDELINK cameras to have one cell bill for my whole batch of cameras.

I'm glad I only bought two J series and the k series dual cell and waited to buy the other four J series I was originally going to buy, but I decided to test it out with just two to see if I liked it. If I cannot get this system to do what I need (not waiting an hour for pictures), then these cameras will be up for sale very lightly used soon. I guess, I was spoiled by the Covert camera features.

Thank you for the feedback.
There is a brand new cell tower less than a mile from the home camera. the test location was inside my house which is 200 yards away from the location it sits now. It has great cell service.

i thought the same thing, i recommend running the test twice from the location you want the cell unit to be. Another way to check is to use a cell phone in the spot and if you can download images or webpages on your phone in the spot the dual cell typically will send images. Even then i would run the test since it only takes a few minutes. Bars or the LTE showing isnt always correct. i know several spots near my home where my phone shows LTE and i cant get anything out not even a text, 1/4 mile down the road and it works great.

Thank you for info. I was a lead engineer for T-Mobile for 5 years. Sadly I know wireless service deficiencies all too well. There is a brand new LTE verizon cell tower less than a mile from where the home camera is. I can watch Netflix on my phone while sitting in the tree stand if I desired to.

I went out in the dark and changed batch to 5 to see if it makes a difference. I cannot see how stand alone or link mode should matter, since I at this time only have one remote camera integrated for testing. I then walked in front of the camera several times over a 5 minute period to see what happens. There is also a batch of wild hogs that come in regularly around this time, so let's see what happens. Also I sent 2 test connections as you recommended and those worked.

c

I appreciate your feedback! No where in any advertisements or in the manual does it say this will not work. I researched this quite a bit before I bought these cameras. What is the point of having this option if it does not work? This is a HUGE disappointment for a camera of this price range.

I had Covert 3G cameras recently and this feature (send each picture as soon as it is taken) worked great and they also have a great app which allows you to see the thumbnails immediately and manage your cameras, as well as change settings on the cameras remotely. I was about to buy the new LTE version, but I figured that it would be nice to save a few bucks on the monthly charges and switch over to CUDDELINK cameras to have one cell bill for my whole batch of cameras.

I'm glad I only bought two J series and the k series dual cell and waited to buy the other four J series I was originally going to buy, but I decided to test it out with just two to see if I liked it. If I cannot get this system to do what I need (not waiting an hour for pictures), then these cameras will be up for sale very lightly used soon. I guess, I was spoiled by the Covert camera features.
when firmware 8.0 is released in the very near future it will allow you to change settings remotely and manage your cameras etc but its not an app, you will do it on your cell management page on the cuddeback website either on your phone or a computer(see GEN 2 thread on this forum for more of what it will do)
Cuddelink has a huge amount of advantages in cost and deployment options but if you want pics transmitted immediately after they are taken 1 at a time while run-in a network of multiple cameras and 1 hour at max is to long(since it would send any available on the hour and some of them may have been take 5 ,10 ,20, 30-40 minutes earlier ) then you should consider other options. Since you are a covert cell cam owner you already know you will need a plan for each camera and the cost that goes with each camera. You will also need each camera to be in a location with connected cell service.
You can run batch 1 when running a dual cell stand alone ( same as a covert ) but i still dont recommend it. The cell camera has to shut down to transmit cellularly for a few minutes to send a pic. When its shut down, it cant be receiving pics from the remotes or itself and if you have multiple cameras taking a lot of pics its very easy for a system to get backed up which would result in you not getting the pics seconds after they are taken as you wish.
Personally, i can't imagine many scenarios where getting a picture an hour at most after it was taken would change the way i hunt. Possibly if i was using it as a security camera i could justify it. Everyone has different needs and desires so if this one feature is the most important to you, running Cuddelinks in a network might not be for you.

Thank you for info. I was a lead engineer for T-Mobile for 5 years. Sadly I know wireless service deficiencies all too well. There is a brand new LTE verizon cell tower less than a mile from where the home camera is. I can watch Netflix on my phone while sitting in the tree stand if I desired to.

I went out in the dark and changed batch to 5 to see if it makes a difference. I cannot see how stand alone or link mode should matter, since I at this time only have one remote camera integrated for testing. I then walked in front of the camera several times over a 5 minute period to see what happens. There is also a batch of wild hogs that come in regularly around this time, so let's see what happens. Also I sent 2 test connections as you recommended and those worked.
ill assume you have all other settings correct then, a common one is users have issues with is having CC mode set to "off". The test will still pass but images wont send if CC mode is set to off. if it still doesnt send and you can have the cell camera in front of you at some point you can call me and ill walk you thru the settings to be sure all are correct.

when firmware 8.0 is released in the very near future it will allow you to change settings remotely and manage your cameras etc but its not an app, you will do it on your cell management page on the cuddeback website either on your phone or a computer(see GEN 2 thread on this forum for more of what it will do)
Cuddelink has a huge amount of advantages in cost and deployment options but if you want pics transmitted immediately after they are taken 1 at a time while run-in a network of multiple cameras and 1 hour at max is to long(since it would send any available on the hour and some of them may have been take 5 ,10 ,20, 30-40 minutes earlier ) then you should consider other options. Since you are a covert cell cam owner you already know you will need a plan for each camera and the cost that goes with each camera. You will also need each camera to be in a location with connected cell service.
You can run batch 1 when running a dual cell stand alone ( same as a covert ) but i still dont recommend it. The cell camera has to shut down to transmit cellularly for a few minutes to send a pic. When its shut down, it cant be receiving pics from the remotes or itself and if you have multiple cameras taking a lot of pics its very easy for a system to get backed up which would result in you not getting the pics seconds after they are taken as you wish.
Personally, i can't imagine many scenarios where getting a picture an hour at most after it was taken would change the way i hunt. Possibly if i was using it as a security camera i could justify it. Everyone has different needs and desires so if this one feature is the most important to you, running Cuddelinks in a network might not be for you.

Why would the camera shutdown to transmit? I receive pictures 30 seconds apart on my other cameras and they come through instantly.

As for why I need this feature, I’m hunting 60 acres that is long and thin and runs along 35k acre preserve. The animals see allot of human activity and move allot. Knowing where the animals are right before I hunt is VERY helpful to know where to go, or where to be very careful not to spook. And while in the stand, it is super nice to know to get down and not sit staring at squirrels for 3 hours and change to stalk hunt at the other end. Wild hogs move allot and are not predictable.

ill assume you have all other settings correct then, a common one is users have issues with is having CC mode set to "off". The test will still pass but images wont send if CC mode is set to off. if it still doesnt send and you can have the cell camera in front of you at some point you can call me and ill walk you thru the settings to be sure all are correct.

As an engineer I never assume anything. I do know CC is set to on.

I did not receive a single picture to this time! My other cameras show that I had hogs, deer and turkeys at the feeder since last night.

Currently I am staring at turkeys from a stand that I spooked a buck in the dark walking out to it this AM, because I had no idea he was there.

I’ll be out of the stand in about 30 minutes and would love some help to get this resolved.

BTW surveillance is another reason I want this to work, we have big issues with poachers here.

Attachments

• 18B4CCB2-73DF-427F-AA89-460B3FC30B24.jpeg
    18B4CCB2-73DF-427F-AA89-460B3FC30B24.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 48

mid you have time call me I or text me and I can run to comets within a short time... 7 two 7-459-five 593

Mr Volkman,

thank you for all your help and suggestion. I now have the issue resolved. Camera manual says SD card is not necessary, but it won’t arm without one. Found another manual online that says it has to have SD card......

Mr Volkman,

thank you for all your help and suggestion. I now have the issue resolved. Camera manual says SD card is not necessary, but it won’t arm without one. Found another manual online that says it has to have SD card......
Ok great , Sd card isn’t necessary when using camera as stand alone camera but anytime a camera is in cuddelink mode or cell mode it needs a card in it .

John do you know of any dealers that have the Cuddelink cap? I know Cabela's has them but I'm looking to see if I can get some deals below the $69.99 price
I saw a couple of these in Redding Hardware in Gettysburg, Pa today

Not yet, other than the cam powers on with 4 D's. Today is the last day of our archery season so I plan on playing with the cameras more in the next couple weeks.
Any further updates?

Does Cuddeback offer any sort of warranty claims for cameras that get wet? I've got a camera that I am almost certain has been submerged in all this recent flooding. I was able to get my others out but couldn't get to this one.

Hi all. I read somewhere that the Dual Cell Camera doesn't work without an activated cell plan but I was wondering if that just pertains to the camera and cell transmission of pictures or if the Cuddelink home feature would still work allowing me to use it as a cameraless home unit to collect pictures from linked remote cameras off its SD card manually or is the unit completely useless without activation. Thanks

Hi all. I read somewhere that the Dual Cell Camera doesn't work without an activated cell plan but I was wondering if that just pertains to the camera and cell transmission of pictures or if the Cuddelink home feature would still work allowing me to use it as a cameraless home unit to collect pictures from linked remote cameras off its SD card manually or is the unit completely useless without activation. Thanks
The Dual cell doesnt function in any way if a cell plan isnt active. The exception is- if you buy an annual plan, at the end of the yearly plan, the camera is then "unlocked" and can be used in any way. The reason for this is, the dual cell is sold @$200 retail which is at a loss for Cuddeback until a plan is purchased.
If you are looking for a unit that can be used as a cellular home unit and still be used as a non cell home to collect images from remote cameras without an active plan, there are a handful of retailers that still have some in stock. PM me is you are looking for one. The retail of the cell home unit is still $200 and it doesnt have a camera in it. The Dual cell is a better value unless you only want to use it as a cellular home unit for a few months a year.

The Dual cell doesnt function in any way if a cell plan isnt active. The exception is- if you buy an annual plan, at the end of the yearly plan, the camera is then "unlocked" and can be used in any way. The reason for this is, the dual cell is sold @$200 retail which is at a loss for Cuddeback until a plan is purchased.
If you are looking for a unit that can be used as a cellular home unit and still be used as a non cell home to collect images from remote cameras without an active plan, there are a handful of retailers that still have some in stock. PM me is you are looking for one. The retail of the cell home unit is still $200 and it doesnt have a camera in it. The Dual cell is a better value unless you only want to use it as a cellular home unit for a few months a year.
Thanks for the information, much appreciated But I wish that was explained in manual. I would have signed up for the annual plan, I could have been 6 months into unlocking it, now I essentially wasted 6 months. So I’ll have to sign up for another 12 months to unlock it, right?