Crimson Clover in soybeans

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
Trying my take on a small 1/3 acre late June planted soybean plot, so far milorganite has been keeping the critters out, and i have good germination on the soybeans, but my crimson clover reseeded very heavy, hopefully the beans will keep growing above the crimson, If i decide to spray the plot with gly, will the clover die or just get knocked back some, i kind of hate to kill the clover, but i want the beans to do good.

I just rolled the dice on Tuesday with a similar deal. I am improving my soil with the a version of the LC mix and I just sprayed gly over 2 plots that were covered in pretty good looking clover. The main reason I sprayed was this grass that appeared in the plot, in the past when I have seen it, it starts and spreads very fast and can drown out other plants. I was hoping to just spread the WR, oats and peas into the clover and roll it in. It was hard driving the wheeler back and forth on the clover and I questioned it the whole time. Some say the gly just knocks clover back, I will let you know in a couple weeks when I get back up to the plots.

I have hit established perennial white clovers with gly and it bounced back just fine once the cooler weather moved in. However annual clovers, I would suspect may be a different issue. A perennial plant has some energy reserves in their root system, while annual plants for the most part do not. As far as with beans.....the beans will be fine as long as they are above the clover and can continue to get sunlight and ample moisture. Beans will compete with weeds fairly well. IF you have concerns.....you could plug a few of the nozzles on your sprayer and remove the clover in strips to give the clover some room if needed....without killing all the clover out of the plot or turn your sprayer off and on as you go across the plot as well. Just some ideas....

Crimson is an annual and is likely acting as a reseeding annual in your case. I'd spray it with gly asap. That will release your beans (assuming RR beans).

Thanks,

Jack

I have decided not to spray for now, the beans seem to be staying above the clover, it has rained here about every day this week, and i don't want to spend any more $ on milorganite, if the beans get hammered at least the clover will be there.