Crabapple timeline

a55809157dd7c46d8b726a6de13b7c08.jpg

Perhaps this one deserves a name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5bd4ef6e4ec00065f76945ef7dc35d26.jpg

Yup, they are getting used.

5fa66805751a56155bde839966f17ec8.jpg

These are not worth the effort. I think they have been dropped from the inventory. They are a bunch of seedlings that only a few were hardy. Maybe one had one inch crabs.

My advice, plant dolgo seedling rootstock instead.

Love the looks of that Buckman!
I wish I could have got a few ordered.

I did my post rifle season scouting walk. I have not looked at most of these apple trees in almost two months.
This is Wotanda. The fruit load broke my graft off. Most of the apples fell off when I touched them. I did salvage just a few seeds which I will pass on to a friend who is in the wildlife tree business.

The apples are not fit for eating, possibly ok for hard cider and might be good for wildlife after this time of year. I will try and salvage some scion.
c42dd496b8a79cec22ad543fa7149c34.jpg

With all that fruit hanging yet, hopefully deer season was good for you Art!!

Congrats on a great season! Wow, that Buckman crab is really impressive! I've been trying to get one from Blue hill for a while to no avail.

Congrats on a great season! Wow, that Buckman crab is really impressive! I've been trying to get one from Blue hill for a while to no avail.
Me too.
I ended up buying some rootstock for next spring. Hope to graft them eventually.

I think Ryan will have his own scion source soon. When Buckman has this heavy fruit load, along with summer drought, I won’t have much of any scion.

Thanks for the pictures and info. Do you still think that yellow dog is a columbia?

I think Ryan will have his own scion source soon. When Buckman has this heavy fruit load, along with summer drought, I won’t have much of any scion.

Sandbur,
Do you have Turning Point? If so, how does it look?
That's another that I'm interested in.

Thanks!

d9a1b193901dab6dddb8d42ffa9f00f7.jpg

Still a winner.
Planting a few from Ryan in the spring. Can't wait !!!!

YOUR Buckman seedlings are still growing in pots at my home. They're lagging behind the Yellow Dog seedlings for growth, but are doing just fine. Your Buckman seedlings will go in the ground in the spring too. Caged and screened.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures and info. Do you still think that yellow dog is a columbia?

No, I think Big Dog is a Columbia.

Yellow Dog is a seedling, either a mix up from a Manchurian Crab order or more likely a seedling from my wife’s Grandma.

Sandbur,
Do you have Turning Point? If so, how does it look?
That's another that I'm interested in.

Thanks!

Not yet, but I am considering it.

I just ordered a couple Franklin Cider trees looking forward to getting them in the ground next spring. I’ll bury the graft and let them self root may take longer to produce apples but they should be some large trees when mature.
Hope you don’t have fire blight around

Nice thanks for the insight I will see. I have had fireblight issues with pears in the past these maybe a bust. There is always some uncertainty in trying new verities. I ordered some Harrison apple trees also will see how well they fair in my heavy CAR infected area. I absolutely love Honeycrisp apples and cannot grow them here at all do to disease issues.

5a057ac54a0ec5545baf15d7b6d3d139.jpg

Season has been closed for three days and they are back in the yard eating crabs and squash. Next they headed to the corn plot.

I'm happy to see your herd has rebounded from a few years back. I remember when you and Stu were looking to even see a deer - numbers were really low as I recall. It's great you all tagged out this year, and you have deer left over to keep enjoying what you've planted / nursed into production. Nice to see!!!

Sanbur, I am in approximately the same climate you are in, just east about a hundred mile. What would you recommend for a tree that will hold into December, that is actually available to purchase somewhere? I am placing a few tree orders to places that are taking orders now, and would like to get a few more trees the will produce well, and drop late November early December. I ask you, because of all of the awesome pictures you post of the several trees you have still holding apples.