All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I finally broke down and bought bought a K camera and three J cameras. I must say the directions that came with the set are the most challenging instructions I have ever used. What buttons do I push On a J camera to get to CL Level?

go to commands, link menu then the more button until cl level comes up , it will take a minute to show the level, I would update your firmware to the gen 2 version. Its on the website under Gen 2 firmware. Copy or drag the file unzipped into your sd card then put in camera and go to commands, load firmware , once you have firmware loaded on all cameras then go thru and do you settings, check link level etc.

Also - how do I know if the K camera has enough cell service to operate and send pictures

Also - how do I know if the K camera has enough cell service to operate and send pictures
you run a cell test in the spot you are deploying the camera, this should be in your cell manual.

Attempted to deploy my system. Couldnt get enough cell signal in area to work. Kept backing away until I finally got enough signal to work. But now too far from the remotes to work. I will need a a repeater. However, my other three cameras will have to go through that single repeater - and any other cameras I might deploy. How many remotes will function properly going through one repeater?

Attempted to deploy my system. Couldnt get enough cell signal in area to work. Kept backing away until I finally got enough signal to work. But now too far from the remotes to work. I will need a a repeater. However, my other three cameras will have to go through that single repeater - and any other cameras I might deploy. How many remotes will function properly going through one repeater?
they can all run thru one but it will slow your system down - you will need to experiment with batch size on the cell home. Its always best to centralize the cell unit but if service is an issue it can run like you have it.

I have my system up and running. One K cam and three J’s - using one of the J’s as a repeater. Just ordered a Home unit to act as a repeater. Getting about 250 yards maximum between cameras for working link level. This is flat as a pancake, timbered bottomland. Afraid it is going to take a number of repeater or Home cameras to get this system to work on my place. As much as I want this system to work - the realistic answer is leaning more toward throwing in the towel and not spend anymore money. I have another sixty acre tract I think the four cameras and a home unit MIGHT work.

I have my system up and running. One K cam and three J’s - using one of the J’s as a repeater. Just ordered a Home unit to act as a repeater. Getting about 250 yards maximum between cameras for working link level. This is flat as a pancake, timbered bottomland. Afraid it is going to take a number of repeater or Home cameras to get this system to work on my place. As much as I want this system to work - the realistic answer is leaning more toward throwing in the towel and not spend anymore money. I have another sixty acre tract I think the four cameras and a home unit MIGHT work.

It’ll get better when leaves come off. It’s actually shocking how big of a difference humidity and leaves make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll get better when leaves come off. It’s actually shocking how big of a difference humidity and leaves make.

I run cameras 365 days a year. Our leaves come off mid November. Bow season opens in two weeks. I hog hunt, turkey hunt, monitor hog traps, etc - 365 days a year. I need something more than four months a year.

Yesterday evening, when I set the cameras - one of them had 38 on the link level. I noticed on the daily report, it had 16 at 4:00 in the morning. I guessed that was humidity or dew on the plants.

I run cameras 365 days a year. Our leaves come off mid November. Bow season opens in two weeks. I hog hunt, turkey hunt, monitor hog traps, etc - 365 days a year. I need something more than four months a year.

Yesterday evening, when I set the cameras - one of them had 38 on the link level. I noticed on the daily report, it had 16 at 4:00 in the morning. I guessed that was humidity or dew on the plants.

I hear ya buddy. I leave my cams out for the majority of the year too. Just tryin to be positive for ya. I centralize my home camera. The more you link the more of risk you have losing multiple cams. I try not to daisy chain any of them if I don’t have to.

I hear ya buddy. I leave my cams out for the majority of the year too. Just tryin to be positive for ya. I centralize my home camera. The more you link the more of risk you have losing multiple cams. I try not to daisy chain any of them if I don’t have to.

I cant help but do a lot of daisy chaining them. From the middle of my property - 1150 yards to the farthest foodplot west, and 1000 yards to the farthest foodplot east. And the whole western half has no cell phone service. It is long and narrow - but only about 350 acres. I am beginning to begrudgingly convince myself my property is not a good fit for a cuddelink system.

I cant help but do a lot of daisy chaining them. From the middle of my property - 1150 yards to the farthest foodplot west, and 1000 yards to the farthest foodplot east. And the whole western half has no cell phone service. It is long and narrow - but only about 350 acres. I am beginning to begrudgingly convince myself my property is not a good fit for a cuddelink system.

How many photos are you getting per day from the furthest from Home camera? Is your system being bogged down and are you getting several photos in the queue each report? Maybe you can just focus on the Eastern half of the property in areas you can't or don't want to enter to change SD cards?

This is probably more information than anyone cares about, but in my case, I have expanded the system to be 10 cameras deep for 160 acres (in addition to the +15 other trail cameras). It may not be the most efficient use of money for trail cameras, but many of these cameras only take 30-50 photos per week. And that's fine for me because I am still able to better understand how deer and other critters are using parts of our farm that we rarely get to see. I initially thought that 3-5 cameras would do everything I wanted with the Cuddelink system on our property. Obviously, I have been expanding because I recognize the value in being able to better understand my property, while disturbing its inhabitants as little as possible. Although I don't have enough time with the system to say if it will mean better hunts, it's been a lot of fun learning along the way.

@SwampCat Surprised to here about your difficulties. I have my cameras set up on 160 acres with an adjacent 110 acres lot. My Base station is set square in the middle of the 160 acres and I have no issues (despite having two large/deep canyons running through the property) - some of these cameras are close to 1/4 mile away from the base and deep in these "thick" canyons). On the adjacent 110 acres, I did deploy a Repeater - but thus far, none of the cameras even use it (it appears they may piggy back off another camera).

Here's a screenshot of my last report. Anything named after an animal is on my 160 acre lot. Anything named after a firearm manufacturer is on the adjacent 110 acres. Clover is my Repeater.Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 6.00.38 PM.png

@SwampCat Surprised to here about your difficulties. I have my cameras set up on 160 acres with an adjacent 110 acres lot. My Base station is set square in the middle of the 160 acres and I have no issues (despite having two large/deep canyons running through the property) - some of these cameras are close to 1/4 mile away from the base and deep in these "thick" canyons). On the adjacent 110 acres, I did deploy a Repeater - but thus far, none of the cameras even use it (it appears they may piggy back off another camera).

Here's a screenshot of my last report. Anything named after an animal is on my 160 acre lot. Anything named after a firearm manufacturer is on the adjacent 110 acres. Clover is my Repeater.View attachment 31551

The western side of my property has no cell service - necessitating that the cell cam sits middle of the property and every camera on the west side has to go through the repeater to get to the cell cam.

When I get the home camera in, I think I am going to load them all up and head to my 60 acre tract. I will only put cameras on about 33 acres of it - and not sure that will work as two of the cameras will be almost 300 yards from another camera. That is not working now in similar ground. I just don't see the value in having to buy almost as many repeaters as cameras.

The western side of my property has no cell service - necessitating that the cell cam sits middle of the property and every camera on the west side has to go through the repeater to get to the cell cam.

When I get the home camera in, I think I am going to load them all up and head to my 60 acre tract. I will only put cameras on about 33 acres of it - and not sure that will work as two of the cameras will be almost 300 yards from another camera. That is not working now in similar ground. I just don't see the value in having to buy almost as many repeaters as cameras.
You shouldn’t be buying repeaters , you can use cameras as links and still have them taking inges . The only use for a repeater in a system is to connect other cameras in a spot where you have no desire to get pictures

What state are you located in with this system?

You shouldn’t be buying repeaters , you can use cameras as links and still have them taking inges . The only use for a repeater in a system is to connect other cameras in a spot where you have no desire to get pictures

that is my intent - to use a repeater in an area there is no need for a camera and put it up as high off the ground as I can reach to improve reception

A
What state are you located in with this system?

Arkansas. I still have one other thing I want to try. I can put my cell cam up on a ridge - 100 ft a above the bottoms. It would be 800 yards to a camera - through a lot of tree tops. I just dont think this area is a good fit

A

Arkansas. I still have one other thing I want to try. I can put my cell cam up on a ridge - 100 ft a above the bottoms. It would be 800 yards to a camera - through a lot of tree tops. I just dont think this area is a good fit
high humidity/temps and heavy green foliage restricts the range if your gaol is to cover a large amount of acreage with few cameras then that situation will be a struggle . I have experienced connections in excess of 1.5 miles when putting a unit up high . running your home cell unit up high can help as well since cell signal is typically higher there. .

high humidity/temps and heavy green foliage restricts the range if your gaol is to cover a large amount of acreage with few cameras then that situation will be a struggle . I have experienced connections in excess of 1.5 miles when putting a unit up high . running your home cell unit up high can help as well since cell signal is typically higher there. .

right now, the system is ok. I plan on putting another three cameras down there. I foresee the biggest problem being the cameras will all have to daisy chain through the one repeater. I think the biggest problem is lack of cell service. If I had cell service in that area and could put the Cell cam in the middle of it, I would be Ok. As it is, the cell service is only on the very NE corner - so every camera has to send that direction.