Crab Apple seeds

chummer

5 year old buck +
I have a tree in my neighborhood still loaded with 2" apples. They have slowly been dropping for the last month. Can I still harvest some seeds from them or is it to late? We have had a few nights below 32 but nothing crazy yet, 8 being the lowest. I tried planting 100 seeds from them two years ago but I got them off the tree in February. That was a very cold winter. Out of 100 only one sprouted and then died. I may learn how to graft just for this tree. It drops from Decemper to March and is loaded every year. Until then I would like to get some seedlings started.

I sure think they would still be fine.

Clean the seeds and put them in the fridge with some wet paper towels. Keep an eye on them.

-John

I sure think they would still be fine.

Clean the seeds and put them in the fridge with some wet paper towels. Keep an eye on them.

-John
How long do I keep them in the fridge. I was going to put them right in the dirt.

I'm no expert, but I've done it in the past with great success so I feel qualified to give you some recommendations :)

Clean them really well (you don't want them getting moldy) and put them in moist paper towel inside a ziploc bag. Throw the bag in the fridge.

Keep an eye on them both for mold and growth. Typically about 8 weeks later they will shoot a little root out when they start growing. When they do, put them in some soil under a grow light.

You'll have small trees by spring!

Good luck,

-John

I'm no expert, but I've done it in the past with great success so I feel qualified to give you some recommendations :)

Clean them really well (you don't want them getting moldy) and put them in moist paper towel inside a ziploc bag. Throw the bag in the fridge.

Keep an eye on them both for mold and growth. Typically about 8 weeks later they will shoot a little root out when they start growing. When they do, put them in some soil under a grow light.

You'll have small trees by spring!

Good luck,

-John
Awesome. Thank you.

Just keep in mind that even crab apples do not grow true to seed. The crabs you get on the seedlings could be completely different from the parent tree. Just be prepared to graft to them once they start producing, just in case they only produce tiny 1/2" 'bird food' sized crabs. Feeding the tweeters isn't a bad thing, but if these are for a hunting stand location, you may want to prepare yourself to graft some known varieties later on.

Just keep in mind that even crab apples do not grow true to seed. The crabs you get on the seedlings could be completely different from the parent tree. Just be prepared to graft to them once they start producing, just in case they only produce tiny 1/2" 'bird food' sized crabs. Feeding the tweeters isn't a bad thing, but if these are for a hunting stand location, you may want to prepare yourself to graft some known varieties later on.

Good point. At worst you'll have grown some good root stock. At best you'll get something new that the critters like even better!

-John

I know, and I have enough bird feeding crabs now! I figure the off spring have to be at least half the parent, or am I wrong on that. Actually, this tree may not even be considered a crab. It looks like a very old tree and probably grew wild since it is on an old hedge row. I will grab a picture of the tree. Basically, I am bored and it looks like winter is coming for good next week. I need a project. After my 100 seeds failed the first time I threw in some seeds out of pears and apples we bought at the store. A few of those grew and I moved them to my garden box. The voles killed all but 3 but after two summers they are 6' tall. That has given me some hope to grow trees from seeds. Even better, I think two of those trees are pears. They made it through the worst ever winter and took off this year. After all the pears from cummins have struggled and died back every winter I may have grown two winners from seed, from a random grocery store pear.

I don't know what the % of parent you can expect. But as you've said, its fun so what the heck.

I found a picture of the apples and pears I grew indoors in 2012:
2-4-12 Apple & Pears 20 (resized).JPG

I remember being like a kid in a candy store checking on them everyday.

It's time to grow something!

-John

It might not take too much stratifying since they have been stratifying on the tree.

At worst, Chummer, you have rootstock like the other guys said or you could plant some in a garden spot and let 'em grow for a year. Then you could advertise some on local CL and sell 'em for $5 - $10 per tree to local outdoors / wildlife types for feeding critters. You won't get rich, but the $$ may fill a tank for trips to the new property !! All from free seed.

I have seedlings that I am very happy with. I would estimate 1/4 of my seedlings are bird crabs, but that is OK.

grouse in flowering crab.jpg

The sweet red crab is a decent seedling.
IMG_8217.JPG

I have top worked some seedlings, but I think I will let the nurse limb grow on a those that have not fruited yet.
IMG_9400.JPG

Various seedlings.....

IMG_8004 2 2008 seed collection.jpg 2008 seed collection

IMG_8005 2 2008 seed collection.jpg

From same seed collection. I had to stake this tree up as it was tipping over form the fruit load.

You can see the variation. different drop times, different sizes of crabs, and also different hardiness to a slight extent.

Even if you get 1/2" size crabapples, the deer should still eat them. We have several trees with 1/2" fruit and the deer clean up all drops and reach up as high as they can to nibble them off the limbs. Red ones and yellow ones. Grouse eat the higher ones left on the tree. Can't lose !!

Agree with BnB. Crabapples on the #5 tree range from 1/2 inch to 1 inch and the deer love them, even now as their fermenting on the tree. I give the tree a shake in the evening to drop some & their cleaned up by morning.
5%20crabs%201-10-16%20003_zpsomkrvlg5.jpg

I think the best part of planting seedlings is the variety. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. The only problem is you have to wait a few years to see what you have. Those look like winners for sure Sandbur! Has anyone planted seedlings close together with the plan of removing the less desirable ones after their first fruit. You would be releasing the winners from the losers. I bet Trump has.

I think the best part of planting seedlings is the variety. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. The only problem is you have to wait a few years to see what you have. Those look like winners for sure Sandbur! Has anyone planted seedlings close together with the plan of removing the less desirable ones after their first fruit. You would be releasing the winners from the losers. I bet Trump has.
I would plant them a bit further apart and topwork the bad ones. Or grow a thicket!