Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I’m not following what you refer to as “breakaway”
I recall reading that the thin piece of plastic (3/4" x 1 1/2" and secured with two Phillips screws to camera) used as the slide-in mount is expressly designed to fail and leave the camera unit itself intact. Good for bears, but with a tug any thief can successfully remove anything mounted this way and have the camera remain intact. The Cuddelock clip 3303 would do nothing to thwart this, correct?

Last edited:
John, you mentioned “G cameras shipped later this summer will already be modified to use the Dual power bank.” Will the G cameras that are modified to use the Dual power bank still be able to use the older 3358 6 D power pack?

John, you mentioned “G cameras shipped later this summer will already be modified to use the Dual power bank.” Will the G cameras that are modified to use the Dual power bank still be able to use the older 3358 6 D power pack?
The 3358 won’t be produced once the dual power bank is available , you will want to use the dual power bank with the new g.

Will the existing J series solar units work with the dual power bank? Or will it require a specialized solar unit?

Will the existing J series solar units work with the dual power bank? Or will it require a specialized solar unit?
The existing solar panel will work .

I recall reading that the thin piece of plastic (3/4" x 1 1/2" and secured with two Phillips screws to camera) used as the slide-in mount is expressly designed to fail and leave the camera unit itself intact. Good for bears, but with a tug any thief can successfully remove anything mounted this way and have the camera remain intact. The Cuddelock clip 3303 would do nothing to thwart this, correct?
The mount I was referring to was the metal genius pan tilt mount not the plastic mount that is included with the cameras. With a $40 retail, designing and marketing a more expensive security device would not be a needed product for the vast majority of end users. We still have metal safes available for those that want to protect their cameras and the battery accessories can still be plugged in while the camera is in the safe.

The mount I was referring to was the metal genius pan tilt mount not the plastic mount that is included with the cameras. With a $40 retail, designing and marketing a more expensive security device would not be a needed product for the vast majority of end users. We still have metal safes available for those that want to protect their cameras and the battery accessories can still be plugged in while the camera is in the safe.

John, I am not refering to the plastic Genius mount included with the camera. See image below. The mount shown is intended to breakaway, correct? Use of the pan tilt mount has no effect on the breakaway function, does it?

This breakaway mount is on the back of my battery packs, and, on the back of every one of my $270 G-cameras.

The Cuddelock clip 3033 will, or will not, defeat this breakaway function?

Attachments

• 20190205_103235.jpg
    20190205_103235.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
John, I am not refering to the plastic Genius mount included with the camera. See image below. The mount shown is intended to breakaway, correct? Use of the pan tilt mount has no effect on the breakaway function, does it?

This breakaway mount is on the back of my battery packs, and, on the back of everyone of my $270 G-cameras.

The Cuddelock clip 3033 will, or will not, defeat this breakaway function?
The clip will not completely defeat it but if someone wants it off the tree bad enough it will come off , a safe is the only true way to secure it and even then a chainsaw would get the camera off the tree.

The clip will not completely defeat it but if someone wants it off the tree bad enough it will come off , a safe is the only true way to secure it and even then a chainsaw would get the camera off the tree.
John, I use the Cuddesafe on all my cameras. But that is because, as I understand it, the Cuddelock clip 3033 does absolutely nothing whatsoever to thwart the breakaway built in to the back of every Cuddeback camera and battery pack. Am I misinformed?... John, are you saying the clip does something (anything) to defeat or hinder the breakaway function in any way, shape, or form?

Last edited:
John, first time poster, long time user of a Cuddelink system here…Glad to hear about the new external “Dual Power Bank” option since short battery life has been my biggest gripe! Can you please elaborate on the G-series adapter cable you mentioned in your announcement…will existing G-series cameras need to be modified (like different housing/ports) or just simply use a different cable with the single existing port? Also, what about current J-series cams?...will this Dual Power Bank bolt onto the cam like the current 3495 pack or simply connect with a cable? If both of these camera series only require a cable, I’m having a hard time understanding how the cameras can logically switch between and report back status of the two separate banks???

John, I use the Cuddesafe on all my cameras. But that is because, as I understand it, the Cuddelock clip 3033 does absolutely nothing whatsoever to thwart the breakaway built in to the back of every Cuddeback camera and battery pack. Am I misinformed?... John, are you saying the clip does something (anything) to defeat or hinder the breakaway function in any way, shape, or form?
i would say it makes it much more difficult to get it off the tree, but if someone really wants to get it off the tree they can. The clip makes it much more difficult to do so. I will stop short of making any type of "absolute " claim but it definitely makes it difficult. I would say if theft is a major concern and you want to ensure that nobody can get it off the tree , keep using the safe. I watched someone try to get one of my cams off a tree in utah from afar and he couldn't do it.

John, first time poster, long time user of a Cuddelink system here…Glad to hear about the new external “Dual Power Bank” option since short battery life has been my biggest gripe! Can you please elaborate on the G-series adapter cable you mentioned in your announcement…will existing G-series cameras need to be modified (like different housing/ports) or just simply use a different cable with the single existing port? Also, what about current J-series cams?...will this Dual Power Bank bolt onto the cam like the current 3495 pack or simply connect with a cable? If both of these camera series only require a cable, I’m having a hard time understanding how the cameras can logically switch between and report back status of the two separate banks???
Existing G cams will simply need a different cable . The dual power bank doesnt bolt on like the 3495, it will nest into the genius mount or it can be mounted on the back side of the tree as an example with its own mount. The camera recognizes the two banks in the dual. Im sure there will be a firmware update needed for existing cams. Right now cams can recognize and switch to and from an external power source based on voltage level and it shows up on the report as such. Im not an electrical engineer but im relaying how it was explained to me.

Last edited:
So will the new dual power bank work with the current cell home model?

So will the new dual power bank work with the current cell home model?
YES- Dual power bank will work with ANY Cuddelink camera or unit. In a few cases, a adapter cord/cable will need to be used in the 2017,2018 model year G series and cell home, regular home units. Cuddeback will have theses when the Dual bank becomes available later in 2019.

All great news. I wish they'd ditch their whole genius mount, clips, and cheesy strap, for a standard strap with metal buckle. It is not an asset, rather a deficiency.

Hoping someone can help me out with some questions... I have been using cuddeback for years now but going to start utilizing the cuddelink this year... I had bought two g-series cameras without the caps. Unfortunately I had one stolen, so the questions I have are....
1) what are my best options of locking my cameras? I move my cameras often and most of the time they are on scrape lines so i don’t like the idea of the box. It seems bulky and very noticeable. i also want to remove as few locks as possible. I like the idea of using a cable so can I run a cable around the tree and be more deterant than just unstrapping the camera. Can this be done with the cuddelock clip? I’m not certain how the clip attaches...I can’t find any pictures or videos.

2) can I buy multiple cables but all unlock all with the same key so I don’t have to have multiple keys?

3) Can I get still get a cap for my g-series camera and use it as a cuddelink camera?

i would say it makes it much more difficult to get it off the tree, but if someone really wants to get it off the tree they can. The clip makes it much more difficult to do so. I will stop short of making any type of "absolute " claim but it definitely makes it difficult. I would say if theft is a major concern and you want to ensure that nobody can get it off the tree , keep using the safe. I watched someone try to get one of my cams off a tree in utah from afar and he couldn't do it.

Huh? I don't understand how it would be difficult.

Step 1... Grab the camera.
Step 2... Pull. (The small replaceable plastic tab breaks - freeing the camera.)
Step 3... Place camera in backpack and go on to the next one.

John, precisely how does the Cuddelock clip 3303 do anything to make the above more difficult?

Last edited:
I don't understand how it would be difficult

Step 1. Grab the camera.
Step 2. Pull.
Step 3. Small replacable plastic tab breaks (exactly as it is designed to).
Step 4. Place camera in backpack and go on to the next one.

John, precisely how does the Cuddelock clip 3303 do anything to make the above more difficult?
i think you keep asking me the same question looking for a different answer. Ill try one more time.
If you use the lock clip and a lock, it wont allow someone to pull the camera upward and remove it. The tab doesn't break as easily as you seem to believe. Can it break? yes... anything can break but it would be VERY hard for someone to just pull on the camera and break the tab off, if you have the bolt /screw tightened in the plastic tab to lock it to the camera it makes it VERY hard to break off. I think you are confusing a previous design with how the cameras are made now. i have answered this the best way i can, if its not what you are looking for in an answer i apologize. IF theft is a major concern of yours and you want to do everything you can to keep them from being stolen buy a safe for all your units. If you are just trying to deter theft, a lock tab on one of our metal genius mounts will work in most cases.

Hoping someone can help me out with some questions... I have been using cuddeback for years now but going to start utilizing the cuddelink this year... I had bought two g-series cameras without the caps. Unfortunately I had one stolen, so the questions I have are....
1) what are my best options of locking my cameras? I move my cameras often and most of the time they are on scrape lines so i don’t like the idea of the box. It seems bulky and very noticeable. i also want to remove as few locks as possible. I like the idea of using a cable so can I run a cable around the tree and be more deterant than just unstrapping the camera. Can this be done with the cuddelock clip? I’m not certain how the clip attaches...I can’t find any pictures or videos.

2) can I buy multiple cables but all unlock all with the same key so I don’t have to have multiple keys?

3) Can I get still get a cap for my g-series camera and use it as a cuddelink camera?

the best and safest option to lock your cameras up is with a cuddesafe, we have them for all existing cuddelink models. some of our genius mounts allow for a cable to run through them , in my opinion a cable is still bulky and cumbersome but you can buy multiple locks with the same key. IF you just need a clink cap, contact Cuddeback directly , they may still have some caps they can sell you to convert a g. At some point we wont be stocking the caps only since all cuddelink cameras come with cap or cuddelink installed so dont delay in contacting them for this.

Last edited:
All great news. I wish they'd ditch their whole genius mount, clips, and cheesy strap, for a standard strap with metal buckle. It is not an asset, rather a deficiency.
genius mount system isnt going anywhere but a new strap with buckle is a possibility. Ive been pushing for this myself . That said i like the genius system myself for ease of removing form the mount or tree while im working on the cameras. I agree on the need for a strap with metal buckle.