Crabapple timeline

Here is another red crab that I'm happy with. It's the Dolgo that WG sells. I have 3 of these, and at first I wasn't happy because it seemed they dropped too late. But now that they are maturing, I'm getting a good drop beginning in October and continuing deep into the winter. They are also very disease resistant.

QHOSmb3.jpg

GIOzG8W.jpg

Who's WG? I have some dolgo that are just starting to produce but the apples are oblong. I like your's better.

Who's WG? I have some dolgo that are just starting to produce but the apples are oblong. I like your's better.
The Wildlife Group in Alabama.

I am guessing Wildlife Group.

Was typing at the same time as Native I guess.

217590f3f7b9eeb355771aa51e68fd17.jpg

Frostbite is on the menu tonight.

Within 100 yards are turnips, radishes, alfalfa, and corn.

And apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

217590f3f7b9eeb355771aa51e68fd17.jpg

Frostbite is on the menu tonight.

Within 100 yards are turnips, radishes, alfalfa, and corn.

And apples.

I had a Frostbite tree loaded, then I left for the weekend, and came back and there isnt an apple on the tree, or on the ground, not sure what took them, no broken branches, so no bear, I I doubt a racoon, because there were no broken branches. I assume squirrel?

I had a Frostbite tree loaded, then I left for the weekend, and came back and there isnt an apple on the tree, or on the ground, not sure what took them, no broken branches, so no bear, I I doubt a racoon, because there were no broken branches. I assume squirrel?

Hungry neighbor?

;)

I’m can’t hardly chase the deer out of my yard with a stick lately with my home orchard dropping. Had a fawn in there when I got home from work yesterday walked in the house he ran off. I was in the house few minutes and went walk to the garage and he was back under a Red Delicious tree already. My Red Delicious, Haralson, Freedom and a rootstock tree that died back to the graft that maybe Antinovca still holding apples. There are a few Liberty and Enterprise hanging on also.

Just a few days ago, I cleaned the apples off of the frostbite and Kerr crab, and threw them outside of the cages. Then I mowed inside of the cages.
I had several hundred apples on the ground. Yesterday there were about 6-8 left.

06b6b03efc7a84ae70f4ea40099eafa2.jpg

Last night, six deer were eating squash and the few drops under Haralred that I had not cleaned up.

Meanwhile, some dummy is getting things together to go bow hunt in the northwoods!

I don’t really intend to shoot a deer up there anyway, but will just read a book or whittle on fish decoys. I go more for memory’s sake of hunting in my younger days.

In Minnesota, we are only allowed one buck per year and I would like to keep my tag for rifle season. But if a big one shows up while bow hunting, who knows....

Update for the end of Oct.
Both Honeygold holding well. Have heard mention that it might get some disease but no problems where I am. I like it...
DSC02290 Honeygold West (Lg).JPG

Franklin Cider still has at least half or more still hanging on a couple trees. At this point after 3 yrs of fruiting will give it a tentative thumbs up for a wildlife tree as these are still holding their shape well. Have a grafted Dolgo that has maybe a dozen or so but mummies, that tree was really done back in Sept so good for earlier.
DSC02291 Franklin Cider West (Lg).JPG

1 of 4 Ranetka Crabs also still has some hanging. These have been slowly dropping since mid or late Sept. This tree has suffered some critter abuse over the years and lost a top so guess it gets a thumbs up from the wildlife too. Like some of the Dolgo seedlings, I think Ranetka at times can provide some decent wildlife trees for later in fall
DSC02294 Ranetka B2 (Lg).JPG

My Enterprise only had two apples this year and both still hanging. Picked one of them to taste. Came off easily so expect the other to fall soon anyway. After having multiple frosts, this apple was still very good to eat, skin is a bit tough but other than that very white flesh, juicy and firm. Hope this tree starts to do better with production soon.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I grabbed a Haralred from the tree after multiple frosts. I think it has started to ferment. Those deer might be pretty happy after eating Haralred!

Here is a roadside find I am calling SignalFire because the fruit can be seen from such a long distance. This is the first tree that I ever grafted, 12 years ago. I have sent scion to a couple of HT members, back when I was calling it Bowling Center crab. The fruit is brite red, 1.3” & very persistent, with some holding until March. SignalFire has been vigorous, productive, annual and disease free for me in zone 4a/4b.

This first photo was taken on Oct. 10.
E524D467-994F-48AD-A507-33039475C4FA.jpeg64264837-1C81-494A-B967-7E9D4BC7BD4E.jpeg
This 2nd photo was Oct. 11th

Last edited:
And this last photo was also Nov. 11th, the black squirrels have been working on the fruit, as there are no acorns this fall.
C081B03C-8017-416C-A223-D5D1B2BECE98.jpeg

Can I get some of that next year? Looks like a great tree.

Can I get some of that next year? Looks like a great tree.
Absolutely.

PM me your mailing address and I’ll put you on my scion list.

I like it, the only tree I have grafted more of than this one is Kerr.

But the search for the ultimate deer apple continues…

Last edited:
Years ago, I got paid to do small game hunting at a local apple orchard. $5 per squirrel. Lots of squirrel chili for a few years. They have trouble holding onto the apples. take a few bites and move onto another. Lots of losses for orchard owners, much worse than bears or deer..

The antonovka graftings. Anything that jives well with the rootstocks? I am grafting for my home in 5a and putting some up in the adirondacks in zone 3A. Thinking 1/2 of the home and up north ones will be freedom. They're a anty crossed with maucon. The other half was thiking some sort of crabapple. Getting enterprise, liberty, crossbow, 30-06, and hopefully a droptine or two sometime this month. Rototilled and dug down the taproot center of the new spots yesterday, as well as transplanting some bareroots back to the nursery spot.

One of my favorite zone 3 apples for eating and generally a great apple is Fireside not necessarily the best wildlife apple but a great apple.

I just planted one this year. I am planning on planting a KinderKrisp as well for yard apples.