Crabapple timeline

I have seen black squirrels go in cycles. In an area, then years or decades later, in a different area. I suspect genetic changes from movements and perhaps some in breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to get too far off subject, but, when I was a kid, all we had were reds and fox squirrels. Very rarely saw a gray. Never heard if a black squirrel. Then, slowly through the decades we started getting more grays, then recently blacks. Now it's rare to see fox squirrels. Somethings changed here.

Attachments

• dug-squirrel.jpg
    dug-squirrel.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 11
Not to get too far off subject, but, when I was a kid, all we had were reds and fox squirrels. Very rarely saw a gray. Never heard if a black squirrel. Then, slowly through the decades we started getting more grays, then recently blacks. Now it's rare to see fox squirrels. Somethings changed here.

As my woods have gotten thicker, the fox squirrels are seldom seen. I think they prefer a more open woods with little underbrush.

Fox squirrels on fencelines/edges, grays further in to the woods.
Generally speaking, I agree with that, but I have grays where I used to see only fox's. It's like they are getting pushed out. Too bad, because I prefer the big fox squirrels.
Anyway, back to crap apples! 😄

We all talk abut deer hunting, but it wasn't too long ago, us trophy hunters would only be hunting squirrel in ohio. I used to be on the old cabelas forum, i think it wanted to the lone eagle lodge forum. Used to be an old timer from ohio that would talk about squirrel hunting in ohio. Think he was in the dayton area.

I used to be a lever gun collector, Winchester made a ohio rifle opener commerative gun when deer hunting was opened every year.

We all talk abut deer hunting, but it wasn't too long ago, us trophy hunters would only be hunting squirrel in ohio. I used to be on the old cabelas forum, i think it wanted to the lone eagle lodge forum. Used to be an old timer from ohio that would talk about squirrel hunting in ohio. Think he was in the dayton area.

I used to be a lever gun collector, Winchester made a ohio rifle opener commerative gun when deer hunting was opened every year.

My maternal grandfather was from Kentucky, on the River banks across from Ohio.

He always talked about squirrel hunting and loved it. I never could understand his enthusiasm for it.

I took a tour on snowshoes and took a few pictures to get this thread back on crab apples.

I saw some turkeys and heard one partridge (grouse). Not a pheasant in sight.
b53eed5a24a197cd002cbb1cd88f3899.jpg

Corn plot on the right, crab apples on the left. Not a great apple crop this year.
663f6c52cedd132e9b281c66cc33005b.jpg

Linda Sweet still holding some fruit.
e68411b85d990ba354193f59f70be57a.jpg

The fruit is just under two inches in diameter. I think this is the year of first fruit and the fruit will tend smaller after this.

Corn plot on the right, crab apples on the left. Not a great apple crop this year.
663f6c52cedd132e9b281c66cc33005b.jpg

I don’t know left from right!

The deer are getting a little use out of this Morse Bunches Crab.
3b16551ec12588f61e9a3e987f6d2e31.jpg

I know some call these "bird crabs" over fruit size but I still like to have a few around.
Birds/bunnies/squirrels/deer/turkeys/grouse can all use them in winter...and they are great pollinators with the bloom they put on....so bees hit them like crazy.

Bur -
2 questions ..... how big is the fruit on the Morse "bunches" crab??
Did you take down the fence you had around the group "cluster" of crabs, plums(?) etc. that were all in a fence together?? If so - how are those trees doing??

I agree with having the smaller "bird crabs" for various critters and for pollination. The deer, grouse, foxes, turkeys, and birds all eat them all winter long. Win-win trees.

Bur -
2 questions ..... how big is the fruit on the Morse "bunches" crab??
Did you take down the fence you had around the group "cluster" of crabs, plums(?) etc. that were all in a fence together?? If so - how are those trees doing??

I agree with having the smaller "bird crabs" for various critters and for pollination. The deer, grouse, foxes, turkeys, and birds all eat them all winter long. Win-win trees.

I haven’t taken down the fences but probably should. There are some smaller trees in there. Maybe I should individually fence them or just admit they are poor doers.